1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cause of Lowry's ankle problems???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SuperBeeKay, Mar 31, 2010.

1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-NBA-s-new-fashion-rage?urn=nba,231096

The NBA's new fashion rage

By Trey Kerby

Back in the olden days of the Internet — we're talking way back in 2006 — Gilbert Arenas(notes) was still bringing the ruckus. But back then, it was for good stuff, not gun stuff.

You see, back in '06, Arenas set the league on fire by wearing low-top shoes. They were kind of a big deal. He met with the press about his preference for low-tops, and he even unleashed a very Arenas-ian quote about the subject.

"I can only wear low tops because, in reality, all shoes are low tops. It you ever put on a pair of high-top shoes and you stick your finger in it, it won't get tight until the low part. So, high top is just for show."

Whatever you say, Gil. He was a lone short-shoed wolf in a forest full of high-topped trees. Excellent metaphor, Trey.

But then, two years later, Kobe Bryant(notes) debuted his low-top signature shoe, which supposedly allowed him greater range of motion. Now, everyone is wearing lows, throwing ankle caution to the wind.

Here's a list of players who have at some point this season worn low-top shoes. I'm sure it's not complete because these guys change shoes like Dennis Rodman changed hair colors. However, you'll notice that this is a pretty big group of players, and quite a few big names. That's a lot of valuable ankle tendons.

Steve Nash(notes)
    Kobe Bryant
    Rajon Rondo(notes)
    Lamar Odom(notes)
    DeMar DeRozan(notes)
    Mo Williams(notes)
    Nate Robinson(notes)
    Mike Miller(notes)
    Rodrigue Beaubois(notes)
    J.R. Smith(notes)
    Al Harrington(notes)
    Kyle Lowry(notes)
    Derek Fisher(notes)
    Channing Frye(notes)
    Tyson Chandler(notes)
    Shannon Brown(notes)
    Aaron Brooks(notes)
    Nick Young(notes)
    Chris Duhon(notes)
    Will Bynum(notes)
    Andre Iguodala(notes)
    DJ Mbenga(notes)
    Ronny Turiaf(notes)
    C.J. Watson(notes)
    Mickael Pietrus(notes)
    Kirk Hinrich(notes)
    Russell Westbrook(notes)

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I wear the Kobe V's, and they are extremely light, very comfortable, and provide plenty of stability.

I severely sprained my ankle last year wearing the high-top Hyperdunks. The style of shoe you wear doesn't make a noticeable difference. If you're a post player who's prone to tangle in the paint, I'd definitely opt for high-tops, but low-tops are ideal for a slashing wing or perimeter player.

3. gotsis

gotsis Member

out of this list how many have had ankle problems this season?

I bet not many...

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Don't players still get their ankles taped?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've always felt that '3/4' low-top shoes provided the best support for my ankle - full high tops just seem heavy IMO.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

For some reason some don't. I think I remember Bill saying that Lowry doesn't get tapped.. Clyde said he himself didn't stretch or get taped when he was playing which boggles the mind.

I love getting taped that added sense of security does wonders for my self assurance.

7. Mr. Space City

kobe gets his ankles taped even tho he wears lowtops.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]
    POS high tops didn't do jack for my feet! :)

I've never sprained my ankle or anything, but I've come mighty close several times. I usually wear this for good measure...
    [​IMG]

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

tie them tighter? dumbass

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

look at the comments where one poster talks about how this saves the knee....that's true....taping the ankle, basically immobilizing it, not only weakens the ankle itself by giving it a crutch, but it stiffens it up AND causes the knee to have to move more, therefore increasing the chance of knee injuries.

My guess there is a connection, but not what many think. He probably always taped his ankles and used high tops and therefore lacked true ankle stability (stability while not taped), when he switched to low tops, his ankles may not have been ready for the change.

Either that or it was just a freak injury and this is just a coincidence.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Also, don't be surprised to see more and more low top shoes. Once shoe companies determined bulky and heavily padded shoes gave crutches to the arches on your feet, therefore weakening them and also lowered the amount of muscles used, they started making shoes like the Nike Free, which allow the sole of the shoe to move/bend more like a foot. Same thing is happening with hight tops and ankles.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I've always worn low tops on the court. Defensive backs in football twist and turn and cut as much as anyone, and they dont have high tops. Though its grass, the DB position wouldnt even exist without forceful change of direction. I applied that approach on the basketball court and always went with low to 3/4 shoes.

Of course running shoes and skater shoes are terrible footwear for basketball.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I feel much more secure in high tops, but I've turned my ankles with both high and low tops several times. It doesn't really matter which kind you wear. Crash the boards and you're going to land on someone's foot eventually.

14. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

Actually if you tie them tighter i've found that it hurts more when you sprain it cuz your foot has no room to slide and minimize the sprain

15. devilsdandruff

duh. it's fabric. doesn't give good ankle support.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What a bunch of quacks you people are, the true cause of Lowry's ankle problem is

[​IMG]

17. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

The Nike free trainer one is an awesome shoe.