1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which one: Francis, Iverson, or Marbury?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LiLStevie3, Jun 20, 2000.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Steve Francis, the rookie sensation on the Rockets seems to fit in with Iverson and Marbury as the new kind of NBA point guard even though Iverson plays SG. All of them are quick, close to 6 feet tall, have amazing athleticism, and have a killer crossover. Which one of these guys will become the better player in say 5 years? They are all under 25 years old. Which one would you rather have on your team? Stevie seems to be the least selfish of the 3 and has probably a higher vertical leap, but Iverson is probably a more gifted scorer and has a better crossover than the other two. Although, Iverson is probably the most selfish and has more of a tendency to take ill advised shots. Marbury is a great playmaker as well. If I were to choose, it would probably between Iverson and Francis. How about you guys?

2. 3pointer

3pointer Member

Barring any injuries I would venture to say that in 5 yrs from now Francis name will be amongst the elite names in the NBA not just at the guard position but overall.... he will kick some serious arse !!!!!

------------------
    "Why can't we just get along"...quote from a scientist in Half-life 2nd edition.

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Ditto 3pointer. Although at the pace Stevie is going he could be the top guard in fewer than 5.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

4. steve francis

steve francis Member

I wouldn't say that Iverson is a more gifted scorer than Francis. Remember that Iverson really hasn't had anyone else that was a decent scorer until Kukoc. Also, Iverson has shot a bad fg percentage most of his career. Francis could score like Iverson if he wanted to, but that has never been his goal. I think that Francis is the most athletically talented point guard in the league today, but only by a hair. Iverson and Marbury are almost as talented as Francis. But I think that he will be the best out of the three because of his drive, attitute, and environment.

------------------

5. alaskansnowman

That's a real good question, though I wouldnt really take into account who has the best killer cross. Francis has a realll wicked cross, and of course Iverson also does, and I'm POSITIVE that Marbury also has one. I mean, he's got all these other moves, and is almost a clone of Francis and Iverson, so why wouldn't he have a nice killer cross?

To me, it would come down to Marbury and Franchise. Iverson is just a totally different player becuz his main job is to score... he doesnt set up the offense, bring the ball upcourt, etc. I like Francis's attitude and work ethic. He doesnt complain, or get pissed when he's not in the game... he obey's the coach and is a very coachable person. But then again, Marbury is prolly just the same.

We talk of Francis's unselfishness, but Marbury started passing and creating for his teammates also... especially after Gill and Kittles came back from injury.

But there's no question that Francis is a better finisher... he can just jump over anybody. Marbury has a nice vertical also, but it cant compare to Francis's.

Well, I guess I'd just choose Franchise, but I'm not really sure becuz I havent seen Marbury play all too much, and I've seen Francis play nearly every game.

But both are gonna be easily in the top 3 point guards category.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited June 20, 2000).]

6. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

As i thought, most of you guys picked Stevie because like me, we are biased. In another 5 years I think Stevie will be the top PG in the league, but right now we all have to agree that the best at the PG position are Gary Payton and Jason Kidd. But in a few years, WATCH OUT, Stevie will take the league by storm, if he hasn't already.

7. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"But there's no question that Francis is a better finisher... he can just jump over anybody"

Being a good finisher doesn't necessarily mean dunking it over your man. Being automatic when you are at the cup is vital regardless of whether you flush it in or lay it up. But Francis is only an above average finisher at this point. He blew way too many layups that should have gone down. Marbury is a better finisher. Iverson is a better finisher. Stickland is a better finisher. And Payton is the best finisher of them all. But that doesn't mean little Stevie can't improve on that. But he's going to need a little time to tinker and improve on many facets of his game. He's a very good player right now. But he hasn't achieved greatness yet.

------------------

8. alaskansnowman

Iverson isnt a better finisher than Francis. Iverson is just small and always throws up these floaters when he gets close to the rim that dont really go in that much.
    But I'll change my mind about Marbury. I guess at this stage, Marbury's a better finisher... but soon Francis will overtake him. With Francis, you dont have to worry about him blowing layups too much becuz if he gets near the rim, he will JUST DUNK IT. With Marbury, etc... they have to make a layup, and sometimes with a shotblocker ready to swat them.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited June 21, 2000).]

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Even though he is a rookie, and IMHO yet to prove himself.

