1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Chris Mannix] Yao Ahead of Schedule

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was worried about Yao's health this year but I feel so much better now knowing that he's ahead of schedule.

2. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

It is really meaningless whether he is ahead/behind schedule now. What's really counts is if he can get through the WHOLE season healthy next year.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yep...I can't wait to watch him play 20-25 minutes per game. Awesome.

4. corrado

corrado Member

We have to wait and see how he looks on the floor, when season begins. Right now it just might be some controlled leak to sell more season tickets.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Doesn't Yao always look great between rehab and All-Star break? It's after the All-Star break that Yao is sitting in street clothes on the bench.

6. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

For god's sake try to be smart this time and don't train too hard.

One thing about Chinese sportsmen, many of them only know to train hard and don't know to train smart. Stupid tradition passed down by old-timer coaches.

Yao, you were already a 25-10 center in the NBA. We don't need you to learn new trick/skills. Right now in your career, you don't have to strain your body too much just to produce further improvement. You were great as you were. Now just try to condition your body to survive a whole season. Don't over-train.

What's the point of spending 10 hours a day training if by doing so your body breaksdown too fast such that you can only play 50 games a season? Not to mention shortening your precious career at the same time?

7. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

There seems to be many naysayers here. :confused:

Yao is a hard worker and has been doing just that since he was injured. It's not as if he's sitting around not staying in shape, eating potato chips and beer. He's been trying to get back to full strength because basketball is his life. it's what has given him everything, take him out of China, money, his family plays basketball, he owns a basketball them, and I'm sure he's doing everything he can to be not only what he was but better. He's a humble guy, a family guy, a basketball guy. It's not as if he's a Lebron attention w****, worried about image and brand, tweets, and infomercials.

I believe he wants to come back and not just be a hobbled Yao, but the best he's ever been. IMO, I believe Yao in a way feels bad for being injured and earning so money for being hurt. I'm sure he wants a new contract, a big one but wants to prove his worth and dedication.

Call me a homer, but I believe. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not me, I hope they do that through Feb, and then ramp him up to 32 mpg.

Got to find out if the big fella can hold up going forward before signing him to a new contract.

DD

9. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

It's not totally coaching staff, it's the tough western conference. Coaches limited his training last time, but let yao play heavy minutes on court. As a matter of fact, Rockets is always a hard working team only because they have to do so to have a chance.

This in turn almost 'requires' yao to play those heavy minutes because losing will make coach, GM look bad for the moment. On the other hand, if yao played too much and get injured but the rest of the team somehow play relatively well, coach and GM would be praised.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if yao can play 20 effective minutes for 75+ games + playoffs, i'm very happy.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I guess I am one of those who REALLY wants Yao gone. I feel like the money that we pay Yao could be much better invested elsewhere. Unfortunately, he is also currently our best option at a shot for the ring. Here is to Yao and hopes he recovers and stays healthy at least long enough to win us a ring!

12. lalala902102001

This is the last year on Yao's contract. If he gets injured again you may get your wish.

13. rocketschamp3

rocketschamp3 Member

YEA but we did good without tmac. Without yao were not a playoff team.

14. Moped Chaser

Moped Chaser Member

Hey ClutchCity3 whats up?

signed,

the Rookies

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I'm not a T-Mac fan, but your statement is very false...

For some reason you keep forgetting about this Guy!!!!

[​IMG]

16. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

yea but tmac is a vagina

17. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

how do you think Adelman should structure Yao's PT?

obviously he starts on the court, how many minutes of each quater would you like to see him play?

if he played, say 6 minutes a quarter in the first 3 quarters, and then 7-8 down the stretch, do you think that will be too much for him?

I would even consider resting him on days where we have back-to-backs, just to ensure he doesn't break down, I just don't wamt the big guy to go down hurt again.

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

If we sign Brad Miller, I think Yao will be alright heading into the playoffs.

19. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

good post, i agree. Yao is not only a special player, but a special person. He personifies the workmanlike mentality of the rockets, and doesnt chase attention.

20. \/|()L/\T()R

\/|()L/\T()R Member

IMO, what should happen, is that Adelman should really do this on a game to game basis. What team are they playing, how is Yao feeling, is he playing well that night, is he effective that night, ETC...

Using that kind of method can keep Yao from making physical problems for himself in games where he isn't being effective or playing well. So instead of keeping him on the floor trying to force the issue, let Miller or whoever play the spot and Yao can come off the bench. That way he gets minutes, but at different times, that may not being so stressful.

If Yao is hitting his shot, and the opposing team has no answer, then you let him roll. In the same frame though, if he's struggling, and the other team is shutting him down, take him out, don't FORCE him to make his own shot, while he can do it at times, he is not Hakeem. Yao is much better taking those dish off shots or dump offs close to the rim.

I really think Adelman will use something like this, he knows he needs Yao in the playoffs. I would think they limit his minutes in general, unless he's having a lights out game that night, then they might let him roll.