1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2010] What are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Crocodile Tears was great, popcorn fun. If you've read any of the Alex Rider novels, you know exactly what you're getting. Still it's always a fun ride, and the latest didn't disappoint.

I'm going to tackle the last 2 books of the Dresden Files next: Turn Coat and Changes. I kind of expect the same of these as the Alex Rider books. Harry Dresden takes on the world, cracks wise, gets his ass kicked, but eventually takes down all the bad guys. This series is great fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a note to all you Patrick Rothfuss fans. The sequel to The Name of the Wind finally got a release date. Unfortunately it's a year out. According to the author's blog, the book will drop March 1, 2011. I'm a bit frustrated by the delay, but I'll gladly wait if the finished product delivers. I just hope it doesn't take 4 years for the third book of the trilogy to hit bookshelves.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

fargo rock city - chuck klosterman

i think of thefreak when reading this.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Working my way through Crime and Punishment. I've never read it, and so far....wow.

4. ScriboErgoSum

Finished up the last 2 Dresden Files books last night. The 11th in the series (Turn Coat) played to the same Harry Dresden formula, although a major plot point got resolved...

Morgan getting killed surprised me a bit. I guess he was kind of a one dimensional character, but still a bit of a shock to see him offed.

The latest in the series, Changes, follows the usual playbook, but the title is pretty damn accurate. Even for Harry Dresden, he gets put through a pretty brutal meat grinder. A ton of recurring characters return, and a slew of plot threads resolve. Jim Butcher has said Changes marks the midpoint of the series (midpoint after 12 books :eek: ), and I can see what he means. Everything will change for Harry in the next book.

No office, no house, no Blue Beetle, Susan's dead, he's got a daughter, and he's the new Winter Knight. And, uh, he might be dead.

If you like the Dresden Files, you'll like these two books. If you felt the series was getting formulaic and predictable, well it's still formulaic but it takes some unexpected turns.

I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein. A co-worker has been bugging me to read this book for ages.

[​IMG]

5. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Looking forward to reading Changes.

Have you tried Butcher's sci fi series? It is complete now. The first book is

[​IMG]

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm reading Musicophilia right now. It's good, but it's not one of those that is really sucking me in. I think after reading Daemon and Freedom TM that I'm just in more of a mood to read a thriller. Any other good tech thrillers that someone can recommend?

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

8. ScriboErgoSum

I gave up on Stranger in a Strange Land. I know it's considered one of the greatest Sci Fi books ever written, it was a staple of the hippies, and even showed up as a lyric in Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire". It flat out bored me, and I felt like was slogging through a really tedious chore. I went to wikipedia to see how it ended, and I'm glad I took the rare option of not finishing a novel.

I'm supposed to read some Salinger for an upcoming Book Club, but I wanted something fast and exciting to cleanse my mind of the morass that was Stranger in a Strange Land.

So I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I already have the sequel and preordered the last book of the trilogy, which comes out May 25. I've heard nothing but rave things about this book, and 100 pages into it, I want to stay up all night tonight to finish it.

[​IMG]

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

If you are cool with subtitles, they have movies for all three books that are in Swedish. The first movie was very good but I didn't care for the second movie nearly as much.

I'm chomping at the bit for the last book to come out in English. It sucks that the dude died as I have read that he had planned and outlined through 10 books if I remember correctly.

Lisbeth is an awesome, awesome character.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i'm too lazy to make my way into town to watch the movie at river oaks. am dying for the next book to come out.

11. ScriboErgoSum

I'll probably watch them eventually, and I'm cool with subtitles.

I've had this book forever, but I've been holding off until The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest came out.

According to wikipedia:

It's a shame his entire creation will never be realized. Robert McCammon is only 3 books into his planned 10 book Matthew Corbett series, and I'm paranoid something will happen to him before he finishes.

After only a few scenes, I can see why Lisbeth is regarded as such an iconic character. Looking forward to reading into the wee hours of the night this evening.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

Angels and Demons

13. ScriboErgoSum

I hear that book has a sequel or two...

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Atlas Shrugged

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm reading The Last Centurion by John Ringo, at the recommendation of some of my libertarian friends. It's interesting science fiction, but the writing is awful. Reminds me of the reaction I had to Atlas Shrugged.

I'm also reading American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by John Meachem. Very good biography. Highly recommended.

16. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Shooting Stars - LBJ

17. Master Baiter

There are places where you can get them and watch them from the comfort of your computer...

So I've been told ;)

I'll definitely by them when they come out on Bluray.

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

It's already out on Bluray. Already saw all 3. The first one was great but the other 2 lost on the suspense. They are remaking it so you can also wait for that but the Swedish casts are pretty good.

19. Master Baiter

Not with English subtitles they aren't.

20. dback816

dback816 Member

Read DaVinci Code a few years back. Found a copy Angels and Demons at my cousin's, so I decided to borrow it.

Reading this too....very slowly.