1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Demarr Vs. Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jun 18, 2000.

1. vince

vince Member

Who's better now? Well of course Mobley, I can answer that one easily!!

Who has a better upside? Pure speculation, thus I have no clear answer there? Mobley is a pure scorer, not a real team player!!! Demarr by what I hear and little that I've seen looks to be a better team player. But Mobley is proven and can only get better, RIGHT?

Ideally if Demarr could become the SF I'd like to have him come to the Rockets. But unless his potential is vastly higher than that of Mobley, I say don't bother if it means losing Mobley.

Look most NBA stars average around 15 to 20 points. Super stars average from 18 to 30 points per game.

Mobley last year averaged 16 points per game and only showed a glimps of how good he will become.

Again, my position here is that if Demarr has a chance of becoming a SF I say draft him. If his game is only that of sg with no potential for sf then I say pass on the guy!!

But, I think he can become a good SF!!!!!

------------------

2. MManal

MManal Member

DerMarr Johnson does have the game and size to eventually become a SF for this team. He will need to add some bulk to his frame, though.

I definitely feel that Johnson should become a better player than Mobley. Ofcourse, the Rockets will still need to address their post situation if they draft Johnson, though.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think it would be a hard choice. If you had to choose right now, definitely go with Mobley as Demarr has no experience yet. But in a year or two I can see that swinging the other way.

Here's my problem. In an interview given by Francis in the August issue of Slam (see Cluth'c thread) Steve does mention the fact that Cuttino's staying is important to him as Cuttino is his left hand man. WHile Steve understands he might be forced to leave from a businnes aspect, the key to keeping superstars in my opinion is keeping them happy. With Cuttino signed to a long term deal, that will make it that much easier to resign Francis when its his turn.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I don't know why it's any of Cuttino's concern what happens on draft night when he resigns. I'm sure that CD and RudyT would convey to him to not even worry w/ what happens that night, that his playing time will not be affected.

------------------

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dermarr will be no immediate threat to Cuttino's PT. At most in his rookie year, Dermarr will get 20 MPG. And that's pushing it. We can pretty easily trade away Walt, and give his minutes to Dermarr.

Then in the future, we'll have 4 guys for the 1-2-3, add in one more "extra" and then we've got a championship caliber 1-3.....it's that 4-5 that is the hard part to get.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

6. Swift Turnaround

the way i see it.....if the rockets draft dermarr, and re-sign cuttino.....i think that would be enough.....it's apparent they've changed they're minds and they're gonna give cato another chance to develop (YES!!!) and kenny can do just enough at PF.....i say we trade walt and drew and the exception for a top ten pick in next year's MUCH DEEPER draft.....and pick up a power forward then.....if we can then next year re-sign anderson for more BUT a NON-starting contract, we would have a team like this....

Francis
    Mobley
    Dermarr
    PF which will be drafted with pick we get from trade od drew bryce and 4.5 mill (we'll also get some average player with that)
    and a MUCH improved Cato (2 years from now).....

I know it's a very long term plan but i see it happening and it would be great.....mobley's potential is great, francis will develop, cato will improve, and dermarr will be great, and the PF can share time with a much improved kenny thomas too.....

GREAT young team i think.........

7. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

If we traded Bryce Drew, Walt, and the exception, we'd have to take back roughly 10 million in salary. The exception can't be just traded for the sake of it, it has to be used to take on more salary.

Who in their right mind would trade a pick that could land a guy like Curry, Woods, Haywood, Chandler, Wagner, or Morris, for a marginal starting PG, and a mediocre SF? The Clippers?

------------------

8. Swift Turnaround

teams that are looking at free agents rather than the draft.....teams that need walt's experience.....possibly the clippers.....draft after draft, i think they'll finally figure out they need more FA signings rather than rookies......

9. alaskansnowman

I say we keep Mobley over Dermarr. That's cuz if we get Dermarr, and do NOT trade Walt, then I doubt Mobley will want to stick around. Dermarr will have an impact on mobley's minutes. Instead of Shandon and Walt eating Cat's minutes, we're gonna have Shadon, Walt, and Dermarr. And you have to give Dermarr a decent amount of PT becuz u want him to develop.

But in case we do choose Dermarr, and Cuttino leaves, it will definately be crappy for Francis, but Francis DID say that he likes Dermarr Johnson, and is lookin forward to seeing him in the NBA. This is becuz Dermarr is also from the DC area where Francis grew up.

So, the Rockets dont necessarily have to resign Mobley to please Francis, becuz Francis already feels a bond with Johnson...

