1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So What's Up With Kevin Martin Scoring "Quietly?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by llRainmanll, Mar 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

that's what i'm sayin!

2. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

that might actually be it!

3. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

Well, i figure that if you didn't care then you wouldn't of posted in my thread, secondly, if you can't understand: "is it necessarily a bad thing for him to be a quiet scorer or is it more of a good thing?".....then idk what to tell you, though i'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, if it wasn't, just say it was lol.... :p

4. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

:confused:

5. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I could not disagree more. Why do you think Martin's perenially a top 5 guy in fta's? Seriously.

6. jpchou

jpchou Member

This team needs a leader, a pit bull, someone with killer instincts. Basketball isn't just about stats and points. It's mental and psychological. You want to instill fear in your opponents. A quiet scorer doesn't do that.

That said KMart is a great scorer. He's a star - just not a super star.

7. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Kevin 'The Silencer' Martin

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

First, keep in mind i said i meant one on one as in able to score on guys with the dribble or one on one moves and consistently. TEchnically you can argue a lot of what MArtin does is "one on one", like his spin move and ability to pump fake and draw a foul....i give him credit for that, but that doesnt translate to him being a good one on one player overall or that playing one on one is his specialty.

You dont need to be a great one on one player to draw fouls. Battier draws fouls pretty much every time he decides to drive the ball and he's horrible in one on one situations. The key is to pick your spots and know when the defender has positioned himself at a disadvantage and use that against him. It's not like Martin just bamboozles players with his moves and they have no option, bur to foul him to prevent the score. Martin directly draws most fouls by positiioning himself in their way, not that i'm complaining because that's just being smart, but it doesnt mean he does it mostly with his one on one moves.

It's one thing to break a guy down off the dribble like Brooks and then attack. That's not really what Martin does. He's more likely to come off a pick or just make a nice cut, catch a pass and then attack.

9. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Ok, I get your point. I have wondered about how successful Martin would be drawing fouls deep into the playoffs.

But I disagree about Brooks even though he makes spectacular shots inside. But late in games when he penetrates, refs look at him as if to say "you shouldn't have done that" no matter how mush contact he draws.

Now, if you're talking about beating your man and stopping and popping, KM is better than Brooks by light-years. Martin's career didn't begin 6 weeks ago.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Martin doesn't just draw fouls by using a pump fake. He has a very quick first step and once he gets his shoulders past his defender he is very good at leaning into the defender and drawing the foul. The fact that he gets fouled before he gets to the basket doesn't change anything. D. Wade is very similar in that he drives, creates contact and shoots alot of free throws.

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

K.Mart is a 'quiet scorer' because rarely does he take the ball at the perimeter, get into triple threat position, and make a move on defender/ break down the D. His scoring style is the exact opposite of T-mac's.

He scores off set shots, off curls and screens, makes layups off cuts and backdoor cuts, and in general takes what the defense leaves exposed.

I've notice against tougher and stronger defenders, he can't take them off the dribble because of he is kind of weak and skinny. Hence his only way of scoring when the game is close and the defenses are tight is off open looks generated by his teammates. So Kevin martin can't be a go-to guy in the traditional sense, but we sure as hell can draw up plays for him to get open shots or drives to the basket for clutch situations, since he finishes quite well if he gets past his defender.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

really i was just discussing one on one moves, just the act of getting by your defender, not so much how what you do after that. I agree brooks has trouble going inside though. I've been hoping he'd learn to draw fouls, but nothing yet.

The stop and pop can be done a few ways, so i wouldnt give martin the edge completely. He does it well within the flow of the offense and with rythm, but i think brooks has the edge when it comes to isolation plays.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I didnt mean to imply he only pump fakes. It was just an example i was giving of "one on one" moves on the perimeter used to get by or score on his man.