1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns to wear "Los Suns" jerseys to convey opinion on new immigration law

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, May 4, 2010.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

First, it should have been Sol- the name on the jersey is not The Suns, but Suns (which also goes to show that their team name is dumb- since when is there more than one sun?). Second, they definitely have the "right" to do this- the team asked for approval from the NBA and got it- it's their team and they have the right to do what they want. So the question of whether they could do it or not is pointless. Should they? Part of me says I think it would have been more appropriate to say that this gesture was done on Cinco de Mayo to celebrate the culture. I don't think the owner should have brought politics into it. Then again, teams will wear bands to show support for Katrina victims, Haiti victims, etc. So, if the team did it on the basis of "they are now victims of this unfair law..", I supposed it would be in line with other such gestures. Nah- can't really compare the two. Verdict: team can do what they want, but should have done this to celebrate diversity, not protest a law.

2. Day

Day Member

yes we get it everyone is racist but you...

3. realmustang

realmustang Member

Don't get me wrong here guys. I am against illegal immigration but this law is not the way to do things. I am for sealing the border by putting more technology and National Guard to protect our borders. I'm not for building a 10 foot wall because all that is needed to get over it is a taller ladder. As I stated in a previous post, the AZ Republicans like to blame the Federal Government for not sealing the border but the Republicans are the ones that are not wanting to act on any kind of immigration reform. The AZ law pretty much gives criminals the green to commit crimes against the AZ Hispanic community because they will be afraid to call the police due to the fear that they may end up being the ones arrested.

4. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

This thread definitely should be in the D&D now.

5. Day

Day Member

first - it took more than republicans to pass this bill. There were some democrats involved too. The democrats in AZ are just as mad as the Republicans at the Federal Government not wanting to do anything. You think the either party is happy that the people of AZ are not being protected?

second - on the Federal level - both republicans and democrats are not wanting to touch this issue. they both are to blame for this issue getting out of control!!
    You think Obama wants the congress to take on yet another controversial reform?

You're right... this should be in the D&D.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Giving more power to this self-promoting asswipe is a great idea.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I have to explain that?

I thought it was understood, but ok...

If a LEGAL citizen, who LOOKS like an immigrant, possibly SOUNDS like an immigrant, is stopped by the police he has to provide PROOF that he's a legal immigrant. If he can't provide such proof HE WILL BE DETAINED AND ARRESTED. Where do you think he'll be held until his status can be verified? The holiday inn? No, JAIL!

"it only affects people who have no legal status"

and how do you pick only those people out in the streets?!?! you cant. that's the point!! You'd be going mainly by their appearance, which is why it's racial profiling...

Talk about a knee jerk response...

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Laker
    Celtic
    Hornet
    etc...It's not a dumb name because it's plural, for the team, which has more than one player. If you took the S off it would be wrong.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Nice twisting of logic there, pilgrim.

In Calfornia they're letting some prisoners out to save money. So if a prisoner that normally should have been in jail kills someone after he gets let out, is the victim's family going to say
    "Only FREE citizens have the right to kill someone in the community!!"

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Yes, that is right. I stand corrected.

11. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

I don't think it's as disastrous as your response may indicate because legal immigrants should be able to provide proof considering any AZ state-issued ID can be considered valid proof.

12. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

What's with all the rage? :confused:

13. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Ok lets step away from the CNN ticker for a moment and give the law enforcement a chance before you start casting stones here....

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't mind the Suns wearing the Los Suns unis, especially on Cinco De Mayo, but in general I don't agree with Sports mixing with politics.

15. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

This is exactly my problem with this law and the death penalty. Laws shouldn't lead to great injustices happening to honest people simply because the mechanism of the enforcement of the law is mostly based on human judgement. Which is ultimately fallible. So we may execute a hundred guilty prisoners but it is not worth it to me if we execute even one innocent man (which DNA tests shows the state of Texas almost certainly has). So this law may lead to a hundred illegals who are in fact illegal being deported, fine (they'll just cross the boarder again in 6 months anyway). But even if 1% of these arrests lead to innocent people being harrassed its a crappy law.

16. SunsRocketsfan

haha good one.. i'd like to ask Sarver that..

oh well at least the suns won in a exciting game :)

17. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

And another thing, since people are arguing that this law will cause racial profiling, why are the Suns singling out Hispanic immigrants with their "Los Suns" jerseys?

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Like i mentioned before, we dont always carry that kind of proof. I realize, and mentioned also, that most of the time they'll just show an ID and be on their way, but there will be a time when someone forgot it or just wasnt carrying it. We'd like to think and hope residents would remember to in order to avoid being arrested, but it's unrealistic to think no one will ever forget it.

For those that "forget" their ID the results will differ. For some it'll just be a waste of time and some embarassment, but for others it may be income lost or worst.

Are you implying the law's racial profiling is similar to the Suns' actions? not the same thing..

19. Bob

Bob Member

That is merely an allegation not actually based upon the law as currently written. Having an accent would not be probable cause. When the law actually goes into effect the hysteria will quickly die down.

This kind of knee jerk reaction is why I don't want politics in sports. I want to write about basketball. There are political websites to argue over politics.

20. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

Not exactly the same thing, but they're the ones bringing the race issue into by going Spanglish. Why don't they protest the law by wearing jerseys in Chinese? Or any other language? Why does it have to be Spanglish?