1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How sweet is it going to be when Yao and company beat the Heat for a ring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Jul 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Just because you believe a team can win with the current cast, does not make you a homer, it means you are looking at the roster and thinking optimistically about the team and it's ability to compete.

It is just a matter of opinion.

WTF is wrong with folks that they can not accept that some people think this team, as is, can win it all if things break there way (Or rather, DON'T break)

There is nothing wrong with people believing they have enough, just as there is nothing wrong with folks who think we need more.

Respect has just flat out dissappeared......it sucks.

DD

2. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

and those 3 players dont understand that there is only ONE BALL!!!!

3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

TOO RIGHT !

DD

4. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

well, i watched our games last season, and we did really well until injuries came up (besides yao). We still were a winning team; we still beat the powerhouse teams without yao; we dont have a team full of scrubs like the cavs have, so being optimistic is being "delusional." Stop regurgitating Tim Legler's spew.

5. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

i know, right, and this ain't like the cavs or some other sorry team, we actually have some talent here! plus this rox team will out work most of the other teams in the association.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I heard that Stern has stated since the Heat have the Titanic Three, they will be allowed to use two basketballs during their games.

We still win.

7. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

I don't think we match up that great with the Heat when facing the big 3. Wade amd Bosh always kill us. We have done ok against LBJ. I expect the Rockets to match up good against the rest of their roster.

8. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

3 players (2 of which can carry a team by themselves) vs. a team with a fading star :(

9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

DD, it's been awhile.....

It's not really about the stars....it's about how those guys create that ever-elusive concept called BALANCE.

And when you have balance, you have CHEMISTRY.

You get the balance, you get the chemistry. You get the chemistry...with all that talent....and you've got SCARY good.

What has to happen is that those three have to play their respective positions. Before, as the main guys on their former teams, they had several different responsibilities. Now, they each have to focus on doing their jobs.

Chris Bosh has to become a much better low post player, particularly as a defender and rebounder. He should look at Pau Gasol's transformation in Los Angeles the past couple of years as a template.

Dwayne Wade will have to become more of a perimeter shooter. It is not Wade's particular strength, even though he has dramatically improved in this area. But one of the major reasons why Boston's "big three" has worked so well was that Ray Allen was just as effective as a catch-and-shoot player, moving without the basketball, as he was handling the ball and creating his own shot. That was a sacrifice by Allen that was crucial for the Celtics to create offensive balance, and give everybody on the floor space to work and take advantage of opportunities and mistakes by defenses. Wade is a guard. He has the skills to play point guard or shooting guard. He is fearless enough to play the small forward as a slasher from time to time. But he'll give Bosh space if he can be just as effective as a jumpshooter.

LeBron James is the key. As supremely talented as he is (and the moment James signs on with the Heat, he'll be their best player—if only marginally so), he will be the facilitator. James and Wade, for all intents and purposes, are essentially the same player, function-wise. But James' nature and temperment has always been to facilitate...do the dirty work, so to speak.

I think James should play for the Heat the way Rajon Rondo does for the Celtics. Rondo controls the tempo, makes the right play, and does all the little things to keep the Celtics elite. I personally would prefer to see LeBron James use that 6'9", 260 lb., Frankenstein's-monster physicality of his as a slasher and finisher. He makes a much better battering ram than table setter, to me.

But James is so diversely skilled, and has such a high basketball I.Q., and is so unselfish as a player, that with so much reliable and consistent talent around him, he can do whatever it takes to make the game easier for everybody else. He prefers that role, and James will excel in it.

I see that happening, and fairly quickly, DD. I don't see Wade, Bosh or James having a problem sacrificing stats or shots in order to win. They would not have attempted to play together if there was even a whiff of selfishness or arrogance between them.

What any of this has to do with the Rockets has me at a loss, I admit.....

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What it has to do with the Rockets is when we win a championship it will have been without the benefit of a big name free agent or free agents falling into our laps. Morey and our front office will have done it the old fashioned way, drafting and trading. There's nothing wrong with doing it the way Miami did it. But really, all Miami did was clear the deck, roll the dice, and entice.

11. caneks

caneks Rookie

neither teams will go that far.

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

You probably have a better chance porking Gloria James.

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Well said. Their weakness will be at PG and Center and those two spots happen to be our strength.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I see what you did not do there.

15. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Have you even read the topic (I assume you can read)?

"How sweet is it going to be when Yao and company beat the Heat for a ring?".

So the discussion of this particular thread is based on the assumption that Yao could stay healthy. Based on your reply, you probably do not believe he can be healthy for the whole season. If that's the case, make your argument in another thread, not this one.

#175 RocketForever, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  16. Shaud

Shaud Member

This gets posted damn near every year.

17. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Point taken, jopatmc.

The Rockets will have had to go around the corner to get across the street, so to speak, if they hope to challenge Miami or anybody else for an NBA championship in the near future.

But the Rockets will not win if they do not find a game-changing, All-NBA type player or players sometime soon, jopatmc.

It's practically impossible to be a championship-caliber team if you don't have a player or players who can get your team over rough patches in the postseason. Winning is done by committee, no question about it.

Sooner or later, somebody here is going to have to be elected head of that committee.......

18. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I believe but we got to catch them this year before they have time to reload. Or DM better do some loading soon.

19. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

Definitely.

Like I said in a thread that got locked earlier, I think our line up is dangerous...not 1927 New York Yankees Murderer's Row "dangerous", but definitely strong enough to win no less than 55 games next season.

I honestly think we can take Miami in 7 games, Kevin Martin is underrated, Aaron Brooks is climbing the ranks of the best 1s in the league, Luis Scola is already a 3rd tier All Star caliber player, and Ming is no question the best Center in the entire league when healthy.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It is Aaron Brooks team........he will be the head of the group.

DD