1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[REAL GM] Insider proposed Rockets deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bbllr3431, Jul 16, 2010.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hmn, point taken as well. I think the difference might be the fact that Ariza's handles are pretty poor, whereas Iggy is much better in this area.

Iggy also brings to the table what the coaches are wanting out of Jermaine Taylor. Quick, can take it to the rim. And he's already doing these things in games, whereas JT is still learning. And JT's next assist might be his first.

I won't say he's Tracy McGrady in the passing department, but Tracy could never play anyway, always being on the bench or playing with his kids out there at home in First Colony.

It all comes down to whether the asking price is too high for Morey, and how he weighs that asking price against what the coaching staff wants. Apparently when the 76ers came to town, one of the BBS members saw the game live and mentioned how intent the Rockets' coaching staff was on Iguodala's every move---not only because he was an opposing player, but the interest seemed more avid than usual. This was before the trade deadline, I believe.

Personal vote, I think Iguodala balances out our roster pretty well. Whether he puts us into the top 4 in the West (I would vote he does, since we have such depth that a trade would not gut the roster) would be another question.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

meh, those are fair points. But the reason I don't get too worked up over these deals is I have faith that Morey already has a plan with regards to the upcoming horizon. It's tough for the fans because we don't know the plan and can only speculate on the players and contracts as they relate right now to the team. But who knows if we are only half-way through Morey's plan?

We do know that Morey has given himself some "outs" via the partial guarantees on those deals. And they aren't that long in years (compared to some past non-morey deals). And we see that Les feels comfortable in going over the LT line this year. Are we "all in" now? Does that mean we are willing to take on more Salary now?

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I might argue that Iguodala would at least put us closer to contention. Beat the Lakers? Tough one, but Iguodala and Shane (if he's still here) could help guard Kobe.

In any case, Les' recent moves seem to fly in the face of "Les not paying the luxury tax". Granted, he probably told DM that "I'll have faith in your next moves, but I don't want to pay all this money and get flushed out of the first round, even the second round; if whatever you do isn't working by February, either work on an alternate move to make us better by the deadline or find a way to get under the tax by then".

4. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Can we just get him already please......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

No. Better to wait during the season or up until the trade deadline to see who else might be available. We need a star/closer. Don't settle for less just for the sake of making a trade. Maximize our assets and don't just waste em.

6. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

True, worst possible scenario is Philly being 35-5 in Feb and they decide to keep Iggy.. I just wanted to buy a new jersey :grin:

7. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

Les has already spent big money on keeping Scola and Lowry and paying Miller, and has shown no hesitation in buying picks. Les is one of the best owner in the league when it comes willingness to spend to win.

Iggy's contract is 12million with a 1 million increase per season till 2014, while it is large it is in no way a overburdening contract.

On the picks, keep in mind with the serious possibility of a lockout and uncertainty of the CBA, those who could declare for the draft already have (this year's draft) in order to sign a contract before the possible lockout. And those who could come out next year would most likely stay in college given the possibility of a lockout during the 11/12 season. These combining circumstances could possibly make the 2011 draft one of the weakest draft in history while significantly improving the amount of talent available in the 2012 draft.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No getting under the tax threshold this year. It's unavoidable at this point.

Article forthcoming about the new deals and the salary cap consequences, this year and next summer.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

LOL Just be patient. Who knows, we might end up buying Rockets' Paul, Anthony, or Granger jerseys. ;)

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I wouldn't hold your breath. None of those guys are available, and Morey doesn't like Melo either by the way.

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

This would be an excellent move that consolidates the team's assets.

12. moreyball

moreyball Member

List of elite/close to elite point guards:

Chris Paul - does not like the situation in New Orleans
    Deron Williams - did not want boozer gone, lost korver and brewer as well
    Steve Nash - Loyal to his team, but i'm sure he knows his team isn't going to win a championship.
    Rajon Rondo - not getting traded to Houston
    Jason Kidd- not getting traded to Houston
    Derrick Rose - not getting traded to Houston
    Chauncey Billups - close to elite
    Tony Parker - close to elite, but not getting traded to houston
    Gilbert Arenas - Best scoring pg in the league when healthy
    John Wall - not getting traded

As can be seen, close to a third of NBA teams have an elite point guard or someone close to being elite in that position. There's way more elite point guards than there are even elite centers in this league. The only problem is that not many of these point guards will realistically be traded to Houston, if any at all. I was just making a point that it would be GREAT if we could land someone like Chris Paul or Deron Williams in a three-way trade. It's not likely, but I can dream can't I?

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Post one credible link that exactly says Igoudala is on the trade block. Yes, none of those 3 players are available.. YET. Exactly why we have to wait up until the trade deadline. Say we trade for Iggy now and use our important assets then CP3,Melo, or Granger suddenly become available? Then we're left with Iggy for the next several years and missing out on a rare golden chance to sign one of those stars.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BIMA, I was really hoping for a new article from you with these recent events. Great to hear!!

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think the rockets won't make a big move untill the trade deadline.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

True, but what would be interesting in the impact of these deals NEXT year and beyond.

Because honestly, with Insurance paying the major salaries for the Rockets these last 2 years, the organization has banked more than enough $$$$ to take a one year hit.

In fact, I would be willing to bet these have been the two most profitable years for the Rockets, of all time.

In your opinion is this just a one year deal, or is it something that will continue going forward?

DD

17. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Great point. I have really been wondering how the insurance effected Les' earnings last season. Is there any site to see how much a team profitted in a season? I think the Rockets have a growing popularity in the city of Houston and beyond, even after a mediocre season. So I'm sure Les made some good money last year. How much did the Rockets re-coop with the insurance last season?? I would really like Bima to hit on this subject.

18. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

When is the trade deadline? Can the Rox even afford Granger? I'd rather have Granger over Iggy any day of the week but would not mind snaggin' up Iggy before his stock increases.

19. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Trade deadline is mid-Feb. Can we afford Granger? Yes and No. We can't afford to just out right add him for a draft pick (zero dollar value) but we could trade a combination of players to get closer to this salary.

20. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

The insurance paid had no effect on the Rocket's cap situation. Les is one of the best owners in the league when it comes to willingness to spend to improve the team and more importantly giving Morey the freedom to change the roster as he see fit.