1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would it take?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Believe2000, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Believe2000

Believe2000 Member

The Rox need an inside presence like we need oxygen. They must upgrade! Is there anyway to attain Olowokandi? A short term contract would be ideal. It would give Ming time to gain the strength and stamina he will need to be a real threat in the post. Unless Cato has undergone a brain transplant and the Rox organization has confirmed his progress (Major Progress), then they should do whatever it took to upgrade that posistion. Is it possible? If so, what would it take?

If not Olowakandi then who?

2. Panda

Panda Member

Nah, Yao is a threat in the post. His post up game is better than Cato already. He scored all his points in the post posting up at 100% accuracy in the last game. We need to solidify the 3 spot than any other position.

3. RedRock

RedRock Member

I certainly hope Yao turns out to be an inside threat, because as "Believe" said, we desperately need an inside presence, offensively and defensively. Saying Yao has a better post up game than Cato is not saying much. Yao, priority #1, hit the weights. World tournaments are not the NBA. Fortunately, he seems to think the same due to his comments on the Canadian center. And no, I'm not a Yao hater. He would have been my #1 pick too. Also, would like to see EG work on his post up game. Don't want to see him fall in love with the 3 so much. Give these guys a year or two, and the inside game shouldn't be a problem.

4. Panda

Panda Member

I agree that Yao definitely needs to hit the weight room, just not as much as some may think. Yao has enough in his tank to play a finesse center's post up game right now, he can also bang a little. He's never been under good post up coaching and will only get better. Yao's NBA ready and can step right in as a starting center after a short adjustment period say 3 months IMO.There's no need to trade what we've got, which isn't much, for another center.

5. RedRock

RedRock Member

Agreed NBA coaching will help, not to mention playing with NBA guards. ;)

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

How about Kelvin Cato and Kenny Thomas for Dale Davis and a 1st rounder?

7. aznlincolnpark

no one can really block yao ming shots by the way

8. wagner

wagner Member

Bradley mayby can...:p

9. guest

guest Member

yeah.. Bradley is probably as fast as Ming's grandma.......

and I don't think Bradley will be able to outjump Ming........

have you ever seen Bradley's legs? they are like toothpicks.....
    hard to imagine how he can generate any sort of power from those legs...

10. Stevie Francis

we don't need anyone we are fine, just wait til the season starts and you will see yao put up better #'s than olowkandi.

11. Sane

Sane Member

I think Griffin can block Ming's shot. Because he's just barely less that 7'0 feet tall, but with great leaping ability.

12. Stevie Francis

no way griff can block yao's shot. griff is like j oneal, we will see how many times he gets blocke on august the 30th

13. guest

guest Member

Ming has pretty quick release... yeah.. Grif's 6'10 or 6'11.......
    but I don't see how he'll block a guy half a foot taller than him...

14. lpbman

lpbman Member

Griffin blocked Kevin Garnett's jumpshot
    he can block anyone

15. Stevie Francis

man, do did you just read the post above your, garnett is 6 inches shorter than ming. It like francis trying to block chris webbers shot.

I do remeber francis blocking Tim Duncan of the glass. thats was funny.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont think we want to trade ming for olowakandi.

he will turn out to be the next great center of the nba.

17. Believe2000

Believe2000 Member

UH, what I was asking was if it was possible to get Olowokandi and if so, then what it would take?

I can tell you right now. Even if Ming puts up good #s on offense(keep in mind, he will probably only play 15-20 min), if a 6ft 6in 260 pd center is going to be knocking him around, then like I said we definitely need an upgrade at that posisition.

YAO IS GOING TO TAKE TIME! If not Olowokandi, then who?

So what would it take?

18. Panda

Panda Member

Do you realize that even Ben Wallace, at 240, is not as heavy as that Canadian C while having higher center of gravity? Yao won't be pushed around by Wallace, let alone by a toothpick like J. Oneal. You can bank on that.

Maurice Taylor is huge at 6'9 260 lbs, shrink him for 3 inches and make him more "bulging" then you get the picture of that Canadian center.

That Canadian guy is no normal C. He's brought in specifically to wrestle Yao with his both hands out of the paint, otherwise it's insane to put an 6-6 guy on a 7-6 guy. Don't you smell the game plan here?

Unless Charles Barkley is back in the NBA, I don't think there's anyone in NBA can push Yao around except Shaq, after all the guy is freaking 300 pounds and gaining weight!

Yao needs to hit the weight room, but that's for the purpose of dominance and pushing others around.

I don't want upgrade at C, Yao is the upgrade.

#18 Panda, Aug 19, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2002
  19. because24

because24 Member

Yao is definitely an upgrade at our center position. It would benefit us having another center that could contribute and teach Ming a few things about being a big man in the NBA. Thats why I like the trade that was posted earlier about Thomas and Cato for Dale Davis. This would help both teams and Portland is dangling Davis right now for a trade. :cool:

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm sorry, Panda. But you're wrong. Don't you know by now that any (U.S.) high school center could outbattle Yao in the paint, and that Yao will be the biggest bust in NBA draft history?

Please remember that I added this ;) to my post.