1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SF Chron: Yao vs USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

It appears Yao is in line for another beating.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/08/18/SP173196.DTL

Baron Davis was discussing his difficulty in dunking over forward- center Antonio Davis during NBA games when fellow point guard Jay Williams -- unbidden -- suggested another target for his acrobatic U.S. teammate.

"You have to get Yao Ming," Williams said.

"Nah, that's all you," Baron Davis replied. "I'll throw you a lob."

Maybe on Thursday, when the 7-foot-5 Yao, the first pick in the 2002 NBA Draft, leads the Chinese national team against Team USA in an exhibition at the Arena in Oakland. The game will mark Yao's U.S. debut against All-Star- caliber competition, heightening the curiosity surrounding the first of the Americans' two tuneups before the World Basketball Championships begin Aug. 29 in Indianapolis. Forget Austin Powers: Yao, 21, is the real international man of mystery. U.S. players quizzed about the Houston Rockets' new center after a two-hour workout Friday night at USF -- the first of six scheduled Bay Area practices before Thursday's meeting -- claimed to know as much about Yao as they do the players from Algeria, their first opponent at the 16-team competition.

Yao clearly is not No. 1 in Shawn Marion's program.

"He's what, 7-2?" the Phoenix Suns' forward asked.

When informed that he was selling Yao short, Marion said: "So he's 7-5? Wow,

that's a tower right there. I had no idea. I haven't been investigating."

The evidence is negligible, anyway. Before he scored 17 points, making all six field goals and all five free throws, Friday in China's 28-point exhibition loss to Canada in Vancouver, British Columbia, Yao's North American highlight reel mainly consisted of a 50-minute predraft audition in Chicago. A foul-plagued Yao logged 16 minutes in a 47-point defeat to the Americans at the 2000 Sydney Games, but this U.S. club is composed of 12 different players, including Boston Celtics swingman Paul Pierce, Dallas Mavericks swingman Michael Finley, Los Angeles Clippers power forward Elton Brand and Detroit Pistons forward-center Ben Wallace.

Then again, can Yao differentiate between Baron Davis and Antonio Davis, or Andre Miller and Reggie Miller?

"He's going to be surprised by some of our guys too," U.S. coach George Karl said. "I don't think he's played against a player like Jermaine O'Neal."

O'Neal, the Indiana Pacers' All-Star big man and the league's most improved player last season, figures to match up occasionally against Yao on Thursday and again when the teams play in a televised game Aug. 31 at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. The 6-foot-11, 242-pound O'Neal will measure Yao with an eye toward the Pacers' regular-season opener against the Rockets on Oct. 30.

"There is some anticipation there, definitely," O'Neal said. "When you're the No. 1 draft pick in the NBA, everybody wants to see what you can do."

Except Antonio Davis, the wily nine-year NBA veteran who will welcome Yao with indifference.

"I don't think it's a major concern," said the Toronto Raptors' Davis, 31. "I don't think he's going to do anything that I haven't seen before. He may be a little taller, but I don't think he's going to surprise me in any way.

"As far as I'm concerned, just beat him up. That's all I know, beat him up and hopefully I get him to respond in different ways."

-----------------------------------------------

USA VS. CHINA
    -- What: Exhibition game between the American and Chinese teams that will compete in the 2002 FIBA World Basketball Championships beginning Aug. 29 in Indianapolis

-- When: 7 p.m. Thursday

-- Where: Arena in Oakland

-- Who: American team is made up of 12 NBA players and alternate Nick Collison of Kansas; the Chinese roster includes Yao Ming, the No. 1 pick in the 2002 NBA Draft

-- TV: None

-- Radio: KNBR (680 AM)

-- Tickets: Still available, including some for as low as $15. Call (888) 479-4667 or visit www.tickets.com

#1 Old School, Aug 19, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2002
  2. Sane

Sane Member

Is there any way anyone can send a copy of this article, along with pictures of Baron Davis and Jay Williams to Yao?

I'm dead serious here.

3. guest

guest Member

now I smell a bit of hostility here..............

4. Old School

Old School Member

I hope Yao has thick skin...he's gonna get a lot of guys coming at him this year. I also hope and do think his Rocket teammates will step up and help protect Yao. I think in the end this team will come together and bond quicker in some weird way.

So, who do we pull for? USA or China???????

os

5. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

even though i'm not american, i want canada to be the only team to beat the usa (though unrealistic)...so in this game i'm going for usa...although i want Yao to have the best numbers of the game.

6. Sane

Sane Member

Guys, what are your thoughts on us acquiring a Charles Oakley? Maybe Oakley himself?

the thing with Oakley is, he's good for one seaosn to bring your team together and toughen them up. After that he gets on everyone's nerves. So what do you say to 10 minutes a game of Oakley for one season?

