1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Fuzzybear, May 27, 2010.

1. Mr. Space City

:) :) :) :) :)

2. blink

blink Contributing Member

well i thought jordan was way better than kobe before the piston's defense video..... now it's just solidified. didnt get a chance to watch the bad boys defense on jordan live but kobe definitely faces lighter D in this era.

3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

:) :) :) :)

4. Mr. Space City

how many 3's did he take in those 9 seasons? you're ging to bring up season where he shot under 30 percent with UNDER 1 3 point attempts per game?

the best player left but they add 2 good scorers off the bench and have a productive bench (something the bulls didnt have prior to kerr and kukoc arriving) and they still lost 7 ppg and dropped from 2 best offensive rating to 14th.

like i said their championship defense from the year before kept them in games.

all they did was lose a guard. it's not like losing your defensive center and your complete defensive anchor down low like he rockets this year. the core of that championship defense was still there.

nobody can win championships by themselves (look at wade and the cast he had this year) . but how are you going to use the pippen argument AGAINST jordan and then run from it when that same argument can be used against kobe?

i always give props to the underrated bulls players during that dynasty. you dont win 72 games in a season without a good cast.

but then you use that jordan benefited from alot of help but he never benefited from a player on his team that had a bigger impact than him (ex. kobe & shaq). even with a dominate shaq kobe sill lost in the 2004 finals vs. the pistons and put up bad numbers with a 2nd option much better than pippen..

Kobe 22.6ppg 2.8rpg 4.4apg 38%FG
    Shaq 26ppg 10rpg 1apg 63%FG

im talking about the nba finals.

kobe shot 15ppg 4rpg 4apg shooting shooting 36.6%FG vs. the pacers while shaq got38ppg 16rpg 2apg shooting 61%FG

example:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200006090LAL.html

would the bulls win a championship have ever won a title with jordan getting 15 ppg shooting 37%?

everybody on this board knows that jordan is an *******. the criticism is still the same.

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Man,

I have seen a lot of guys play the game from Russell to Connie Hawkins, Elvin Hayes, Bird, Magic and so on and I must say Jordan had the totoal package.

He actually worked on his defense more than his offense, because he did not want to be known as just an offensive player..

Now I agree that Lebron is WAYYYYYYYYYYY Overrated... But Kobe has that same fire as Jordan and he's also more of a comparison to Jordan than any other player. Love him or hate him, the kid has some serious skills and that would be one helluva match-up to watch.

T_Man

6. Arvid

Arvid Member

As a matter of fact, Kobe's career 3P% so far is about 34%, which I guess, in your words, is just a little less "pedestrian" than that of Jordan?

Also as someone already pointed out, Michael Jordan took very few 3 pointers in both the earlier and later part of his career. Therefore it is more significant to investigate and compare the seasons, in which he actually was looking to take some 3pt shots. As a result, there are eight seasons (1988-89 season to 1997-98 season excluding 2 seasons of retirement) in which Jordan shot more than 90 times beyond the arc, his average percentage is a tad over 35%, which is exactly the same as Kobe's, applying the same season selection criterion (7 seasons from 2002-03 to today, 2003-04 season excluded).

I hope this debunks the myth that Kobe is a superior 3-point shooter than Jordan. Well, he really just takes more shots behind the line.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lebron might have taken the least talented team to the finals.

8. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Jordan was stronger quicker faster powerful a better leaper and way more explosive to the rim than Kobe (think D Wade quick) Kobe has a better outside shot 3 pt shot and arsenal of sick shots than Jordan but thats it

Jordan defense was always far better and his mental toughness and will was alot greater

Id take Jordan over Kobe anyday but if someone picked Jordan, I wouldnt hesitate to pick Kobe (sorry Glide)

the other day me and my friend came up with our top 5 players ever that we would have for our team picking anybody in the history of the game and I let him picked first
    my friends all time team
    5-Hakeem (that hurts)
    4-Duncan
    3-Pippen (overrated)
    2-Jordan (got somethin for him)
    1-Penny Hardaway (lol)

my team
    5-Kevin Mchale (simply cuz he was bout the only one who gave Dream fits)
    4-Moses Malone (would bruise Duncan)
    3-Lebron
    2-Kobe (only guy who can somewhat counter Mike)
    1-Magic

I win ;)

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Lebron is the most Over-Hyped Player i have ever seen....

10. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Lebron is just a better passing Shawn Kemp

He's goood but WAY OVER HYPED!

I would rather have Kobe at this age than Lebron

I think Kobe "gets it" how to lead and will the team to win

Lebron is just an overrated stats machine.

11. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Just heard this inane interview of Ric Bucher on ESPN radio today where he said that Kobe is better than MJ on offense from a technical perspective. Sorry, but Kobe never carved a defense like MJ did in these video clips. I mean where he simply runs circles around and through the defense. Kobe could beat his guy and then score before the help defense could collapse, but MJ would beat his guy, beat the next guy and then dunk on the center who would come over to help. He had more athletic talent than Kobe, but doing what he did to say the Knicks when he dunked on Ewing was about footwork as much as it was about explosion. No way in hell Kobe is even close to MJ.

12. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

LeHype or LeChoke, whatever you call him, can't even touch Jordan's greatness.

Kobe is next closest to Jordan, but he is no Jordan. Let us make it clear.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I can't believe the Lebron hate in here.

A better passing Shawn Kemp? That is ****ing r****ded.

14. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Agreed.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fG-A_lfQlvI"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fG-A_lfQlvI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

16. albuster

albuster Member

This is the best post in this thread.

17. watashi315

watashi315 Member

He said "better on offense from a TECHNICAL PERSPECTIVE". Meaning he's not better than MJ on offense, just on a technical perspective. From all my years of watching both players, I think Kobe has definitely added more "go to" moves than when he first entered into the league. I'm not sure what "technical" aspects Bucher is referring to, but it seems Kobe's game is becoming very similar to Jordan's. With the one exception that Kobe doesn't have that perfect "fadeaway" jumper that MJ mastered.

What you can say is that Kobe has most of MJ's moves down and incorporated a little pizzazz of his own. If that's what you can call "technical". MJ kept it simple and straightforward. No flashy passes, no AND1 moves, just pure and simple basketball. But he PERFECTED all of his moves. You know how he's going to score every time he's at a certain spot, but you just can't do anything about it. He's just that good. Kobe sometimes either does a little too much razzle and dazzle or too little.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I gotta spread some rep around.

Yeah.. I can picture Kobe getting frustrated to hell with hand checking. He wouldn't get foul calls for people breathing in his direction, like some of his calls are today.

19. Merla08

Merla08 Member

The greatest Michael Jordan commercials ever made.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/owY34aRiBNU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/owY34aRiBNU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dBxcunGc_nA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dBxcunGc_nA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

20. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I think you've described it best.