1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach deal with Scola - 5 years, $47 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Are you in agreement with the contract (5 years, $47M) the Rockets gave Luis Scola?

1. YES

934 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. NO

102 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

i know. i consider david west to be a bargain contract too. i'm just sayin'.

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Yep! Nets blew out their roster and capspace for crazy FA signings just like that. Luis' deal in my opinion is probably the smartest signing this summer.

Who knew, that the frenzied FA of 2010 turned out this way with us signing Scola as the contract of the summer. (Other than the Ring of Fire of course :p)

3. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Scola is awesome!

But the 5 years?

I believe he will be 35 in his final year of the contract. :mad:

4. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Thank god his game is not based on athleticism, that is a monster deal for a player like Scola.

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

All max players are underpaid...

we have to measure up against a similar criterion in regards to signings.

Actually, Dwyane Wade is even better of a contract in that sense...

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Lol, you won't be saying that when Scola is activating his BEAST MODE time and time again, this is a very smart deal for the Rockets.. Look at how much Darko got...

7. Ashes

Ashes Member

First thing that came to mind.

However, I still think this contract will end up bad for us. Oh well.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He will be 34 in his final year,

2010-11 30yrs
    2011-12 31yrs
    2012-13 32yrs
    2013-14 33yrs
    2014-15 34yrs

9. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

way to step up again!!! I love this organization!!! We got to keep our core together.. flippin out players is not going to get us a championship. Scola's been underpaid for a while now and I haven't heard any grumblings AT ALL from him in the media EVER. I say he deserves it and DM and LA thinks so too obviously.

10. jae713

jae713 Member

It's kinda of pricey, but Scola has proven to be durable and consistent. You have to pay the cost to be the boss. Having a winning team does'nt come cheap.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Maybe, maybe not. But given what's been happening in the market this off season - the deals that have been getting handed out, $47M for Scola is not unexpected. It's been a crazy off season so far. All I can say is "wow!".

12. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

How anyone says this is a bad contract is beyond me. Are we suppose to offer a 2-3 year contract because he's 30? Seriously?

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Not to mention he only started playing in the NBA at 27. He's a young 30 year old.

14. carib

carib Member

I am happy the Rockets kept the core of the team. Now I hope we can still get a back up center.
    Personally I thought Scola was worth 7-8 mill, but given the money I see other teams paying for lesser calibre players, I am happy with keeping Scola.

15. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

I am glad he got rewarded for his hard work. I am happy he will be with the rockets for the next five seasons..

16. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Dude for the amount he played for the last 3 years.....we should be happy. He earned it.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Just curious, but what's the earliest Luis can be traded?

18. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7110569.html

Scola sticking around
    Rockets agree to five-year, $47 million deal with free-agent forward
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    July 15, 2010, 9:42PM

After a week of free-agent decisions and signings, from LeBron James’ stone-faced announcement of "The Decision," to the giggly display of Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, Rockets forward Luis Scola brought simple, unabashed joy.

Scola reached agreement with the Rockets on a new five-year deal on Thursday, and was happy to share how thrilled he was with the news.

"I feel great. I feel great," the 30-year-old Scola said. "I'm going to be the place I wanted to be. I’m so happy."

A day after announcing they would match the offer sheet received by guard Kyle Lowry, the Rockets reached an agreement Thursday with Scola on a contract that will be worth $47 million over five seasons, a person with knowledge of the agreement said on Thursday.

Scola, however, came much closer to leaving than Lowry, even though Lowry signed an offer sheet with the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Rockets always said they would match any offers received by Scola and Lowry, who signed a deal worth $23.5 million over five years, and announced they would match Lowry’s offer sheet roughly 12 hours after he signed it.

Scola, however, said Thursday he was close to accepting an offer to return to Tau Vitoria in the Spanish league, where he had been the Rookie of the Year in 1999-2000 and the league MVP in 2004-05 and 2006-07 when he was unable to reach an agreement with the San Antonio Spurs, who had drafted him in the second round of the 2002 NBA Draft.

He said he was prepared to move on, but remaining with the Rockets was his first choice.

"I almost died," Scola said. "It was so stressful. If I didn’t die of a heart attack this week, I think I’ll never die. I never was a free agent before. I thought it would be less complicated.

"There were a couple days I didn’t think it would work out. Waiting for an offer was really stressful. A couple times, I thought wouldn’t be the way I wanted. I would do what had to do. I’m a professional. If I had to move, I would have moved. Sometimes that is not up to you. But it would be really hard to play for another team in the NBA."

Scola averaged 16.2 points and 8.6 rebounds last season, and has averaged 13.1 points and 7.9 rebounds in his three seasons.

In the 29 games after his backup, Carl Landry, was traded to the Sacramento Kings, Scola averaged 22.2 points and nine rebounds.

Scola has played in all 246 games of his career, the longest streak to begin a career with the Rockets, and the second longest streak of games played to begin a career in franchise history. Elvin Hayes played in all 328 before he was traded to the Baltimore Bullets.

When Scola and Lowry are officially signed, and with Yao Ming choosing not to exercise his option to terminate the final season of his contract, the Rockets will have all of last season’s team under contract, along with the addition of draft pick Patrick Patterson, who signed on Tuesday in Las Vegas. Forward Mike Harris and Alexander Johnson are signed to partially guaranteed deals. The Rockets also plan to bring point guard Ish Smith to training camp.

After initially chasing Chris Bosh in free agency, the Rockets have since concentrated on locking up their two free agents while trying to reach agreement with free-agent center Brad Miller.

Few, however, could be happier to be back in Houston than the veteran from Argentina.

"I’m happy there," Scola said. "That’s the main thing. I think we have great team. My first team. My only team."

19. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Yeah! Luis is back! Luis gets better every year.

VAMOS ROCKETS!

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Plus, he doesn't have many NBA miles on him.