1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Fanhouse] Dwyane Wade WTC remarks...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Miguel, Jul 18, 2010.

1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Its not just dumb guys.........its just insensitive. Period.

2. Steve_Francis_rules

If you read the updated quote, he was not comparing the two. He was saying that people were going to overreact as if it was something important, when it's only basketball games.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I see your point... but I still like to think that if the Heat losses 3-4 games in a row, the Government will start looking for Bin Laden.

4. Kate81

Kate81 Member

If he really said that...

C'mon Wade you're smarter than that, leave the stupid comments to Artest.

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Looks like he did indeed say those comments because he is apologizing for them.

Fanhouse is a dick for editing it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkDvULiWb8nAnVa5JtyhyZ68vLYF?slug=ap-heat-wadegaffe

6. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Actually they should have edited it b/c they got it wrong the first time:

AOL Fanhouse initially reported the guard saying: “If we lose a couple in a row this season, it will be like the World Trade (Center) is coming down again.”

Hours later, AOL Fanhouse published a different version of the quote, citing a transcription error and an editor’s note saying, “we deeply regret the error.”

Here's the original quote:

“There’s going to be times when we might lose one, two games in a row, maybe two games, three games in a row, you never know. It’s going to seem like the world is crashed down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade has just went down again. But it’s not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games lost and we’ll have to get back on track.”

There's a significant difference there.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

"It appears that my reference to the World Trade Center has been either inaccurately reported or taken completely out of context. I was simply trying to say that losing a few basketball games should not be compared to a real catastrophe."

lol. sad how dim-witted these morons are. sounds like it was reported pretty accurately and not taken out of context at all, buddy. we understand what you were trying to say.

they should ask him to say it again. there's no way he can word it any differently using a reference to the WTC to make it any less insensitive.

he should just say that he really doesn't have good command of the English language and is dumb as nails, but all that matters is that he knows how to put the round orange ball into the little hoop. would absolve him from any future moronic **** he says in the future.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

you being serious?? there is a slight to no difference there. it's saying the exact same thing. bringing the WTC up in the context of losing basketball games is equally insensitive no matter what words surround it.

9. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Come on now, it's not the exact same thing. The way it was first reported made it sound like Wade made a direct comparison with losing to 9/11. The actual version was Wade saying the media would overreact to them losing and treat it like 9/11, when it should NOT be. There's a subtle, but significant difference there. One is a direct comparison of basketball to 9/11, the other is a reference in regards to the media attention. Are both versions in bad taste and not p/c? Sure, but I really don't think he meant any harm by it.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

everybody knows he didn't mean any harm by it. he's just too stupid to know better.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Or he just misspoke, which can happen to anybody. And his actual quote isn't offensive. Its hyperbole, not meant to be taken as an actual comparison.

[rquoter]
    “There’s going to be times when we might lose one, two games in a row, maybe two games, three games in a row, you never know. It’s going to seem like the world is crashed down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade has just went down again. But it’s not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games lost and we’ll have to get back on track.”[/rquoter]

#91 durvasa, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yes. But people want to believe the worst so they will ignore the actual semantics.

And FWIW, I agree it's just a bad idea to bring up 9/11 these days unless you're paying tribute.

Wade tried to come up with an analogy on the spot, he just came up with a really bad one. I don't think Wade is narcissistic enough to believe they are actually comparable, even though that's not what he even implied.

13. soydeedo

soydeedo Member

Here's the video of the original quote and subsequent apology:

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=5392799"/></object>

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5392799

14. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Wow...

...it seems way too many people overreact way too much.

He was saying that people would make a HUGE tragedy out of nothing. Hence, he's saying the WTC was a huge tragedy, and that losing a few basketball games is nothing.

I don't get what everybody is fussing about...

And Fanhouse should be apologizing - their lousy, lazy reporting created this mess.

15. Gooshie

Gooshie Member

This reminds me of a few years ago when Kevin Garnett said that the playoffs were going to be a war. The interwebs brigade threw a hissy fit about that back then too.

He probably should've known people were going to overreact, but I don't really care about his choice of hyperbole. I feel bad for those truly upset by these kinds of things. Your lives must be very, very taxing.

16. soydeedo

soydeedo Member

I wish I could give you rep. This just made my day. =)

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

man...it makes your day knowing that other peoples lives are taxed? you are going to make yourself sound like Hitler, the guy who slaughtered all those jews.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I've BEEN saying that D Wade is equally as douchy as the other stars but gets away with it :grin:

His revised quote is okay. He poked a jab at the journalists for possible overreaction . So of course the journalists will get him back the way CAN, by deliberately taking his quote out of context. His hyperbole at them got turned into hyperbole back at him.

19. Prince

Prince Member

hmmnn, we have a new tmac.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think people should get so worked up about this. I don't see why it is so offensive.