I would take Francis over both PigBury, and "I" verson.

I want team players, and Francis is more apt to excel on a team.

DaDakota

------------------

10. Primetime

Primetime Member

I think that the talent level between the three is very close, but Steve will emerge as the best. Marbury is the most selfish far and away. He had an excellent situation with Garnett, but opted for a situation where he could get 30 shots/game. Iverson has to learn to play better in the flow of the offense, instead of forcing shots. Steve just needs to shoot more! I don't think the other two have that problem.

Francis has better size and strength, a good coach, and a good head on his shoulders (or so it seems). I think he'll become THE elite point guard in basketball with a couple of more years of expeience under his belt.

Disclaimer: I am slightly biased in this matter.

11. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

With all this talk about Stevie being a rookie PG, you have to point out that when Stephon was a rookie he averaged 16 PPG and 7APG, he also helped lead the Timberwolves to the playoffs, of course he Garnett, but he still went to the playoffs. Iverson and Francis had better stats their rookie year, but they didn't make the playoffs(mostly because they didn't have another star like Garnett). Iverson had 23 PPG his rookie year and strung 3 or 4 straight 40+ point games. Sure Stevie doesn't shoot as much, but you have to give Iverson credit. I know Stevie could probably average 25+ PPG if he wanted to. So all three of these great young players were great their rookie year, so you can't just give Stevie credit. I am biased too, but give Iverson and Marbury a pat on the back for their great rookie years. I think Iverson won Rookie of the Year award too, just like Stevie.

12. pakirocketfan

pakirocketfan Member

I agree with Snowman.
    Iverson is not in the same category with Marbury and Franchise, since he is not a PG, does not look to setup teammates, and doesnot bring the ball up court. In pure quickness and raw athletic ability, Francis is the best, not only among those 3, but also in the league. Marbury has a better shot and he probably has more playmaking abilities, but he hs also been in the NBA for a lot longer than Francis. Iverson is a very talented scorer, but does not pass the ball. Out of the three, Iverson and Marbury have reached their peaks. Francis will develop the most in the future, and out of the three, I would pick Franchise.

------------------

13. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Rocketman, I already pointed out the part of Iverson being a SG but earlier in his career he played PG. They still have the same kind of body, and their games are really similar. But what yous said about Marbury and Iverson reaching their peaks are wrong. Noone ever reaches their peak, you alwasy have more to learn and have to gain more expierence. Iverson at 24 and Marbury at 23 are no means at their peak. Their is still plenty of room to improve for any player.

14. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

iverson's 24, marbury 23, and francis is 22 so it's not as if francis is that much younger then iverson and marbury.

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Of those three, Steve is going to be the best.

rite now

- Iverson is the best of the three.
    - Francis and Marbury are about neck and neck with each other

------------------
    No signature for you!

16. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Wow I actually got a response that says Iverson is the best, I expected everyone to say Stevie, since we are all biased.

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I never really liked Iverson at all, but he showed he is a true warrior during this years playoffs.
    The problem with both Iverson & Francis is how they will react when they have another star on the team (if it does indeed take 2 stars to win a championship) and how they react in a Big game (Championship type game). Yeah I know Francis played w/ CB & Dream but Francis played better after CB was injured and Dream just wasn't playing like a superstar this year.
    But if I had one pick today I would take Iverson, he stepped up big time in the playoffs with all his injuries!

------------------

18. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

What is absolutely tremendous about this topic is that we can honestly debate the merits of these 3 guys. We actually had a ROOKIE PG that can be mentioned in the same breath as Marbury and Iverson. With that said, I really like the attitude of Francis. He also has more tools than the others that will elevate him above them. He even rebounds!

------------------

19. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Okay, we've got a pretty good breakdown of the offensive side of the guards, but what about defense? IMHO Iverson is the best defender of the three followed distantly by Francis, then Marbury. I just feel AI shows a lot more fire on the defensive side of the floor than the other 2. Francis does have the "tools" to become a good defender, he just needs the motivation.

That being said, I still like Francis the best, because I feel that he is the most athletic and has the best attitude of the 3 . . . er . . . and maybe a little Rocket's bias [​IMG]

I also, have to reiterate B-Ball freak's point about how awesome it is to even get to speak Francis' name in the same sentence as other great PGs in only his 1st season [​IMG]

------------------