1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WaPo: WH asked Clinton to intercede with Sestak

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, May 28, 2010.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The only fact I was relying on Wiki for is the fact that your judge is a Faux "News" personality. That tells me everything I need to know about his legal opinion.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Please see my edit. In addition to his credentials, his views will reach a lot more people with a lot more impact than either of us. Also, you didn't need Wiki to know that he is the chief judicial analyst for Fox News, the most widely viewed (like it or not) news/opinion channel.

3. GladiatoRowdy

And now he is a Faux "News" personality, which destroys his credibility, particularly when he calls for a grand jury probe into an action that fails the primary test for whether the law was broken. He has sold his soul to Faux and doesn't deserve any attention at all.

4. thumbs

... in stark contrast to his and Fox News' national television ratings. Fortunately, you are not the only one with an opinion.

5. GladiatoRowdy

No, but by appearances, my opinion is based on the law in question rather than my deep desire to smear anyone with a (D) behind their name on C-SPAN.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No, you suck because I was making fun of batman jones and you missed it but frankly you are so dumb i really kinda understand where batman was coming from now. geez.

7. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

sigh... thumbs, when are you going to get it together?

8. thumbs

Then may I suggest using some rolly eyes. If I burned you unfairly, then you have my apologies. Please remember that I'm generally under attack for my less than popular views. I don't mind the gibes at all, but I dearly love pay back. Of course, there are some posters here who are utterly defenseless when it comes to word play. For example, Pimphand24 comes to mind almost immediately.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Wow.

I cannot fathom that it would pass Constitutional muster for the government to shut down an otherwise legal entity because of an accident.

Did BP fail to use the proper safety equipment? Maybe. If so, they are subject to a very large civil penalty. BP may also be civilly liable to the fishing industry, etc.

Even if shutting BP down were Constitutional, do you really think that the government has the resources or knowhow to deal with the mess efficiently and effectively? Do you really think they can do so better than British freaking Petroleum?

I doubt it.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

So how, exactly, is stopping BP from generating revenue supposed to equip them with more resources to clean it up? Once BP runs out of cash, do you think their employees will work for free? Do you think their creditors will be very happy about not getting paid?

You cannot solve problems in a vacuum.

11. Day

Day Member

Ok, so you think their should be an investigation in the Obama administration? A criminal act is a criminal act... no matter who the current President is.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

fixed

13. GladiatoRowdy

But there hasn't been a crime. What "official act" did they ask Sestak to perform? Not running for Senate is not an "official act," no matter who does the asking.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is filing the paperwork to withdraw from a race after you've already begun campaigning an "official act?"

If John McCain had offered $100 million to Obama to withdraw from the presidential race prior to November, would that have been legal?

15. GladiatoRowdy

It is not an "official act," which is an act that an elected official takes in their capacity as office holder. No official act=no crime.

16. Day

Day Member

I would like to see an investigation on this to determine if there was an official act. I believe there was one by simply asking him to drop out of the race.

If a person seeks to hire someone to kill another and the act isn't carried out was there a criminal act?

17. Day

Day Member

fixed

18. thumbs

If a wife hires a hitman to kill her husband, but the hitman (an undercover officer perhaps) fails to perform the act, I suppose there is no crime. :rolleyes:

Attempted bribery is a crime, like it or not. If the players were Republican, you would be crying for their heads, top to bottom, on a platter.

Oooh, my apologies, Day. Great minds must think alike. I was fixated on GR's supposition that attempted bribery is not a felony.

#98 thumbs, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  19. GladiatoRowdy

Quid pro quo <> bribery

I am saying that no bribery took place per the statute, which requires that something of value must be offered in return for an "official act." I do not dispute that a job has value, even an unpaid job could potentially be valuable. However, there was no "official act," meaning an act that one could only perform as a result of being the officeholder. Anyone could enter or leave a Senate race, regardless of whether they held office or not. Sestak was not asked to do anything that required his current office, member of the House of Representatives. If he had been asked to vote one way or another in return for a job, there would be a crime, but asking someone to drop out of a Senate race isn't a crime even if a job is offered.

20. thumbs

Actually, it is.