I say it does Ming and Francis a LOT of good.

If we could somehow unload KT for a backup SG, I think our roster is set:

Cato/Ming
    Taylor/Griffin/Oakley
    Rice/Nachbar/T-Mo
    Mobley/SG acquired through KT
    Francis/Mooch

That team is super deep too. Our second unit is last year's starting line-up, LOL!

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't want Oakley. Someone younger , LIKE Oakley, but NOT Oakley himself. He'd be a $h!t in the locker room, IMHO.

8. Stevie Francis

yeah so yao can see how they underestimate him, then he will go off of them. Jermaine O'neal won't do anything against ming, it like francis trying to shoot or defend darius miles, francis can not block his sot becasue yao has a 6-7 inch height advantage. Yao will school them boys.

(time to talk ghetto)

Man ming gonna break them boys of, and my boi b diddy is gona chop the mother fu**as up. but my man ming gonna send swat that **** he puts up. You know what i'm saying dawg. Thats what i thought fo sho.

lol i had to get that off.

9. guest

guest Member

ok... listen....

I don't care about Ming scoring in this game...

but I want him to block as many shots as possible............

I'm pretty sure there are lots of nba stars wanting to DUNK over Ming ....... just like ppl wanna dunk on Mutombo.....

look...........
    10 blocks on USA team will surely raise some eyebrows... :D

take the crap out of here!!!!!!!!

10. Sane

Sane Member

You knoe what would make the biggest impact on his career EVER? Triple double against the US.

12pts, 12reb, 10blk

Hits 1 three-pointer, 1 of 2 FT's, then a total of 5 of 9 from the field.

What do you think the reaction would be if Ming absolutely STUFFED J-Will?

11. guest

guest Member

Ming's pretty good passer too.........

maybe we'll see a "quadruple" from him.......

12. Stevie Francis

man i say if he puts up numbers like he did in the chinese playoffs what was it like 39 pts, 21 reb, and 4 blocks. He would already be the ROY. Just like Vince Carter won the dunk contest before he did anything.

13. guest

guest Member

if he can just put up 30 / 10/ 4, he'll be the MVP ...not just ROY. but nah.. let's not get too carried away... :D

14. outlaw

outlaw Member

Gary Trent is still unsigned and he's pretty handy with a pool stick.

15. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Gary Trent and Oakley are good rebounders. I've always liked both
    of these players. Oakley has a decent 15ft jump shot too. Similar
    to MoT.

The only reason that Barkley had a problem with Oakley was
    because "the Oaktree" gave Barkley a hard time!

Four of the strongest players in the league are: Karl Malone, Shaq,
    Kevin Willis, and Charles Oakley.

I remember one time when NY was playing Charlotte. Larry Johnson
    and Charles Oakley got into a scuffle. Johnson, who is bigger and taller
    than Oakley thought he could just push him to the ground. Oakley
    grabbed Johnson around the throat/jersey and picked him up and threw him
    back like a rag doll. Now that was power!

16. Sane

Sane Member

I don't know about Trent. He's kinda small.

I like the I'd like to get rid of Collier and KT in one deal for a draft pick which we'll give to Memphis next year.

Then if we could re-sign Willis and Oakley for tiny deals. Say, 1M each? That would be even better.

Cato/Ming/Willis
    MoT/Griff/Oak
    Rice/Nachbar/T-Mo
    Mobley/Torres I guess
    Francis/Mooch

We need that kind of help up front. Strong players who will defend our players while teaching them how to mature. I have no doubt Willis helped Cato a LOT last season.

17. outlaw

outlaw Member

Or maybe because he bodyslammed Barkley during a freaking preseason game for no reason?

18. DavidS

I've seen this roster posted many times.
    And, the above list is probably going to be
    the starting lineup.

But, I hope that soon...It will change to this:

Ming
    Griff
    Nachbar
    Mobley
    Fancis

Now that's balanced scoring. It's always nice
    to have 5 players on the floor that can score
    more than 20ppg on a given night.

#18 DavidS, Aug 19, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2002
  19. DavidS

Bull crap. I was a Rocket fan. I saw the whole
    thing. It started way before that.

Oakley and Barkley were battling way before
    that. Barkley was getting older and wasn't
    able to rebound as well as he used to. And
    Oakley was getting into his head. That body
    slam was just one thing that had happened
    over the course of many years.

In the past, Barkley could handle Oakley.
    But not later in his career. It was pissing
    Barkley off, so he started trashtaking with
    Oakley. Sooner or later there would be a fight.
    So, it happened.

20. Matador

Matador Member

At nba.com Oakley is listed as 6'9" and 245 lbs. and Trent is 6'8" and 250 lbs. I don't see much of a difference.