1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI.COM] John Lopez: Rockets championships are tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2o12, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superden

superden Contributing Member

Spurs '99 championship is tainted as well bc it was a lockout season and jordan retired. actually in fact...

1999-2010 (minus 2002-2003) championships are ALL TAINTED because Jordan was retired. Also, every ABA and NBA championship prior to 1985 are tainted as well because Jordan was not playing.

2. Precision340

Precision340 Member

He's the worst thing to happen to SR610.. I cannot see how Marc Vandermeer deals/works with this douche every morning!

3. Vivid

Vivid Member

All championships from 1985-1991 are also tainted because Jordan wasn't in his prime. The World Series in 94 and 95 are tainted because Jordan didn't play in the Majors.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I second (or third)

5. The Joker

The Joker Member

Can we please remove the Link so no one clicks it?

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it is amazing how 610 went from a great lineup several years ago to the dung it is today. I use to listen non-stop...now, i rarely tune in and when i do, it's in hopes that they have new, good, people on. Needless to say, i leave disappointed.

7. DOHCtah

DOHCtah Member

Hard to take a writer seriously when the idiot hasn't even mastered the proper usage of there/they're/their. This is a serious pet peeve of mine, to see so-called "writers" lacking basic fundamentals. FYI douchebag.. the proper usage is "they're". Try to pass 4th grade English before you try to pen another column.

8. DOHCtah

DOHCtah Member

whoops I read it wrong.. where is my morning coffee?? haha

guys still a douche though

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol. it was a nice attempt but.... oooooooooooops. :p

10. Alief

Alief Member

Okay I just clicked the link even after repeated warnings and I found a slightly different article that was posted in the beginning of this thread. I am not saying that I now like John Lopez, it is still a lame article but check it out...

2. Houston. Somehow, someway, this city finds a way to muster up enough energy to believe it actually has a chance. But every year there is failure. And usually it's in magnificent fashion.

Detailed explanations are not necessary. All you need to know about the heartbreak and choking ways of this city are snippets: Bills-Oilers, 1993. Luv Ya Blue and Mike Renfro at Pittsburgh in 1979. Phi Slama Jama-N.C. State, 1983. Brad Lidge-Albert Pujols in the 2005 NLCS, when two batters earlier the Astros had been within one strike of going to the World Series. On and on it goes. The Oilers and Texans always have put forth talented products, to no avail. Until recent years, the Astros perennially contended. The Rockets spare no expense. But almost always, they fall short.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/05/13/chokes/index.html#ixzz0nvTBHMCI
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Before always there is the word almost in the last sentence, and there is no mention of tainted Rockets victories.... Did he amend it or was this article amended for our benefit during the posting process??? Either way something strange is a foot... Let me round up the Scooby Gang and we'll get on this right away...

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't see the statements either.

however, people who read the cliff notes of the nba have this same perception. false of course, same with the perception that Dream didn't make the finals until jordan 'retired'. there's also a perception that the bulls destroyed the rockets in the early 90s. that's false too. then of course you have losers who think tmac was more dominate than hakeem.

it's our duty to keep the truth alive. i believe clutch didn't make clutchfans for people who think the rockets championships were tainted.

he made it for real rockets fans.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The weekend shows on 610 isn't bad. I like it. I hate how I leave on 610 on Sunday, only to come in my car monday and hear trimspa lopez. Have another empenada.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

That coward removed the flame comment about the championships.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Alief. Are you John lopez?

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Why do people pretend Jordan didnt play ball in 1995?

16. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

this is why my last SI issue was the one with Hakeem on it... and I felt bad paying money for it.. I hate how all this article does is perpetuate the myth... I still feel we were matched up better than anyone else to play against the Bulls.

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Really?? That's weak balls right there.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Is he the loser from the monsters of the mid-day show?

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If anyone ever took John Lopez seriously, this thread shows why you shouldn't. First off, the most obvious flame bull**** line (about the two championships) is removed after the fact, which is beyond cowardly and a disgrace to the entire concept of responsible journalism.

Second, take a look at the bolded part. The incident he spends the most time discussing and dramatizing ("one strike of going to the World Series")... the Astros made the freakin' World Series the VERY NEXT GAME. What the hell point are you trying to make, John? (Answer: he's not. He's just rambling for the sake of rambling, and for some ungodly reason people pay him to do this.)

20. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Never been a fan of Lopez. He's borderline racist with his articles. I remember he referred to Steve Francis and cuttino mobley as "thugs" and felt compelled to berate the hip hop generation. He even tried to pass judgment on Steve mcnair (RIP) after he passed, saying he "should be looked at different" for his extra marital activities right after he died.

Why they have him on 610 baffles me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.