1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

MJ weighs in on who is better - Kobe or LBJ

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dream Shake 81, Jul 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

What people fail to realize is Kobe and Lebron are at different points in they're respective careers. Kobe's been in the league 15 years. There will be younger players who put better stats during a 82 game season. However, his ability to close games is why he's the best player in the league. For him to even be mentioned as the best player with limited athleticism and a bum knee is nod to his work ethic. Anybody who says Lebron is a better player cant argue the fact Lebron chokes in clutch situations where Kobe succeeds. That's why you cant throw all the stats you want, but we ALL know that a "sore" elbow would not be enough to stop Kobe from competing

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

Man if Kobe has just been living off of highlight plays, there must be A LOT of them.

I really don't understand the Kobe hate, as a player. Is it jealousy? Does it stem from what he's done as a person? I mean, I dislike the guy without a doubt, but you're kidding yourselves if you honestly expect Kobe not to go down as one of the greatest players to play in the NBA.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

As James pointed out in his welcome-to-Miami event on July 9, Bryant made only 6 of his 24 shots in Game 7 of the NBA Finals against Boston, which his Los Angeles Lakers won anyway for their second straight NBA title.

"He knew he had help and guys came through for him," James said last week of Bryant's Game 7 showing in the Finals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5384202

even wade thought kobe played a "bad" game 7, along with JVG, mark jackson, and mike breen (and those 3 commented on the game LIVE).

like i said, kobe can afford to have bad games b/c like james said, kobe knows he has guys on his team who can step up and don't depend on him all the time.

4. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

I agree with you but unfortunately most things that are linked to Kobe, like winning are team oriented. No one can deny that he's benefited from the quality of players he's played alongside. Earning titles has provided Kobe cheerleaders to chant for the respect that he rightfully deserves. He's an amazing player but he's also on the Lakers. And how often have the Lakers ever not had quality and/or better players than most of the other teams in the league? Even when they weren't winning/going deep in the playoffs, they still have players other teams would love to have.

Funny thing to me is that for all of those who are Anti-LeBron, you are giving him props by placing him in the conversation with Kobe. You do realize that, don't you?

Nice conversation, I like both players and their games.

5. clippy

clippy Member

What evidence do you have for this? Stats aren't flawless but they are a better record of the events than our memories, which are biased. And for all of his hype as "the best closer in the game", Kobe actually performs poorly down the stretch of tight games. And as the games get more critical, he does worse. The game 7 fiasco (and only an over the top Kobe homer would even argue that he played well) is simply the culmination of continued poor performances in critical games and not unexpected in the least.

6. clippy

clippy Member

For me the hate largely stems from the fanbase (mostly kids who grew up in the late 90s) who don't appreciate the history of the game. Kobe is an all-time great, no doubt, but he basically is one-dimensional. He's an extremely gifted scorer who takes a lot of very bad shots. But tell me, what makes Kobe better than Dominique Wilkins outside of having been on many good teams? Is Kobe really that much better than Iverson? You don't think pairing Vince Carter, McGrady, Iverson, or Allen with prime Shaq would have led to titles?

7. Ashes

Ashes Member

One-dimensional? Ok.

8. ApuN

ApuN Member

You are absolutely right.

If Kobe had gone to the team that drafted him, he would have been another Jerry Stackhouse.

Ball Hoggin, 50 shot shootin' selfish player. He plays better defense, but his career started with the best center in the league at the time followed by arguably by the best coach.

9. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

By putting the basis of ur point soley on one game 7 shows ur bias. The guy has hit more game winners than ANYBODY playing now. Last season he hit more game winners than ANYBODY (ask Dwayne Wade). He averaged 29pt during this years playoffs, with a BROKEN FINGER! It's not even a comparison who's better at this point :rolleyes:

10. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Didnt Jordan benefit from playing for same "coach"? Does that make him less special :confused:

11. ApuN

ApuN Member

Phil had won zero rings when he joined Jordan. You could almost say they both "made" each other"

By the time Phil coached Kobe, he won six rings, the most of any coach other than Auerbach.

12. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I used to hate Kobe and like Lebron but it's almost out of the question now who is better.

13. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

The Iverson comparison should be used on LeBron. 1 MVP, 1 finals appearance in a weak conference. LeBron managed one more MVP and one less finals win.

Iverson however, didn't lose to underdog like LeBron did twice in a row. AI never gave up. The only advantage LeBron had on him was age.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4th quarter with Kobe and James, Who do you think wins?

Yes, you know who wins...

15. Steve_Francis_rules

Lebron is an efficient scorer, something Iverson never was.

16. Steve_Francis_rules

Of course Kobe wins... if he has Gasol and Artest tipping in all his missed shots.

17. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Lol, yea, who, who, and WHO? Lol, three hall of famers right there. Talk about being a biased idiot. :rolleyes:

18. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Lol, w3rd, ive never seen so many Gasol put backs in my life.

19. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

I concur, anyone who would trade old man Shaq and Choke artist Jamison for the man who won the Lakers last two titles isn't just a moron but a complete f**ktard.

20. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

Lebron couldn't get a ring in 7 years with the Cavs..now he's going to Miami to play with Wade, Bosh, Miller and a bunch of seasoned vets.

Kobe has 5 rings (and counting) with 2 very different Lakers teams.

Even if the HEAT reel off 5 straight championships, it won't be because the greatness of Lebron, it'll be because of his ridiculously stacked team with 3 all-star starters and gold medal olympians, a knock down shooter and a couple 10 year veterans.

This argument is over already. I despise Kobe Bryant but the fact is he's an assassin . Lebron is just extremely physically gifted and can break any defense down. Give me Kobe any day.