1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns to wear "Los Suns" jerseys to convey opinion on new immigration law

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, May 4, 2010.

1. ApuN

ApuN Member

Give me a f***n break.

How the hell is a legal citizen going to "end up in jail"???

This is typical knee jerk B.S.

This law only effects people who have no legal status.

2. ApuN

ApuN Member

More stupid B.S.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Just the old ones showing up at the Tea Parties. Governerment needs to stop oppressing them and intruding on their lives but damn it don't touch their social security and medicare benefits. Bunch of whiners.

4. realmustang

realmustang Member

Stupid B.S.? Explain please why you think this is stupid b.s. You probably can't, can you?

5. Day

Day Member

so wait...
    you complain that the tea party people care about their lives but you support the protesters of this AZ law who care about their lives?

6. Carl Herrera

Yep.

People cmplaining about government getting too big while clutching onto their own entitlement program are just annoying.

Particularly when they b**** about "illegals" most of who are in fact working hard and contributing to the economy, not to mention sustaining the lifestyle of these SOBs.

#86 Carl Herrera, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  7. realmustang

realmustang Member

The only unlawful thing he would have to do is not come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Once pulled over, even if he provides a DL, the cop can use his accent as reasonable suspicion and detain him until his legal status is verified. A DL would not be enough to prove his legal status because there are still many illegal immigrants with valid DLs.

8. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

My family who lives halfway across the world can't come to the US without going through the entire legal process. Is it their fault they can't just cross a border to come over?

9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Can you point this out somewhere within the law? I have to say that it would be pretty incredible if Law Enforcement can detain a legal citizen based on their accent alone. I guess your saying the accent is reasonable suspicion of being an illegal?

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

So is it ok to sneak in to Suns games without paying?

11. realmustang

realmustang Member

Tell them to hitch a ride with the illegal Chinese immigrants.

12. realmustang

realmustang Member

Correct. The law states the a police officer MUST detain any person if there is reasonable suspicion that they may be in the country illegally after a lawful stop, such as a traffic violation. So if the police officer doesn't believe that he's a citizen because of his accent, he has the right to detain him.

13. Day

Day Member

I don't think you're right about that. I took the following text from the actual AZ law

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/summary/h.sb1070_05-04-10_asamendedbyhb2162.doc.htm
    How do you determine if a person is lawfully present?

14. Day

Day Member

Here is what the AZ law says about it:
    and

15. albuster

albuster Member

Way to go Suns!! I am still rooting for the Spurs though.

16. realmustang

realmustang Member

This is not totally correct. If a DL was all that was required, they wouldn't have made it illegal for Legal Residents to not have a Resident Alien card on them at all times. How are they going to enforce this part of the law if all that is required to verify your legal status is a DL. Plus it states that it has to be a valid AZ DL so if my dad was traveling through AZ, he could be detained.

17. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

Sorry, but we were taught to do things legally, even if it means that most of us are still in our native country.

18. realmustang

realmustang Member

So you're saying that a Mexican with a strong accent is not reasonable suspicion? I know a whole lot of Naturalized Citizens with heavy accents.

19. Carl Herrera

Cops will use random traffic stops or made up excuses to "lawfully" harass darker skinned folks. In fact, they probably already do.

20. Day

Day Member

I'm not entirely sure but I believe the last part of the valid IDs refers to other state issued DLs

regarding the rest of your post - Your interpretation is your interpretation. I'm just telling you what the AZ law actually says.