1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Kobe gets his ring this year, how is he not the GREATEST?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rock4ever, May 13, 2010.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Alright... lets not get carried away.

2. clippy

clippy Member

No doubt. Give him any halfway decent swingman and he wins. Even when Kobe sat out the Fakers didn't skip a beat (in fact, they won at a bigger clip).

Kobe = Robin (not Lopez)

3. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

Chris Childs, baby.

3 7' footers in the paint on this current make-up of the Fakers. Yeah, they lost one to the C's without Bynum, but I bet the C's would have would beat them last year had Garnett stayed healthy. The C's punched them in the face and they didn't know what to do.

Gasol and Odom up until last season were labeled as a guy who was soft, couldn't finish a game. It took a Rockets team starting a 6'6" guy to push them to the brink and to become 'tough.' And they mowed down a Denver team that was flawed on both ends and a one-dimensional Orlando team who is anything but tough.

They're still a soft team with ridiculous size. Kobe is great, I give him that, but every time I see them on the tube I can't help but be pissed at Memphis for trading Gasol.

I hope the Celtics can meet with them and punch them in the mouth again and we'll see the true character of these Fakers.

Big and Soft.

4. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

Having a closer isn't a be-all-and-end-all solution to winning games you know. Kobe got his ass handed to him in the playoffs before Gasol got traded there. I don't know why you think Kobe being there would have made Jamison shoot better.[/QUOTE]

and lebron gets his ass handed to him every year. your point is?

5. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

so you cant be pissed at minnesota for trading kevin garnett or the supersonics for trading ray allen?

and we all know that the lakers are going to beat the celtics or magic. kobe wont let it happen again. i guarantee you, just like i told all you idiots here at clutchfans that lebron wasnt going past the semifinals about 3 months ago, ill tell yall again. the lakers are too good. theyy mature more as every year passes by. but unlike the c's the lakers get better. just keep talkin, just like yall did when i talked about the cavs.

6. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

Wait until he has won a defensive player of the year award, or another scoring title, or another ring? Heck, Kobe is not even the best player in the league right now (altough he was gifted with a better team).

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

and lebron gets his ass handed to him every year. your point is?[/QUOTE]

My point is Kobe is not better than MJ.

8. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Jordan's LEADERSHIP wouldn't allow the Bulls to get bored or complacent... Yet another intangible quality that made him a BETTER all around player than Kobe.
    Kobe = Elite
    Jordan = Legend

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

rock4ever = RockyChamp?

10. clippy

clippy Member

Kobe fanbois are like the Borg: just one giant blob of idiocy.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Forgot Michael Jordan, I want someone to answer this

When did Kobe become a better player than Hakeem Olajuwon, Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, or hell I'll even throw in Shaquille O'Neal and Rick Barry (who is often left out of these arguments)?

If we go by numbers, individual achievements, and impact on the game, I could argue that all of those players are better than Kobe.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

He isn't, but since Jordan played the same position as Bryant does, it is easier to compare.

And as long as the Bryant fanboys can't even see that Jordan is much better than Bryant they will not see that many other players have also been better than Kobe (I do not think Kobe is top 10 all time.)

13. NMS is the Best

14. dwmyers

dwmyers Contributing Member

Oh God..

Name one season where Kobe Bryant has been the most dominant player in the game? There has been none. If not Shaq, then it would be Nowitski, or Kevin Garnett, or these days, LeBron James. He's not been the best player in the league once, his MVP notwithstanding. His career best annual win share of 15.3, recorded in the 2005 season, places him 97th on the all time list.

To put this in perspective, Kevin Durant just had a season that ranks 70th of all time in win shares, at 16.09, better than any single season that Kobe has ever had. Are we going to nominate Kevin Durant as better than the best, if Kobe is the best?

Kobe's career is not the record of an outstanding professional athlete. Michael Jordan, with the 8th best win share of all time, and Oscar Robertson, with the 10th best win share of all time, have a much more respectable record of production at the guard position and would be better candidates for best of all time.

More serious candidates for BOAT would be people like Wilt Chamberlain or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

David-

1 person likes this.
  15. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Kobe's play this playoffs has been ridiculous

16. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I think Kobe is the 2nd best Shooting Guard to play the game.

Right now I have him ranked 9th on my all time list. Another ring this year would make him 6 or 7. I still don't think he is top 5 ever.

MJ
    Wilt
    Magic
    Kareem
    Russell
    Bird

still would all be ahead?

17. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Kobe hasn't been the best player? LOL. I'd argue the years where he had absolutely no supporting cast and was putting up those ridiculous numbers. You can argue Lebron has fantastic stats, but his seasons are normally end a little quicker for a 60 win team. So I don't think Lebron's in the class

18. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Wow, I started going through all the pages, and then realized there's so many, so not sure if this was mentioned, but to me MJ's competition was soooo much tougher (or seemed that way at least).

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pau Gasol is shooting 60% but Kobe keeps shooting. He doens't dare let anyone think he's actually the 2nd fiddle on the Lakers.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I don't think it's really that.... It's how the Suns are playing Gasol now after game 2. They're doubling him on the post even before he receives the ball... same goes for Kobe. It's not like Kobe hasn't been assisting... I just think Kobe's taking what the defense is giving him which is perimeter shots.