1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop calling Kobe the greatest?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BEAT LA, Jun 17, 2010.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Kobe played a Pippen/Drexler role for his first 3 rings. You can say those are rings for sure, but don't ever use them to compare with MJ's rings.

Rings with you as the best player/main guy: MJ 6, Shaq 3, Kobe 2. And should I emphasize those 2 reflects more of the fact that LA STEALS GASOL!

I have no problem saying KB is one of the greatest players and all. But greatest? Better than MJ? Not even when he wins 3 more rings with GASOL...

#81 haoafu, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. Garner

Garner Member

I 100% disagree. The lakers were glued together by rebounding. It was the only advantage they had- not Kobe. Ray Allen handled him fine.

But! offensive rebounding was killer and 1 person held the Lakers together IMO- Pau Gasol. He deserved the Bill Russel.

3. Garner

Garner Member

Michael never let it go to 7 games.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

If we do compare them (which i posted some weeks ago):

Jordan\ Bryant
    Years played 15\ 14
    Championships 6 \ 5
    MVP 5 \ 1
    DPY 1\ 0
    Finals MVP 6 \ 2
    All NBA 1st 10\ 8
    All NBA 2nd 1\ 2
    NBA 1st defensive team 9\ 8
    All Star games 14\ 12

Career Average
    Points 30,1\25,3
    Reb 6,2\ 5,3
    Ass 5,3\ 4,7
    St 2,35\ 1,5
    Blk 0,8\ 0,6
    FG% 0,497\ 0,455
    3P FG% 0,327\ 0,34
    FT% 0,835\ 0,838

Career Play offs Average
    Points 33,4\ 25,1
    Reb 6,4\ 5
    Ass 5,7\ 4,7
    St 2,1\ 1,4
    Blk 0,88\ 0,7
    FG% 0,487\ 0,448
    3P FG% 0,332\ 0,332
    FT% 0,828\ 0,81

Best statistical Year Excluding fewer than 40 games
    Points 37,1 (86-87)\ 35,4 (05-06)
    Reb 8 (88-89)\ 6,9 (02-03)
    Ass 8 (88-89)\ 6 (05-05)
    St 3,16 (87-88)\ 2,2 (02-03)
    Blk 1,6 (87-88)\ 1 (98-99)
    FG% 0,539 (90-91)\ 0,469 (01-02)
    3P FG% 0,427 (95-96)\ 0,383 (02-03)
    FT% 0,851 (90-91)\ 0,868 (06-07)

5. adoo

adoo Member

LBJ is the Greatest player in regular season play.

when you factor in the playoff, it is Kobe

6. adoo

adoo Member

that'd be true for LBJ, whose has been annointed the king albeit crownless.

obviously, ur don't know the meaning of commonplace.

as for great teammates:

Bill Russell, the greatest winner of them all with 11 rings, had these HofF members as his teammate---Cousy, Havlicik, KC Jones. Bird had McHaLE AND Parrish. Jordan had Pippen and HoF coach Phil. Magic Johnson had Kareem, Worthy, McAdoo and HoF Coach Riley

of the current Lakers team, Kobe is the only HoF. His team beat a team with 3 HoF and a promising Hondo

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't like Kobe but he is a great player and I'm not going to take that away from him. Is he better than MJ? That's up for debate. I will say this about Kobe, he's probably one of the hardest worker that's ever played the game. He puts his time on and off the court with film study and etc.

I think one of the biggest knocks against Kobe is that he doesn't always make his team better. MJ was great at making his players better but I do think MJ's cast were strong minded compared to Kobe's team. Kobe's cast tends to nut up when the game is on the line. Fish is probably the only player outside of Kobe that will take a shot when the game is on the line.

8. arno_ed

No it is not up for debate, Kobe is a great player, but is not even close to being as good as Jordan. Just look at my previous post. There is NO Cathegory in which Kobe has better stats/ more trophy than Jordan. Oh sorry he does have a slightly better 3pFG% and FT% but that changes in the PLay offs.

What is up for debate is if Bryant is top 10 all time.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Unintended humor?

10. anteaterz

anteaterz Member

kobe is the greatest, look at the defense he draws, entirely celtic strategy was to contain him, they didn't care if anyone else made shot,their mission to make sure kobe don't make them, but yeah, they managed to lower his FG a little, but still did a great job and most importantly led his team to another championship, look at jordan's highlights, u ever see 4 guys mugging him like that? ever?

11. arno_ed

Oh come on, it is really getting ridiculous. YES you have seen 4 people defending Jordan like that. Jordan didn't have the luxury of having the handcheck rule. All the teams Jordan played just let im score and focussed on the other players :rolleyes:

It is unbelievable clear that posters such as this did not watch Jordan play. If this is the quality you are going to add to this Forum, just stop posting.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

How old are you? Because you've clearly never heard of the Bad Boy Pistons.

13. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Yes it's still up for debate because Bryant is still playing. When Kobe retires from the NBA, I think you can have that debate. At this moment, MJ has the better stats but if Kobe gets 7 rings, you can't not dismiss it.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

You obviously are too young to have really watched MJ-era basketball. While I totally appreciate anyone willing to debate bball related topics, it's probably best for you to stick to talking about things that you actually know about

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Also, Kobe didn't have a dominating game in ANY of the wins in this series.

Gasol should have won the MVP.

16. arno_ed

Saying that it is up for debate because Bryant's career is not finished is like saying that it is up for debate if Chase Budinger is better than Jordan since his career is also not over yet. Or that I'm better than Jordan because my career also isn't over yet. Do you see how this logic just doesn't make sense.

If Bryant gets 9 rings and 6 final MVP's than yes we can start having a discussion until than we cannot.

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he didn't watch Jordan. Jordan was a great player but I don't consider him the greatest player to ever play the game. Actually I don't consider any player in that regard. I think when it comes to basketball you have to go by position. Now you can make the argument that MJ was the best SG ever but the greatest player to play the game? Nah...

18. arno_ed

Yes you are right, Jordan's era had soft defense:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xJJNUkrdyQ&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xJJNUkrdyQ&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

19. arno_ed

yes it does. If he states that Jordan didn't have tough defence against him, or that defences didn't focus on Jordan he can't have watched Jordan.

If Jordan is the best of all time is indeed up for debate. There are other players that might have been better (Wilt, Russel, Magic, Bird) Comparing different positions is indeed difficult if not impossible. However that he is clearly better than Bryant is not.

20. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

No my logic makes perfect sense. Kobe's career is not over. As it stands, MJ is probably the best SG to ever play the game. Kobe may change that but we'll see.

Oh and your Chase comment is r****ded... Does Chase have any rings? Let's not be a dumbass this morning...