1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lets talk Aggie BBall (sigh)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ziggy, Jan 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

We have had guys like that and we have loved them. This year that player was Roland, poor kid.

And just 4 years ago there was this white kid who sort of looked a bit like a frat boy who was an engineering major (i think) and a walk on as a junior, but was a starter for Gillespie who played amazing defense frustrating the Big 12 like mad. Oh, how I miss Chris Walker.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Kirk was better. Walker left IBM to join BCG in Kentucky (fail).

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

SERIOUSLY???? The day after the Men's team blows the game to Purdue. The Women have to ante up and get upset by Gonzaga??

I can't believe this. I know I should be used to this as an Aggie fan, but can't we get a little love from the NCAA Tourney Gods? No matter what sport it is, we just can't get it done in Championship tournaments (notable exception is Golf. Go Men's team. Let's Repeat!!)

4. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Reliant would've been packed to the brim with rabid A&M fans. Purdue's cheering section will consist of a couple of know-it-all engineers based out of Houston.

It was all playing in to the hands of the Aggies. A showdown with America's most despised program in a completely pro-A&M environment. Too damn bad.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Well the good news for us after that depressing loss is that it looks like Byrne has pretty much locked up Turge for a long term deal and a pay raise after Oregon made a job offer to take him away. We just can't afford to lose another coach at this juncture. Keeping him and having him rebuff an opportunity like Oregon will do wonders for recruiting (much like Barnes turning down all those job offers to leave Texas has helped them in recruiting).

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Apparently the four guys (possibly five) that we have coming in are supposedly going to be very, very good. Add that to the guys we have returning, and the guys already committed from the class of 2011 (including 5 star PG Jamal Branch), and this program is in very good shape.

Gig 'Em Turge!!!!!!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Link? I'd go to Oregon if I was Turgeon.

8. RocketManJosh

there are several but here is a good one ... http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/9301/coaching-carousel-chatter

why go to Oregon unless they pay you a ton more money? The ath dept is in shambles and if you are a coach you have to answer to phil knight much like an osu coach has to answer to pickens. They have a lot of rebuilding to do and A&M has good recruiting classes already lined up for the next 2 years.

1 person likes this.
  9. RocketManJosh

here is the text from that link as I know those blogs sometimes dissappear ...

"Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon was approached by Oregon but has decided to stay at Texas A&M after the Aggies were able to work out some compensation issues. Turgeon was once an assistant at Oregon under Jerry Green. Turgeon ultimately wanted to stay at Texas A&M. Oregon has approached Minnesota’s Tubby Smith, but the Gophers expect Smith to stay with them. A source with direct knowledge of the situation said Smith is beloved at the school, and while they have heard for three years that Smith would leave, they are confident he will stay with them.

Once Oregon is done with Smith (after not getting Turgeon), Gonzaga's Mark Few, Florida's Billy Donovan and Pitt's Jamie Dixon, the Ducks will have to refocus the search."

10. Refman

Why?

Going to the Pac 10 is not an upgrade over the Big XII. Turgeon is apparently happy in his relationship with the administration at A&M. You never know if that will be the case somewhere else. The athletic department at Oregon is a mess.

There is no reason for Turgeon to leave for Oregon other than money. If the money issue is worked out, Turgeon staying is a no brainer.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Big 12 vs Pac 10 seems irrelevant. At Oregon you get the state school, less recruiting competition, a way more recognized institution, and the Nike recruiting chip.

12. RocketManJosh

they sure are getting used by coaches to get raises at other schools while no one actually wants to coach there ... They certainly don't have a ton of success with all the advantages you brought up ... Simple fact is that it is a rebuilding job at this point

13. Refman

Less recruiting competition for a much more shallow talent pool in the Northwest. The Nike recruiting chip has not done anything for Oregon to this point. Why do you think it is so important all of a sudden?

As for being "way more recognized," really? I don't think so. Not in basketball. It is not like Oregon is a storied basketball program that has fallen on hard times. It is a mediocre program at best.

The conference comparison is very relevant. Why, as a coach, would you leave the number 1 RPI conference in the country where you are being competitive to go to a much lesser league in the hopes that you are able to schedule a tough enough nonconference schedule to earn a tourny bid?

It simply does not make sense were it not for money.

14. I_are_n00b

I_are_n00b Member

This could be a dangerous hurdle for our program. Next year is almost certainly going to be a down year (at least in quality of seniors) and coaching changes can only make it worse...

15. Convictedstupid

Rest in peace Tobi Oyedeji... This kid had a bright bright future.. Sad day.

16. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I just heard about this. I work at Bellaire and Tobi was a great kid. I am so sorry for his friends and family. Prayers to all.

17. PointForward

PointForward Member

I am literally in shock right now, Tobi was a great kid, he was recognized a couple weeks ago for his academic achievements and I was very excited about bringing such a great character kid to the program. This is heart breaking. I can only imagine what his family is going through :(

18. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

He was on his way home from the prom. What a tragic ending to what is supposed to be a magic night. I have a son at A&M and went there myself, so was very excited about Tobi going there. He would stop by my office and talk to me about his plans. He wanted to be an engineering major.

19. PointForward

PointForward Member

He was supposed to step right in for Davis. He had a great game, ridiculous potential. This is beyond tragic. Being a week before graduation and all :(

20. RocketManJosh

Man just heard about this ... What a tragedy ... Kid had so much potential in life and it is so sad to see it end like this ... I don't think I heard anyone ever say a bad thing about this kid ... Makes me want to hug my daughter and not let go.

This comes on the heels of 2 other aggie fish that were killed in a wreck last week ... So sad to see lives ended abruptly so prematurely ... RIP Tobi