1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns to wear "Los Suns" jerseys to convey opinion on new immigration law

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, May 4, 2010.

1. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

What do you guys make of this? I think it's the right thing to do, and it's good for NBA teams to be able to show their opinions too.

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I applaud the Suns organization for standing up for this ridiculous and bogus Immigration Bill.

John McCain can go to hell!

I'm not Latino, but I will support them because my mom and dad came to this country as immigrants.

3. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

We live in a world where sports is like a "fruit bowl" mixed with politics , entertainment, cultural aspects. I have no problem with this......

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have no problem with it because I think Arizona's new immigration law is pathetic. I imagine a lot of people in Arizona will be ticked off. But the Suns have great fans in Phoenix and I don't it will affect their popularity. Not all NBA franchises could afford to take a stand like this. The Suns know they can get away with it.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Wearing the jerseys wont change anything... I'm glad the Spurs aren't going after that stuff... just keep it simple and win the series.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it can't hurt.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is on board, and the team even tried to get their "Los Spurs" jerseys, though it was too late to do so.

7. elJEFEutexas

elJEFEutexas New Member

My childhood friend is a cop near h-town and they dont have time to mess with deporting illegals, they call em "no gottis" because none of them have identification and go under a million different names everytime they are PI/burglary/assault ect..

IMO the federal gov't screws up EVERYTHING but it should be Fed funded ICE taking care of deportation not local officials.

los suns sounds stupid anyway. why not change it all the way to sol?

8. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I'm an immigrant - my wife is an immigrant. LEGAL IMMIGRANTS. And when we came here, my uncle had to sponsor us and promise to support us if we ever needed welfare or anything - which we didn't.

And before you listen to Mexico complaining about how we treat illegal immigrants, check out how they and any other country treats illegal immigrants.

3 people like this.
  9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I like it. I will be walking right down the street in a large, peaceful protest of SB1070.

We will be marching from a local Baptist church with Al Sharpton to the capitol.

The Suns' efforts may not change anything, but at least it gives this racially-insensitive,idiotic bill more coverage.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think the Mavs went all the way a few seasons ago to "Las Chicas"

11. Day

Day Member

More power to the Suns... it is their right to do this and I think we should adopt Mexico's illegal immigration law.

I viewed from a site listed below
    http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/lillpop022707.htm

12. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

This is a load of bull. The only reason they are doing this is so they make people think they are against that law so people will not protest them and not go to their games.

In short: Wear jerseys-no protest, no money lose.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Being Devils Advocate
    QUESTION: Would you feel the same if they did something like this to be PRO-choice/ANTI abortion? Pro/Anti Weed? or some other Political statement, primarily one you did not agree with?

It is ok to support this. . . when you agree with the issue .. . what about when you don't?

I hear so many times people say .. THEY SHOULD SHUT UP AND PLAY BASKETBALL. . . when they say something that is felt to be 'ridiculous'. How is this different?

Rocket River

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

great point and I applaud you for that

+rep

15. Day

Day Member

I think the Federal Government should take a tougher stance on Illegal immigration but I don't want to oppress the right to free speech / expression.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Much respect to the Suns. I still can't believe that Arizona was able to pass this law in the year 2010.

17. Rame Tep

Rame Tep Member

You are so right!.. I mean how racially insensitive can they be, expecting people to actually be law-abiding citizens? Those Nazi a-holes, why can't they just look the other way when millions of undocumented workers flood into the country destroying the health care system, overcrowding our schools, and overloading our infrastructure? Those racist jerks, how dare they try and protect themselves from the drug wars spilling across the borders every day. Those pigs, I mean, I know there's only three races in the entire world... but just why can't "mexican" be a race? I am so sick of people like these Arizonans wanting to make their state a better place to live and not wanting to waste their hard earned tax dollars. I am so sick of all these idealist Americans who just want people of all skin colors and backgrounds to be of one mind, of one language, of one heart, and of one America. Death to Arizona - let's just nuke 'em!

2 people like this.
  18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well i think those examples are different...it's either youre for or against...in this case the law affects anyone, illegal or not, who they think appears illegal. Saying this law goes too far doesnt mean you're ok with illegal immigration

i don't think they're lying. Again, many people, who prefer legal immigration, are still against the law. It sure doesnt hurt business, but i don't think it would be difficult for a league, who has players from all over the world, to feel that racial profiling is a bad thing.

i think they did a survey or something. A while back it was more comon to just translate the names, but as of late more people are just using the english name. I thinkit may be common in other languages too since you'll hear them talk, won't understand a thing, except for "laker" or "rockets". We did it hear too by having a chivas usa team, instead of saying Goats or something.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

you missed the whole point...it's not about being pro or against it. It's about racial profiling. A perfectly legal citizen could end up in jail or held by authorities simply because he looked a certain way and forgot to carry his passport or something. In my opinion they'll only enforce it when they catch someone committing a crime and not by just picking out people off the street. That way they'll avoid lawsuits, bad publicity, and have an excuse to check their legal status.

20. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

My parents had to do the same thing. Most of my mom's family didn't even make it to the US.