1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790: Rockets willing to take on salary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 4, 2010.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Having lived in both countries

Tax Rates:
    * Texas Resident:
    - Income 39.5%... higher because all of his exemptions are phased out due to being over income levels
    - Property Tax Rate: 3% of home value

* Canada
    * Starts at 45%, his rate is probably 50% plus
    * Expensive real estate, food, clothing, etc...
    * Automobiles priced at least $15K higher, $25K on luxury autos

Trust me, my money in the H goes a lot farther than Canada.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why do athletes hate Toronto. It is a nicer city than Houston except for the whole cold part.

3. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

1st you don't read my post carefully that is a response to someone else. it's my point to indicate hometown and income tax free are just ****. they don't care.

2nd, bosh said he doesn't give hometown any discount. it doesn't mean he won't pick mavs. he's never said he won't pick mavs. period. please don't draw anything outside his context.

3rd both can play c/p position and they can exchange. i don't see why they can't play together.

if he does't like another star, he shouldn't leave raptors. he was, is, and will be their man for his career if he stays. it means he doesn't care about winning.

do we need to continue to discuss?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

40+% taxes.

DD

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suspect that pro basketball players have the privilege of paying state taxes in every state they play in.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But health care is free.

7. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

It will be here before too long........although some on the right would argue so will the 40% tax rate. :grin: :grin: :cool:

8. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Yes. The Canadian rate is 29%. 11.16% in Ontario.

NY tax (state and city) is even higher!

9. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

ROFLMAO!

Millionaires don't wait in 3-month queues to get some penicillin. He'll fly to whatever country doesn't have socialized medicine.

We do have the advantage of Mexico being close.

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

He's said he has baggage, he's said that going to his hometown is not appealing. Therefore your argument that he might favor Dallas is irrelevant.

Bosh has said in interviews he has no interest in playing center, and with that thin frame and his not good post defense, I don't blame him. And that doesn't get into the fact then that Dirk-Bosh-three other guys becomes a 100% jump shooting team, with no one in the paint. It is the very fact that they have never had anyone who can really bang in the paint that is one of the major reason Dallas chokes every playoff. Dallas desperately needs a banger. Bosh is not.

The two are not seperate. Bosh wants to be the main guy, and he wants to win. He's said that. ONLY Houston (and maybe Chicago) can do that.

I would argue one major reason is simply because it's another losing culture city - it's the same reason no free agent ever goes to Memphis or Minnesota. Toronto's frankly always been a soft city - look at their locker room reaction after that critical loss to the Bulls, they were chill about it. A team that was obsessed with winning would have NEVER had that attitude.

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

do you really know what it means? correct me if i am wrong. he doesn't care about those small differences. but it doesn't mean he dislike dallas.

do you really understand what i am talking? go back to read my response that mentions mavs. find the reason why i brought in mavs in discussion.

what?

i thought morey said he will find a defense minded pf/c to help out yao. please hurry up and talk to morey before he gets bosh. we need a defense minded pf/c. bosh doesn't fit into what morey described. he is neither center, at least he doesn't want to play center, nor good post defender.

don't forget raptors can do that too. i believe there are more teams which can do that. can someone come up a list?

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

btw, why can ONLY houston WIN? i hope you won't mention yao. otherwise, i would be very disappointed.

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Houston (maybe Chicago, but whether Bosh or Rose is the main guy would be iffy) is the only team that can win with Bosh being the main guy. Do I really need to go over this? Brooks-Martin-Ariza-Bosh-Yao and a good bench assuming we don't give up too much (which we won't, as Morey vs. Colon Jelly should be hilarious to watch) is easily a championship team, and I would argue it would be so even if Yao is limited - this team is scarily similar to the 2002 Kings, and I think Yao can easily be as good as Divac even with a difficult comeback.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Morey is finding a guy primarily to back up Yao is different than trading for Bosh. Bosh would be the starting PF, not Yao's backup. Yao's backup would be a seperate deal.

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Apparently, not appealing does not mean he dislikes something.

That's assuming we need Bosh to back up Yao in the first place, and I would say Bosh could play center in very situational matchups, much like we could use Hayes next year depending on the situation. But depending on Bosh as a starting center consistently is foolish, which is what Dallas would do (or play Dirk as center, but same result).
    And I said Bosh's post D is not good. From what I understand, he's respectable in pick and roll D, something that Yao is flat out awful in due to his slowness. So he works well there too.

Wut.
    He wants to be on a championship team, while being the head dude. Toronto isn't winning anything anytime soon. He'd be behind Durant in OKC. He'd be behind Kobe and Gasol in LA. He'd probably be behind Dirk in Dallas (and as I have discussed they can't work together.) He'd be behind Wade in Chicago (he'd be probably behind Rose in Chicago) or Miami, and he'd be either stuck by himself in New York on a junk team or behind Lebron or Wade.

Get the point.

16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i can't believe you drag yao into the discussion. like i said, it is very disappointing. tell me the truth what the % in your mind yao won't be hurt again. do you know how many ppl (including bosh) on the earth believe in 100% sure that yao won't be hurt again in next a couple years? probably none. w/ yao's uncertainty. would bosh pick houston. btw, does bosh often go to las vagas? is he a crazy gambler?

w/o yao, this team is a lottery team, wandering @ .500, that has been proved in the season. adding bosh are not going to make this team a title contender. if playoff bound can make bosh happy. he can stay in toronto and wait their center back from injury. with his center back, toronto most likely will get into playoff. they just missed playoff by a little bit.

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

..........................huh? What center? I don't remember reading anything about Barganni being injured, and I'm sure he's their center. Furthermore, Bargs, whom is a poor man's Dirk, is a perfect example of what would happen if you played Dirk and Bosh together. The results were not good for the Raptors.

Frankly? I am 80% certain Yao will not be hurt significantly over the course of the season. I fully expect he will miss some games, but I don't expect another season ending injury given the nature of the surgery. I will guarantee Yao will play more than 55 games next season, and probably more. I also expect Adelman will limit his minutes ala Pop and he should be fine for playoffs.

We were .500 without Yao, with a team needing time to gel from a trade, and without a player of Bosh's caliber. The Raptors were .500 with Bosh, and were utter trash in the final stretch when Bosh was injured. I think there's a difference.

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

that is not what i got from the interview morey did after the season was over. you should go back to listen to his interview one more time.

morey wants a DEFENSE MINDED PF/C who can play center before yao is completely back to what he was before the last injury. morey estimated it most like will happen at the end of the regular season. after that, new guy can slice into pf position. the plan is very well known in houston media.

19. jedicro

jedicro Member

I expect them to get a defensive PF/C through the draft or free agency to spell Yao while he's out and take minutes against bigger centers when Yao is back. Idealy though he'll just be a situatoinal player while Bosh gets most of the back up minutes at the 5.

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

unfortunately, .500 is good enough for an eastern team not to be a lottery team. raptors could be in playoff if bosh didn't get hurt.

let's look at rox, adding bosh definitely increase # under win column but adding bosh will also mean rox will lose some assets. stop dreaming a set of garbages can bring bosh here. the best scenario rox are a first round exit team, not much difference from raptors.

remember don't put yao in discussion. if you, a homie, have only 80% confidence not 100%, i doubt bosh has more than 50%, coin flip.

let's face it. houston won't be ONLY team on his wishing list if he DOES pick houston. The chance is not great as Jonathan Feigen pointed out.