1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Conjecture]The significance of Morey's visit to Bosh on July 1st

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 6, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

The following is my conjecture on how Morey changed the landscape of Free Agency through his visit to Bosh. It's obviously just an educated guess, but it would fit neatly with all the reports that have come out over the course of past few weeks

Bosh's value and interest pre July 1st

All indications were that Bosh was going to sign in Chicago, NY, or Miami for max/near-max with Lebron or Wade. And he would do so straight up, without Toronto's help.

Why do I think this? Due to what Miami, Chicago, and NY have all done in the days leading up to FA. NY sent us Hill and future 1sts for 2-max room. Miami and Chicago both traded away their 1st rounders for more cap room. This goes directly in contrast with what Morey believed was needed to get someone like Bosh. Now, these teams aren't stupid. So it is my belief that if they have at least been in indirect contact with Bosh/Lebron/Wade, and made such all-in type moves accordingly. Hence, they must have believed that Bosh was available for that amount.

Note that all the media reports also support this theory before the FA started. Houston was never mentioned, neither were S&T options for the most part. All reports were that Bosh would sign up directly.

Morey's visit on July 1st

Now, Morey's visit to Bosh altered two things fundamentally. And I'm sure Bosh's agent had a hand in it, trying to use Houston as leverage against other teams. But even so, Morey accomplished two things during his visit.

1. He gave Bosh and his agent more leverage against other teams in terms of money, because he was offering Bosh more than what Bosh previously expected to obtain.
    2. He gave Bosh a big head. How so? I'm sure Morey in his presentation made Bosh look like a superstar. And is willing to give him the superstar treatment. This was made even more apparent with the bus tour, the websites, twitter messages, etc. Bosh is a Texan, and I'm sure he has enough friends who follow Rockets basketball to mention a lot of these to him. We treated him like he was Lebron.

So basically, Bosh went in his FA meetings with a completely different mindset than before FA started. Because he has (A) Our offer in his back pocket and (B) Our willingness to kiss his ass on the back of his mind.

Star players have huge egos. And yes, they need to be stroked. So you have Morey continuously kiss his ass and talk about how great he is, all Houston fans kiss his ass and talk about how great he is. All the while expecting nothing(in terms of commitments) in return. I'm sure Bosh felt VERY GOOD.

OTOH, Chicago, Miami, and NY are different. They HAVE TO HAVE COMMITMENTS FROM PLAYERS. They have all mortgaged their entire future on this FA period, and they can't afford to wait. They also likely had Bosh's "agreement" beforehand, which he probably reneged on with Houston's big offer. So their management was likely ticked off at Bosh too.

Bonus: Because of Bosh's big head, which Morey gave him, Bosh also apparently put off Lebron and Wade. This makes sense, because although max contract players aren't always on the same level due to artificial deflation of contracts, this doesn't really sit well with players. Nothing would piss Lebron off more saying he'll sign the 5-year max, while Bosh holds out for the 6-year max.

So Bosh is now getting two different types of signals. One from the Rockets people, who are willing to give him the moon, serenades him, and give him the no-pressure sale. Then you have Chicago and Miami basically get annoyed that he won't take their not-even-max offers, and NY spurning him in favor of Amare.

Current situation and future

Morey thinks Bosh is worth the uber-max
    Bosh thinks Bosh is worth the uber-max
    Toronto wants to give Bosh the uber-max(assuming they get something good in return)
    Chicago/Miami/NY don't think Bosh is worth the uber-max

Morey pretty much threw a monkey wrench into what would've been a clear choice for everyone. Rather than Bosh simply choosing the same destination as Lebron or Wade, we offered him a brand new option. And one that he has to think seriously about.

It might have only been a 20 minutes presentation, but if we are lucky, it could be the most important 20 minutes of this entire free agency.

2 people like this.
  2. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

lol interesting speculation. let's just hope bosh doesn't read it :eek:

3. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Excellent post. It might actually be true :grin: The thing is Donnie Walsh isn't stupid, there was no way he would have cleared everything unless:

a) He already had a handshake agreement with one or more players

b) He thought Tmac would turn into a great short-term piece.

Walsh doesn't seem the guy to go all-in without good reason.

5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I hope Bosh doesnt read this :(

6. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I read this as something else.

(But hey man, whatever it takes, right? ;) )

7. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

BTW, where are all the TMac free agency visit updates. None of the major outlets seem to have any news... :confused: .............. :grin:

8. davestrate

davestrate Member

I hope he reads this and realizes Houston is honestly interested unlike all these other teams throwing his name around to sway other players to sign with them alas Chicago and Miami. All in all the overall consensus in H-town is Welcome Bosh, so get it done already and be another pioneer such as Amare and be the first of the big three FA's to make up your mind and do something completely unexpected. Be a Man and choose championships and a good overall environment and dont be someone's sidekick or B*TCH for that matter!!! (Great Post BTW)

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

5-6 years from now, I hope that one of these GM's has the balls to write about what happened this summer. Instant NYT best-seller

10. AGBee

AGBee Member

Mental masturbation gone wild.

11. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

What does "conjecture" mean?

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Not sure I agree with anyone having an "agreement" w Bosh beforehand if by that you mean it was in the bag that he would take less to play for them. I dont think that was ever any more of an option than him wanting the max and needing a S&T to accomplish it.

i DO think that Morey's visit gave Toronto WAY MORE leverage (at least in the eyes of the media and other teams) than they would have had without his visit...which i think has been good for us

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I agree that this visit leaves a favorable impression on Bosh.

He seems to be a diva and The fact that Morey went all out on him will be on his mind. I'm sure Morey told him he deserves the 6 year max (the only thing we can sign him too). I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Interesting thoughts. I believe you are correct with the leverage speculation for one but the Rockets are a wonderful backup plan if the Miami or Chicago thing does not come to fruition.

The real situation is that Bosh and Boozer are just waiting on Lebron and Wade because if he truely believed he was a max player and worth as much or more than Lebron, he would have already signed first with Chicago or Miami and expected either one of them to follow him. (See Amare to the Knicks) Lets look at the scenarios Bosh is faced with:

A. Lebron re-signs with Cleveland, Wade re-signs with Miami

-This Ideal for Bosh if he can get a sign and trade with Miami for the extra amount and earn the spot over Boozer who would be hard competition since he probably would not demand the max but produces all-star numbers at the 4 spot.

B. Wade signs with Chicago, Lebron Stays put or goes to the Knicks

- Bosh's first option would still be to get in Chicago first via sign and trade but there isnt a whole lot Toronto would want from Chicago other than Noah. Bosh would probably have to sign outright and earn less. Boozer is still a viable and more affordable option for Chicago.

C. Lebron goes to Chicago, Wade stays in Miami.

- Heres where it gets complicated. Both Chicago and Miami will do everything in there power to get the best PF on the market and Bosh will be the first option with Boozer second. He could go to Miami via sign and trade but that would be a large price to pay for Miami and would be left with virtually no supporting cast. My guess is Bosh signs outright with Miami.

-So the best scenario for Houston getting Bosh would be option B. Thats why so much is riding on Lebrons decision. If Lebron goes to Chicago, Wade almost certainly stays and Bosh's worthiness goes up dramatically in Miami.

If Lebron stays in Chicago then there are alot more options in play as far as Wade's decision making process. But then again, Houston's best friend in this situation could be Boozer. If Miami wants a more balanced supporting cast around Wade, then Boozer could come at a discount and give you more ability to find your "glue guys" and young prospects.

Bosh in a sign and trade, would be good for Bosh, bad for the rest of the team's outlook. You either loose two more role players, or 16 Million in cash plus future picks.

Morey did provide great leverage in negotiations with these teams but we wont find out exactly what damage he did until after Lebron and Wade sign on the dotted line this week. (hopefully)

15. purplefever

purplefever Contributing Member

The premise that Bosh never expected to get 6 years / $126 mil is flawed. That was always the plan and the fact that Morey offered it changed nothing, other than to give Bosh some additional leverage to get this from whatever team he was going to.

Considering his wonky knee and season ending broken face, Bosh more than any other of the 2003 FAs needs to sign the largest guaranteed contract possible. His career and earning potential flashed before his eyes after that Antawn Jamison sent him to the floor. Without the off-court earning potential of the other two, he wants the security, period.

Did you know his media company is called Max Deal Technologies?

1 person likes this.
  16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

meh, I never bash a poster who takes time and expresses his/her post with a high degree of thoughtfulness,but i think you're way off base. Bosh was and has always wanted max money and 6 years. He's been hopeful that toronto will do a sign and trade with a team of his liking. He will take less if wade or james take less. If those guys get max, just as amare and jj has taken max,he going to want max. Toronto has heard from almost every team in the league about a sign and trade. If toronto doesnt take back salary, they will have almost 10m in cap room. If they dont get a package they want, they will let him walk.

17. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

This whole thing is going to be a documentary. I know Lebron and Wade have camera crews following them around. Not sure about Bosh.

18. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

actually i believe its the opposite, its bosh who has the camera crews following him.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why? If Bosh thinks about his situation logically, rather than going with the flow and coattail Lebron/Wade, Houston should be his destination.

20. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I opened this not expecting much, but you make some very good points. It was in Houston's best interest to convince Bosh that he's all that, and worth the max and nothing less, and we had a very small window of opportunity to make this point. Hopefully it works.