1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Southwest Kia of Rosenberg - My girlfriend's car was stolen by this dealership

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good grief, Batman. The last year has been rough for you and yours. A cab assaults you in one of my favorite cities, and now a car dealer attempts to do something I would have believed back in the '60's and '70's, but not today, not that blatantly. Bizarro World erupting in full flower. I thought Refman had some good advice. Try the county sheriff, who's office covers all these juridictions, and most definitely sue the hell out of them. A decent attorney just might take it on a contingency basis. This sounds pretty straightforward to me. Good luck and keep us updated as the drama you didn't intend to direct finds its ending.

2. Simos05

Simos05 Member

My advice is:

1. Lawyer up

2. If you have the officers info who came to your house, call HPD and find
    out who his sargent is. A stolen vehicle is a criminal matter, not a civil.
    Unless the officer mistakenly thought it was a repo, there is no excuse
    for this. Talk to his sargent.

3. Sue the hell outta them.

Hope this helps. It is a real crappy situation, and wish you the best of luck with the whole ordeal. Good Luck

3. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

Do you want me to pass this along to our investigative team at ch 2?

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I didn't get to read any of the thread, but I will say your girlfriend should not be in the business of stealing cars in the first place.

5. Classic

Classic Member

You weren't asking me but absolutely!

6. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Oh. My. God.

This EXACT same thing happened to me and my wife at Ancira Kia here in S.A.!!!

Reading your story was almost like reliving a f...ing nightmare for me. I feel for you, man. We bough a brand new '09 Kia Optima for her (probably a lot nicer than your thinking a Kia would be, we're very happy with it). Anyway, we traded in her '06 Jetta and got a great deal on this car, got the contract signed, drove home.

About a WEEK later, the asst. GM of the dealership calls my wife and says that "the payoff for our trade in fell through, and that we needed to come in and renegotiate." She comes home from work and tells me this, naturally, I gave this jerkwad a call. He says the same thing to me and says that if we don't bring it back, he'd report it stolen or just repo it. He said that his dealership "still owned the car because our financing fell through." I was FURIOUS. I told him, you come on out and get this MF car. I'll be here waiting for you.

But secretly, I was scared. I don't know the first thing about laws concerning these matters and I didn't quite know what to do. So I called Kia directly and asked, "Do I own this car, what's going on here, has my FINANCING fallen through?" They said that I ABSOLUTELY owned the car and that if i wanted to make my first payment over the phone, they'd gladly take it. :confused:

So I called the head GM of Ancira Kia thinking maybe I'd get past the dirtbaginess of car dealership workers if I just talked to someone in charge. Nope, he fed me the same lines of BS. For the next several days, they called us both multiple times with threats and harassment. The worst thing was, they hadn't payed off our trade in and Volkswagen was now calling us for a late payment on our OLD car. This went on for a month. :mad:

Luckily, my wife is a hygienist for a very prominent dentist here in town and I finally suggested she ask him for advice. He took an immediate interest in it knowing one of his employees was being screwed and told her, "don't you worry about this." He called one of his attorney friends and he came right over to her office and they all called this GM again...this time the lawyer did the talking...he practically dared the guy to repo the car and asked him to stop contacting us and to start contacting him on the matter. The douchebag GM apparently caved. They eventually paid off our Jetta, albeit a month and a half late, and we got to keep the car.

Sorry for the looong "uncool story, bro"...but I just had to share this after reading about your plight. Lawyer up, man. A signed contract is a signed contract. You WILL win if you pursue this.

1 person likes this.
  7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is absolutely unbelievable to me that anyone would try something like this. Are there really that many people in this world who would just let this happen to them without consulting a lawyer to make it financially feasible for these salespeople to try a stunt like this? That makes me so sad.

8. Disciple of RP

Unfortunately, yes. There ARE a lot of people that would let this happen to them. We didn't, but we were lucky in that we know a rich dentist with friends in high places. Even if we didn't know him, I would have absolutely eventually contacted a lawyer myself.

As for the OP, it doesn't seem like he even had a chance to consult an attorney before his property was stolen from him.

9. itony

itony Member

god damn that's amazing. hope all goes well for you batman and cool story disciple

1 person likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

dang... well of course you will get a lawyer involved and maybe you can get enough money back you can buy like 20 kias ;)

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Don't we have a channel 2 employee who posts here? Maybe he can pass this on to whoever does consumer report stories.

12. Disciple of RP

I tried calling the channel "whatever" news defenders here in town regarding MY problem...but Ancira is a huge, HUGE presence in this, the dirty butthole of TX that is know as San Antonio. Ancira advertises on all of their stations regularly. I considered this after I had called and didn't expect anything from it.

Maybe the OP would have better luck considering Houston is a MUCH bigger city and the dealership in question is from out of town anyway...and doesn't sound like one of the big "players" in that market at that.

Bottom line: LAWYER THE F UP! I'm going to take quite an interest in this story and I really hope the OP keeps us informed on what happens.

13. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Look @ post #23.

Channel 2 should do a story on this. In these economic times, we need to crucify scumbags that pull this BS... and sue them too!

14. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

With 2 different Kia dealerships, Channel 2 could do a giant Kia expose!

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

pshhh I hear Maserati has GREAT customer service.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Thanks for all the supportive posts, guys. It has been a very strange and pretty nightmarish day and week, but it's nice to hear you guys encouraging us to fight back. We are and we will.

Hilltopper: I definitely think I'd like you to pass this along to Channel 2, but I want to consult my lawyer about it first.

My brother is a lawyer (who posts here) and he gave me a great reference for a lawyer that's very good with this sort of case. I spoke with him briefly this evening, but he's on vacation and won't be able to hear the details of my case until Monday.

My brother also met me tonight to look over our contract and he says it looks good for us and bad for them, but it's such a complicated and (to me) bizarre situation that I'm not going to be comfortable until I get a chance to really sit down with the lawyer that will handle the case.

I want to get these scumbags so bad.

And I will definitely keep you all posted as the story develops.

17. Disciple of RP

Clutchfans > Kia franchise

They have no chance.

18. Batman Jones

According to them they wanted the car back because, once they'd offered us the better warranty and signed a contract on it, the bank they'd found to do the financing backed out. But that was five days after they told us we were good to go and five days after my girlfriend signed the contract and took possession of the car. We hold in our hands a very valid contract and they signed it. And then they just came and stole the car.

If their story is even true, they screwed themselves by getting greedy and talking her into the longer warranty and, by doing so, they lost the bank that had agreed to do the financing in the process. So I guess, again if they're even telling the truth, they were stuck financing it themselves and got desperate to get out of the deal.

Of course, I'm just speculating based on the dealer saying my girlfriend needed to come back in to sign a new deal without the warranty.

But my brother, who has a lot of experience with consumer protection law, says this is something they do all the time. It's called "yo-yo'ing" and it's an illegal practice of signing someone on a car at a certain deal and then coming back and telling them they have to renegotiate for worse terms.

When we didn't go for the "yo-yo" they freaked and took the car.

But, even if it costs me an arm and a leg in legal fees, they won't get away with it.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you probably are right. clutchfans is somewhat like a wikipedia/yahoo answers rolled into one with experts abound.

20. Batman Jones

Exactly why I posted our story here. Thanks again, to everyone, for all the good advice.