1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guitar buying help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kevC, May 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I know a lot of y'all are guitar players so I thought y'all could help me out.

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now and now that I am somewhat decent at it and can afford it, I decided to graduate from my $300 Alvarez and buy myself a nicer guitar. I'm looking to spend around $1500 to $2000 on an acoustic and right now am looking at primarily Taylors or Martins.

Though I've played for a while, I really do not know much about guitars besides brand names. What should I be looking for? I'm a pretty hard strummer and like brighter sounds as opposed to a dark bass sound. I prefer a lower action since I have small hands :X. My friend suggested a Taylor 314-CE but I'm not sure how I feel about cut-aways. I like how they look but I think dreadnoughts sound better. Any suggestions? Should I perhaps think outside the Martin-Taylor box?

2. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Typically, Taylors tend to have brighter tones than those of Martins, I believe. Are you looking for an acoustic-electric? Or just full acoustic?

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'd prefer an acoustic/electric but if I find one I really like that's acoustic I might consider it.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Martin, Martin, Martin. Yes, they have a slightly darker tone overall, but that is more than made up for by the smooth action and purity of sound. Don't get me wrong: Taylor makes a fine guitar, too. But I would invest in a Martin every time, given the chance.

I'd like to upgrade at some point, but I must admit: I'm pretty happy with the rig I've got:

[​IMG]

Ovation Celebrity Super Shallow CC48. Not real pricey, and plays like a dream. Me likey.

5. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

If the original poster is looking for a brighter tone, then he should go Taylor.

Personally, I'm a Martin man since I like warmer tones. I bought mine in 1994 and it's aged beautifully and still sounds/plays incredible.

6. Special Patrol Group

It's at the high end of your price range, but play a Gibson J-45 while you're at it. GC has it for 1999 right now.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Will try it out thanks.

8. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Guitar Center is having a deal where if you buy anything over $300, you get 15% off:

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/promo/memorial-day/

I guess it's worth mentioning that I've owned a Taylor for a couple of years now and it still plays beautifully.. Just trying to give Taylors some rep :) If you want something other than a Taylor/Martin, definitely check out Seagull acoustics. I played one a few weeks ago and it was difficult for me to put it down.

Good luck with finding a guitar and make sure to try every one possible before choosing, you don't want to have any regrets!

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I actually heard about this and looked into it but it has a giant list of excluded brands including Taylor and Martin :(.

Thanks for the advice though!

10. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Here's another vote for Taylor. I'm one of those people who is horrible and doesn't change my guitar strings for a loooooong time and my guitar still sounds nice and bright.

I have a 414 CE and I love the thing.

11. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Damn, that's weak as hell.