I pretty much agree with what SwiftTurnaround said. Trade Walt, Draft Johnson, Resign Cuttino and let everyone improve.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

10. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

And you have to give Dermarr a decent amount of PT becuz u want him to develop.
    -alaskansnowman

Not true:
    -Kobe's rookie year, he got 15.5 MPG.
    -Rashard Lewis' rookie year had 7.6 MPG.
    -Maggette received 17.8 MPG this year.
    -Croshere had 9.2 and 9.3 MPG his first 2 years.
    -Larry Hughes got 19.8 MPG his rookie year.
    -Bender had 5.4 MPG this year.
    -Al Harrington got 7.6 MPG.
    -McGrady had 18.4 MPG.
    -Shawn Kemp got 13.8 MPG his rookie year.

All of them are future stars, or current stars. Dermarr came out as a freshman, he's still got a lot of time ahead of him, and truthfully, whoever drafts him, barring some strange immediate need, probably won't give him more than 20 MPG, 25 at the max.

------------------

11. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

with houston you never know. rudy t. has been known to give his rookies some major minutes.

ex.
    -sam cassell playing in crunch time of the nba finals
    -rookie starting backcourt with mobley and dickerson
    -starting kenny thomas last year

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

How many MPG did Francis play, what about Bird, or Magic, or Carter, or Jordan?

If he is good enough as a Rookie, he will play.

DaDakota

------------------

13. pakirocketfan

pakirocketfan Member

Rite now, Mobley is better than Johson. After all, Mobley has already proved himself. However, the Rockets should get a 4 rite now cuz they already have a decent 3 combo in the Wizard/ Anderson. We should solidify our weaknesses now.

------------------

14. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Mobley-Dickerson was necessity, Mobley's a SG, and he was forced to play point. What other legit guards did we have?

KT was not supposed to play these kind of minutes. Hakeem and Barkley went down.

Othella was the usual.

Francis is a supreme talent, and he was ready. His job also was supposed to only pass down low to Hakeem and Charles, and to have Pippen help him out, didn't happen did it?

Dermarr is only a freshman, his game is raw, he is not developed. I'd much rather bring him along slowly, work with him in practice, than throw him into the pot, hurting the team now, and hoping he can get better from it, and not burn out.

------------------

15. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

but i'm saying if the guy is ready rudy will not just let him sit their on the bench afraid that he might have a bad game and his confidence will be shattered, rudy will give him major minutes and let him learn from his mistakes unlike many other coaches.

16. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

given no other circumstances, yeah dice, but the point is that Rudy wouldn't unnecessarily do it at the detriment of the team and another player. Each of the other examples were required by injuries, lack of player at the spot.

------------------

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Francis only had 1 year of major college ball.

If the guy is good enough, he will play, and play BIG minutes.

DaDakota

------------------

18. Miggidy Markell

Why not just draft a PF? Walt is doing his job at the 3 spot shooting the ball good and so on. Walt I think is a great leader for the team did you notice that alot of the games where he was confident with the offense and his shooting he lead the team and we won alot of games doiong that. What we really need is a PF and if Rudy really does like Moiso then draft him.

------------------
    I'm tha hip hop attracta, rapper slash acta, right back at cha!

19. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Mobley will always be better than Dermarr. Drafting a PF in the second round is fine, but the Rockets shouldn't waste the #9. The Rocks already have their power forwards in KT, Los and Mass, why replace them.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

[This message has been edited by DEANBCURTIS (edited June 19, 2000).]

20. Swift Turnaround

ok, guys, about this mobley thing.....i seriously don't think it's gonna be a problem if we trade walt and draft dermarr....let's round the minutes in a game to 45.........so at PG francis and moochie have all the 45......now at SG and SF....ok, at SG mobley can get his 30 minutes.....Anderson will get his 15 minutes.....at SF, anderson will get another 15 minutes, and Dermarr can play there 30 minutes (SF)......which means, even if walt stays, he can get the 15 minutes at SF off the bench (coz we need him as a veteran), AND he can spend 5-10 minutes at the 4.....
    It's not that big an issue.....shandon won't mind losing a little, and walt won't mind coming off the bench......at Center we have Cato, hakeem, and ocassionally pig miller....at PF, as i said, SOMETIMES walt, then most of the time Los and KT.....i dunno where T-MASS fits in though.....maybe, if he's ok with it, he can come in for injuries to any of our PFs or Cs......we get a lot of that!!

one more thing, if we DO get dermarr, we can't sign shandon to a starting clause next year.....since we'll want dermarr at the 3, Cuttino at the 2, and Francis at 1......he''ll have to be our main bench player........

and i'm hoping we unload walt (salary jump), but we'll need one or two veterans, even if they're not that good, in return.....main concern right now is PF, SF, and veteran leadership.......Hakeem is just gonna be with us for one more year, and we shouldn't wait till the last minute to get a couple of veterans.......