1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1st round Pick] Patrick Patterson - F - Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 24, 2010.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Landry didn't develop his Face up game till his 3rd year; Last season.

Pat Pat was working on that this season with Kentucky. I see better rebounding and better help defense with Patterson.

It's unfair to say we are replacing Landry but we did need a PF with quickness to replace what we lost from Landry. I think we found that.

2. sime0n

sime0n Member

Tough diseases. Feel for you. I have no idea how DaJuan played without a colon.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, it was a less than successful comeback - but still - he did it. He's kind of a hero of mine for that.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm sure there are some Boilermaker followers that can back me in saying that Landry already had a dependable midrange jumper in college. And then Adelman reiterated that in Landry's rookie season.

I think we're confusing "developed" = I the average fan saw him do it in games on TV, so therefore he's developed that in my eyes.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I agree. From everything I have read about Patterson (the time spent with a very sick child unrelated to him to developing a jump shot in his 3rd year to accomodate the arrival of Cousins) tells me this guy will be one of those players who will work to improve their game year after year. As far as high character, Patterson is tops.

Rockets got a solid, solid pick and I hope we keep him to see how good this kid can be years down the road.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's your floor for a lottery pick? A MARGINAL NBA PLAYER?

I don't what it is with you but you seem to hate your own quite a lot when you haven't even seen him play yet. You ragged on C-bud as well, calling him "nothing special"?

Personally I think he'll surpass Landry and reach Scola's level in the NBA, i.e. one of the best non-star players in the league.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WTF are you talking about?

I don't hate anyone, I am just being realistic, most picks beyond the top 5 or 6 are projects.

I hope he comes in and contributes right away, and that would be a huge coupe for a guy picked at 14.

Mirsad Turcsan, Bryce Drew and others were picked around there....just for context.

I don't fall in love with players until I see them play.......I think this was a great pick......how good is he for this year........I have no idea.

DD

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

"In terms of skills, the stunner was a beautiful jump-shot. Landry looked comfortable taking shots out past the college 3-point line, and has exactly the type of form you want to see from an undersized power forward who will need to step outside and force opposing big men to come out and guard him."

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Carl-Landry-461/

^This was a quote on Landry during his Champions academy invitational, just a month before the predraft camp. I think he can already hit some jumpers in college, but he used it sporadically and only really worked on it just before the draft.

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm completely in love with this pick. The more I hear about this guy, the more I like him. We have so many assets going into the free agency, it's unreal. We just have to hope one of the big name FA's says he wants to go to Houston.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I guess you're counting Summer League as "play." Dan Langhi anyone?

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Does anyone know when Patrick's presser is going to be this afternoon?

12. DaDakota

No doubt, I learned a hard lesson that year, that summer league was HIGHLY overated in regards to the NBA.

And, I was being a little bit "over the top" on purpose...but hey.....it is what it is.

DD

13. mulletman

mulletman Member

wallyj12 had posted this from ESPN Insider in the Draft forum a few weeks ago (you can read the whole article here). It doesnt mean much, but I thought it was interesting to read how low Hollinger's "Draft-Rater" ranked Patterson compared to how high Morey and the Rockets have Patterson rated

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not saying you hate anyone, I'm saying you are always unimpressed with the kids we draft when you haven't even seen them play yet, c-bud being a prime example. I can't search for it but I'm guessing you also had that "meh" assessment when we picked Brooks and Landry.

Saying you expect a lottery pick to turn out as a marginal nba starter isn't being realistic, it means you don't really think its a good pick. If a marginal NBA starter is all your lottery pick will turn out after years of development its better to ship him out for a seasoned vet now instead.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Who was it that said Landry would be cut and and Mike Harris was the better player of the 2 back in 2007?

;)

16. DaDakota

I am not unimpressed, where are you reading that? I have said over and over I love the pick.

What part of "I LOVE THE PICK" do you not understand?

As for the marginal comment, that is the history behind the number 14 pick....he could be a superstar, he could be an all star, he could be a role player, he could be a bust....but HISTORY suggests that getting a contributor for this year at 14 would be HUGE.

DD

17. Breaker

Breaker Member

Mindan Yill

Lutrick Scolason

Second to noneeee!! Come get some! :grin: :grin:

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hollinger's rating is probably correlated to PER, and its results are to be expected considering this year PP took a backseat to Wall and esp. Cousins. Even more disastrous for PP, Cousins rebounded extremely well and ate up PP's rebs, and it just so happens rebs are one of the biggest components of PER. If you broke it down though, PP has one of the most efficient PPGs when it comes to PFs despite his lack of possessions, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also this rating doesn't take into account defense and intangibles, which are pretty strong qualities of PP.

Considering the chart projects that Monroe will have a better career than Favors though, I'd say its flaws are apparent.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes you have said you love the pick even in your initial post however you also called his upside as a marginal NBA starter.

Upside means the best he can be so you're saying the best he can really be is a marginal NBA starter. And if that's the absolute best then in your eyes he'll likely just be a bench player who only plays 10 mins in a championship team.

Maybe you really do like the pick, but if that's the case then subconsciously you have a bias against the players we pick. You'd expect a marginal NBA player out of a late 1st round pick, definitely not a lottery pick.

20. DaDakota

Thanks Sigmund....

WTF ever dude :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You just wanted to pick a fight...

YAWN !

DD