1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com/Blinebury] Shaq in Houston would make sense.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheresTheDagger, Jun 9, 2010.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think so. He played well in Cleveland.

2. thething

thething Contributing Member

Shaq will go somewhere where he has a chance to win a championship. I doubt he comes here unless we get Bosh or some big free agent.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We don't need Bosh or some other free agent to win a championship. We need Yao and Shaq to win a championship. Thats it. Now would also be a great time to add a rookie big to the mix.

5. Raven

Raven Member

No, for a number of reasons which should be obvious.

6. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

It might work...

Yao know what i Ming?

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

No way!!! No way!!! I haven't forgotten his racist baiting of Yao in Yao's rookie season. Phooey to Blinebury for even considering that.

We definitely need someone younger and more athletic as we start thinking of the future also. If we get a veteran, someone like Brad Miller or Kevin Love/Al Jefferson/David Lee would be infinitely better.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'm warming to this idea, if Shaq were willing to play the wise mentor role, he could be a great locker room guy.

He seems to have mellowed out in his later years, and his ego was always tongue-in-cheek to begin with, with a wink and a nod.

Plus, he loves to reinvent himself, and Houston would be a great place for that.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Shaq makes much sense now. He's offensive game has declined substantially and he never was a major defensive presence. At least with Deke you got the rebounding and block shots...that interior defense was key.

I think we have enough offensive capabilities that having a guy who can rebound and defend well would be a more ideal back-up to Yao. Shaq might actually make us more of a half-court team then Yao would ironically.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Still think Brad Miler or even Ilgausas are more likley targest for a verteran backup big than Shag to fill the "Mutombo" role. Maybe Ben "Ben Wallace" Wallace, too.

11. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I wouldnt mind Shaq...anything is better than Aussie. Though I respect the Wagon a lot, we need a shot blocker and size to clog the paint.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This "Aussie" spreads the floor well and enables our smaller players to get to the rack.

There is a reason why Andersen was used most frequently against teams with actual big men. He was an important piece in our defeat over teams such as the Lakers, where Gasol and Bynum would clog up the lane giving little to no room for our smaller players to drive in to. With Andersen, his range would draw one of these big men out enabling more room to operate.

That being said, Shaq would just further clog up the lane. How does motion offense work without motion?

1 person likes this.
  13. Ramathorn006

Im sorry but on most nights Aussie gives up more points on the defensive end than he actually scores. I would rather bring a defensive center than an offensive one.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Shaq is no Mutombo; I would prefer Brad Miller as a back up or even a starter.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I wasthinking about this today.

Morey made a very profound statement a short while back. He said, "Yao is the best player in the NBA when the team is in the bonus." This got me to thinking about Shaq. He is a high foul-drawing player. And as such he would be a tremendous to have backing up Yao.

If Shaq were willing to come off the bench, you start Yao, and let him play the entire first quarter. You've got 2 high foul-drawing players out there in KMart and Yao. Then you bring in Shaq to start the 2nd quarter with Lowry and throw him some postups until we get over in the bonus. With Lowry's penetration and dishes, we should be able to get in the bonus very early. Then you bring back Yao for the final 5-6 minutes of the 2nd quarter. In the 3rd, play Yao 5 minutes, bring in Shaq for however long it takes to push you to the bonus, then as soon as you hit the bonus, bring back Yao. Let Shaq start the 4th quarter and pile up fouls against, then bring in Yao to finish.

Yao 28-30 minutes. Shaq 20 minutes.

16. Ramathorn006

Yeah I agree...He fits the scheme a lot better than Shaq does and has experience with coach Adelman.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

What defense?

You mean inability to defend pick n rolls?

Shaq hasn't been very effective for the past few years, and there are reasons for that.

18. Ramathorn006

Defense at contesting shots at the basket and grabbing a damn rebound. There is a reason Anderson lost minutes at the end of the season last year. And dont tell me he had a sore back for a month and a half.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Shaq will give you more injuries or "injuries" than a soreback. We're not even accounting for his ego yet.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

If Shaq can overcome being a bench player for the first time ever in his life, iirc, then I would LOVE to have him in H-Town next year.