1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns to wear "Los Suns" jerseys to convey opinion on new immigration law

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, May 4, 2010.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What could be considered probable cause? An accent may be a stretch, but what if he was talking in spanish?

because the law wasnt passed in a state where there's a significant chinese population...there's a signficant hisp pop though and when they make comments about southern borders and drugs i think it's safe to assume they're refering to Mexico and not china, europe, etc... They made it pretty clear the law was aimed to control illegal immigration from Mexico, so if that's their intention their likely to be looking for people who look mexican over anything else. Technically they could apply it to someone of another nationality, so those people should also be worried, but that's not the face they put to this law.

2. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

You're right, the overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants are Hispanic.

That being said, I find myself in agreement with Phil Jackson, of all people...
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/po...n-his-future-and-leaving-politics-in-the-past

3. Day

Day Member

I watched the news tonight and saw a story about Phil Jackson and what he said about "Los Suns"

http://laist.com/2010/05/06/obama_endorses_los_suns_coach_phil.php?gallery0Pic=2
    "Am I crazy, or am I the only one that heard [the legislature] say ‘we just took the United States immigration law and adapted it to our state," he said. "I don't think teams should get involved in the political stuff. And I think this one's still kind of coming out to balance as to how it's going to be favorably looked upon by our public. If I heard it right the American people are really for stronger immigration laws, if I'm not mistaken. Where we stand as basketball teams, we should let that kind of play out and let the political end of that go where it's going to go"

4. Day

Day Member

EbolaScola beat me to the posting...

5. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

We are all immigrants in one way or another, unless you are Native American. If you are white, your ancestors where from Europe, if you are black, your ancestors where also from Europe or African locations, if you are hispanic, like I am, then our ancestors where from South America. That being said, when someone posts about immigrants overcrowding, and using your tax dollars, I see it as ignorrant, because your tax dollars like mine go to the Government and their pockets, illegal immigrants work hard for their money, just like everyone else, and are probably the ones who build your kids schools, and roads, and offices, and a lot of other things. So Los Suns jersey is a good way to show that the immigration wall is a dumb idea, but they do need to enforce strict laws to prevent crimminals, drug dealers coming into the states, and spend those tax dollars to protect other people and stop worrying about hard workers coming to earn a well earned dollar.
    :rolleyes:

6. Day

Day Member

Since your base for your argument is on facts. Can you show me a list of countries that don't have an immigration law? The may or may not be a dumb idea we haven't seen in fully operational. what is dumb is not closing the border off. There are reasons why every country has an immigration law, a process to get a work visa, and etc. to think otherwise is just "ignorant"

There are several reasons economic wise that I don't agree with you. SO consider me ignorant. In hopes of keeping this short I will just like to point out something that maybe you haven't thought about. Those hard working people that you speak of have sent back home 17 billions dollars last year. Thats 17 billion dollars that did not get put back into our economy. Our unemployment number has risen to 9.9%. The illegals that are here working maybe taken jobs away from the legal unemployed people that could use the work. So while I don't mind people that want to come to America to work hard at any level of our country... to be Americans. I don't like the fact that they come here as illegal immigrants expecting to take advantage of our system. They are breaking the LAW of our land. It seems like a complete lack of respect.

7. Day

Day Member

with i had an edit feature.

The wall may or may not be a dumb idea...