1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Miller signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jaingfang, Jul 17, 2010.

Tags:
?

Brad Miller the next Brent Barry

1. yes-he will run out of gas like Brent

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. no-he will be a solid contributor & play well

46 vote(s)
    80.7%
  1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

This is going to be big for our defense because Miller, as a good outside/offensive threat, enables us to play Hayes.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

watch a basketball game. 15 million is way too much and this all falls on Adelman.

freaking b*stard. first he breaks yao's foot now he gets his old buddy a huge payday.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As rileydog says i'm never satisfied, but at least i back it up :grin:.

I like they signed a backup center, but i dislike the age,money,and the type of center. I have been banging the drum of dj mbenga for about 3 yrs or more. I dont see him as the greatest backup in the world especially if u look at his numbers. If you look at his numbers when he plays because of an injury, he does what deke used to do and thats block shots,rebound and play tough defense. This i think is vital for the backup of yao. Also him being 30 yrs old and playing for the vet min the last couple of years, i thought the rockets could have their backup center solve for the next 3 or 4 yrs with the lle money. Then the rockets could trade for a guy like hollins in minny or sign a guy like steven hunter. Hollins is a high energy,long shot blocking 7ft er making david andersen money. A trade could probably be pretty easy to get a guy making 2.3m. Hunter is 30 and in the same mold and his tag is probably about the same. So for about 4.3m, i think the rockets couldve had younger,better, defensive guys who can protect the rim with the 2nd unit or with the first when yao is out. Getting the barry,francis,mike james of the world but thinking about them 5 yrs ago is a mistake. I said my peace.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

5. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Again, the deal is worth roughly $15 million, $5 million for each of the first two seasons with $1 million guaranteed in the final season according to

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7112737.html

6. Simos05

Simos05 Member

I'm just glad we finally have a back-up for yao that is 7 ft tall

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

lee,

I agree and, on balance, would rather have Mbenga. But as I posted above, this gives us the ability to run out a bench lineup of Lowry, Martin/Budd, Ariza, Hayes and Miller. Our defense is key and there's no substitute for elite defensive players.

I won't complain too loudly so long as Les is willing to spend. I will begin to complain if this becomes a financial hinderance to other moves.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So we got a legit backup or Yao and people are still complaining? Geesh...

Good job RA and thnx LES!!

Ill be looking into season tix Monday

1 person likes this.
  9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

we paid 5 mil for toughness?

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I can't believe no one posted this yet:

[​IMG]

Seriously, I love this move. I think It was a bargain considering guys like Travis Outlaw and Wes Matthews were getting handed 35 million dollar contracts.

Brad is a proven vet who is underrated on the defensive end and can really flourish with Adelman and Martin.

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Budinger
    Ariza/Battier
    Scola/Patterson/Hill/Jeffries
    Yao/Miller/Hayes

That's a solid lineup, but if the Philly rumors are true

Ariza + Jeffries + Hill for Iguodala + Smith

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Budinger
    Iguodala/Battier
    Scola/Patterson/Hayes
    Yao/Miller/Smith

That right there can challenge the Lakers.

1 person likes this.
  11. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

jesus..what do you expect Les and Morey to do? If we don't sign a back up center you gonna call them cheap.

And when we signed him, you think they paid him too much?!!

Come on PPL!

12. kegray34

kegray34 Contributing Member

I think this is all RA getting what he wanted.
    I mean really how is Brad Miller an upgrade from David Andersen??
    If anything it is a sideways move. Miller just brings a name that is established to the table. Look at the numbers per 36 minutes last year:

Brad Miller -- Per 36 Minutes
    13.3 pts , 7.4 rebs , 2.8 ast , .5 blk , .430 fg%

David Andersen -- Per 36 Minutes
    14.8 pts , 8.4 reb , 1.8 ast , .5 blk , .432 fg%

Andersen for $2.5M
    Brad Miller 3 yrs $15M

THIS IS NOT A UPGRADE BY ANY MEANS.

And don't tell me Miller plays better defense because if you say that then you didn't watch many Bulls games last year.
    Miller has fallen off big time. His defense is better than Andersen's but not by much.

This signing just seems to be a lets bring in someone new with experience type of thing. Waste of cash if you ask me.

13. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

So true. That would be amazing. I see Chuck Hays playing a lot at the 4 though since Miller can score at the C spot. We should not forget about the Chuck Wagon. I think this signing makes him a whole lot better.

14. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

It's a good move. We haven't had a solid backup C since Deke.

There has to be more moves coming up. We have too many forwards.

Something like the Iggy deal probably is in the works. Roster balancing/roster consolidation trade.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No, Les did. And it's not like we're talking about paying for the ability to dribble right handed. There's few tough centers in the NBA and there's few players on this team, if any, with the edge that Miller has. This has been SEVERELY overlooked in this thread. We need some edge. We need what artest had, but with Miller its much more easily managed and directed.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah a lame list of players like Brad Miller.

Good lord the Rockets just added to this off-season of overpaying a player.

17. HangTime

HangTime Member

All NBA players are way over paid to PLAY..basketball... so since we need to a backup center we might as we get one that knows the system and one that they know what they're going to get out of him.

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Those options are mostly horrible. DJ Mbenga is a good situational 3rd center. He's not nearly a complete enough player to be a 2nd center you rely on. He's almost worthless on offense, and while his weakside defense is really good, his post defense is pretty bad. Unless you're playing a team of slashers, he's virtually worthless. Hunter doesn't do anything as well as Brad Miller, even now. I like him as a back up, and wanted him. Brad Miller is much better. Hell, if they signed him tomorrow for the Vet min, I'd be happy. I don't know anything about Hollins, so I can't speak to that.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Buying a 2nd round pick and drafting Whiteside sure would have been cheaper.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aaron Brooks
    Kevin Martin
    Trevor Ariza
    Luis Scola
    Yao Ming
    -----------------
    Kyle Lowry
    Chase Budinger
    Shane Battier