1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bellaire HS Basketball Star Killed in Car Crash after Prom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScolaIsBallin, May 16, 2010.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The lady is just as stupid as the kid then. That was my point.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

you think he just downed a bunch of shots in the parking lot???

And even if he did, it would have been at least 5 hours which would have allowed him to cool off. No alcohol is allowed in the afterparty.

And I must have been uncool in HS, as I never went to a party that lasted until 5-6 AM. My parents would have killed me anyway. College on the otherhand is a different story.

3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

The lady that was killed at the scene was not in the car with him. She was traveling in the opposite lane and was struck after Oyedeji lost control of the car.

Sad for everyone involved, but especially sad for the lady because she had nothing to do with causing the accident in anyway.

4. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

RIP.

My best friend died at 21.

Bless their souls.

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Reminds me of the tragic loss of Len Bias.

Anyways, RIP Toby!

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Like most high schools do, I assume this was a school sponsored event after prom that was not mandatory, it was to make sure the kids stay safe. There are teachers and faculty at these events, they would notice if kids were visibly drunk. I find it hard to believe he was drunk at 6 am, he would have had to drink a helluva a lot for a long period time to be drunk then.

7. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

He did not choose to off himself and he wasn't scum. Don't make stupid comments, idiot.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Sad story but he fell asleep at the wheel and a woman died.

There is so much focus on the 'tragedy' that a young kid with a promising future headed to Texas A&M died after his prom.

What about the woman and her family? What about her kids who won't have a mother anymore?

There's barely any mention of her. It's a truly tragic story but I don't like how the entire segment is basically mourning the loss of the kid, when a woman died due to his negligence.

9. krnxsnoopy

If he was drunk, and a woman died, he is a scum.

10. krnxsnoopy

No Shhit

My mother passed away when I was eighteen because a woman behind the wheel fell asleep and crossed into the other direction. Apparently she 'stayed up all night' chatting it up with family members the night before and was driving back in the morning. She survived, my mother didn't. My brother and sister were 10 and 8 and spent most of their childhood without a mother. This was 8 years ago and trust me this changed everything and still very much affects our lives today, everyday.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Oh, I must've heard wrong. I thought there was a lady with the kid in the same car. I can understand now.

12. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Tobi was coming home from Bellaire HS's After Prom. He most likely fell asleep at the wheel, but he was not drinking or high.

This is a tragic story all the way around, and I do feel sorry for both families that lost someone in this accident. I have thought that the woman's family is probably upset (and rightfully so) at how she has been left out of the story.

Tobi was a great kid and I, for on,e am heartbroken for him and his family and friends. Bellaire kids are wearing Aggie gear to school today to honor him. And I will have my 12th man jersey on.

13. foo82

foo82 Member

Reports say he hit the curb which caused him to lose control. I've fallen asleep at the wheel numerous times, hell even at 2 pm. By falling asleep, I mean micro-sleeps where you close your eyes for about 1-2 seconds and are briefly asleep. That 1 to 2 seconds can cause you to lose control very briefly and if you happen to hit something (like a curb), it would be beyond your abilty to recover from that.

It's much more likely that he's tired than alcohol related. I've had a friend get seriously injured from being tired at the wheel. He hit the rumble strips, realized he was on the edge and tried to correct, but over compensated and ended up flipping the vehicle.

Also like to mention 5-6am is one of the most dangerous times to be driving from a sleep cycle standpoint. It is when the body is most tired. That friend I was talking about got into his accident driving back to the shop from work location, he was only 5 minutes away (total 2 hr drive).

14. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Do you know what exactly happened? Calling a dead kid scum is just plain wrong. I feel bad for both families.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This same thing happened to my wife's cousin after his prom. He stayed at the "lock-in" event all night and was driving home at 7 AM when he fell asleep on the 15 minute drive home. He rolled his truck and struck a telephone pole. He thankfully survived with few injuries.

At the hospital, they found no alcohol in his system. He had just been awake for 24 hours and got behind a wheel.

I specifically remember being exhausted after my after-prom school event. I had about a 3 minute drive home, but I could see how this could easily happen.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

That's pretty concerning.

17. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Well, then either ABC's completely off or they're lying at their report that alcohol was involved....

18. foo82

foo82 Member

It is, that was back in college. I get tired easily while driving, so I try to get energy drinks. It also happened when I worked in the field where I would often go with very little sleep. If I was too tired, I would ask one of my crew to drive me back.

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I was out all night for my prom and didn't go home until around 7am. I also fell asleep about 1 mile from my house but fortunately I did not hurt anyone else or myself.

RIP to both who died

20. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

You don't know him. Don't make stupid comments, scum.