1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long will it be before Ming dominates?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Assuming he has no problems with his legs, how long will it be? Shaq probably won't play more than 3-5 more years. That'll leave a void of dominating big men at the center position. So, the question is: How long will it be before Ming dominates the league?

A) He'll dominate immediately.
    B) <6 months
    C) <1 year
    D) <2 years
    E) <3 years
    F) 3 years or more
    G) He'll never dominate.

I'll say 3 years or less.

2. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

personally, i don't think he will DOMINATE the league in the way legends of the past have. he won't be unstoppable like shaq has been or as amazing as dr. j/mj/magic. however...i think he will make a huge impact within 1-2 years and be a top notch center right next to shaq in 2 or 3 years. he does have the potential to dominate because of his amazing height and ability to go along with that height (unlike muresan or bradley)...but i'm just not sure if he will totally dominate. but hey, you never know.

3. RedRock

RedRock Member

I have to agree with 3814. I don't see Yao dominating the game like Hakeem or Shaq, but do see him becoming a very good, effective player for a long time...say within 2 years.

4. guest

guest Member

when Francis starts PASSING him DA BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

which I don't think will happen too quickly....

francis is a hog...

5. aznlincolnpark

funny poster:D

give ming more touches, he will get more points and do more damages...:p

6. Sane

Sane Member

I also agree that he won't be Shaq-like in his dominance. It will be more of a "you're helpless to stop me from shooting" type of dominance. Like he can get his shot off at anytime by freeing himself, and his shooting touch is excellent.

I'd say that's about in 1.5 seasons.

7. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well unless Miss Cleo joined this board your very over done post wont be answered.

NOone has been able to give a timtable for his domination to begin, Also I dont understand how you "scouts" can say if Yao will be as great as Shaq or Dream, besides I dont think there where that many people right off thinking that Shaq would dethron dream.

I just think that we will answer this question after the season starts.

8. Sane

Sane Member

Well, we're not looking for the exact number, lol. We're just discussing it. You know. Debate. Some people use mesage boards to do it.

I find it kinda weird when someone says "No one knows for sure, so why the post"? Obviously, to discuss it and get an idea of what everyone else thinks.

9. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well I guess it is a boring summer, Well then since we are just debating then say....

13.4 points

5.2 boards

5.6 blocks

68.9% fg

85.1 % ft

1 ejection

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Shaq didn't dethrone Dream. Dream got old. So will Shaq. I think Yao will be the first Yao. Part Sampson (MUCH bigger lower body), part Walton (bigger, period... a good passer), and part Sabonis (smart as hell) with a lot of Yao thrown in. (LOL!)

We'll have to wait and see, obviously, but I'm optimistic. With luck, he'll be the tearing up the League in 2 years. :cool:

11. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well dream kicked his butt when Dream was himself, I was simply saying that people werent proclaming Shaq a Dream stopper, basicly what Im saying is Yao may be not be excepted to be great but that is no sign that he wont be.

Do you think maybe this will be the year of Shaq's decline?

12. Stevie Francis

lol @ sofines commet ( i'm finer than you) Any way 1 ejection? Whats he gonna do curse out the ref in chinese. Or will he get in a fight with Wang, or bradly, or maybe shaq.

Any way Yao can dominate if he wants to. Good example who would have thought kobe would dominate? There a re a lot more player i can name, i know he will dominate cause he has the skills and the heart and thats all he needs

13. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I figure the 1 ejection would come when accidently steps on Musgie Bouges:D

14. guest

guest Member

shaq will not log as many minutes this year....
    and he'll miss alot of regular season games too.....

so i can see the lakers slip down to seed #4.... or even #5.

but shaq will be ready when it comes to playoffs.......
    but they just won't get home-court advantage all the way...

15. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

:eek:

16. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Guest are predicting the Lakers to win it again this year? I hate to sound mean but Im sick of these Lakers!

17. Stevie Francis

if shaq doesn't come back the same, the lakers will not win a championship

18. Sane

Sane Member

I think Shaq is going to win the 4-peat, then shock everyone by retiring.

He's getting the surgery done, so he won't be playing the first month I think, but come playoff time, he'll have a month's rest on everyone, and he'll be healthy. Meaning he will play good D again, like 2 seasons ago.

I really find it hard to believe the Lakers will be dethroned with a healthy Shaq. Last year, the Kings lost Peja but had home court advantage, but Shaq wasn't healthy. Keon Clark has joined the Knicks though, so it will get interesting.

To be quite honest with you, the Kings can have home court advantage, they can have the whole Arco screaming for them to win, they can have full health, but nobody can beat Shaq and Kobe in the playoffs. Don't think for a SECOND that the addition that the Kings made overshadows the Lakers. Devean George's role will increase, and he's a fast-improving player. I think he will really surprise. But the MOST important piece to the Lakers next ring will be Kareem Rush. Imagine Shaq, Horry, Kobe, Rush and Fisher on the court? Murray and SHaw on the bench? DO YOU SEE the Rockets re-invented? Dominant low post C, star SG, gang of 3-pt shooters.

I really can't see anyone beating a healthy Lakers team.

19. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Hey! I thought we were supposed to be the underdogs this year? Everyone else is saying we will be destroyed by the Kings.:D

20. guest

guest Member

if it was that miracle shot by Robert Horry, and that PERFECT pass by Divac, the Kings would have wrapped up the series 4-1 already....