1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need you Doc Roc and oielpee (sp)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Miggidy Markell, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I REALLY don't get the aversion to the cryptic posts. I think they're a blast. I don't need to know why (i.e. protecting Doc's identity or whatever) they're cryptic. I like them without explanation. Some of the biggest fun on this board is trying to decipher them.

And I really don't think of Doc's or popeye's posts as ego driven. I think of them as a gift to the vast majority of us here, who enjoy insider info and insider teasers.

I also don't think there is a "right" way to deal with inside info as long as sharing it, cryptically or not, doesn't quash a deal the Rockets are working on. I think things are perfect the way they are. Doc's, popeye's and Clutch's styles are unique and well balanced. I like the way they each have their own idea of what's okay to share and how it's okay to share it. And I like the fact that they respect each others' take on that issue. I like that when popeye felt he'd gone too far, he pulled back and served a sort of penance, even though I thought he was too hard on himself. All three of these guys are big Rocket fans. All three of them take the responsibility that comes with having inside info seriously. And all three of them contribute substantively to this board.

The only reason that I can imagine to dislike their (very rare) posts is jealousy. If it's the style of their posts that bothers you, I can think of thirty regular posters whose styles are more grating. The difference is that these three almost never post unless they have something good for us, while other posters clutter up the board with "Player X Sucks!" threads or outrageous trade scenarios.

Don't kill the messenger just cause you don't like his outfit.

More pops, more Doc, more Clutch. Less poison pills for our gift horses.

And thanks for the tip on one of our PF's being gone by January. I'm surprised a hundred people haven't shown up to say how easily they could have predicted the same thing. Reminds me of all those people that used to bash Jackson Pollack.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Does Holden strike you as the jealous type.

:(

Many are not jealous, and some are. Thing is, this is the realm of my insider info. Do you want a cryptic post or the straight dope??

3. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Amen Batman!

OK HP, I'm so sick of your b!itchy, whiny, impatient, stubborn a$$...just DON'T read the posts that you don't like, its that simple!

Based on your recent postings, you probably chose the ladder? Quit being so jealous and chill out...

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As Doc said about his insider info,

"You simply have no idea and I really don't care."

and as Popeye said,

"I am going to stop posting, and if anyone what's to know the insider scoops about the soap opera of this bbs, maybe I'll just start an email group."

5. Batman Jones

ChenZen,

I wasn't referring to HP. After all these posts, I still don't even know what his take is. He's kind of cryptic.

HP,

I hope you don't stop posting. If you do, I hope you'll add me to your email group. I really don't think you can stay away though. Which pleases me.

As for your other question, I'd rather have the straight dope. But I'll take it however I can get it. If it's cryptic vs. no info at all, I'll take it cryptic. And, again, I enjoy working the riddles.

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

rotflmao!

If you didn't write intelligent things in the hangout, I'd accuse you of being Smeggy. :eek:

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

he shoots he scores

ROTFLMAO!!!!!:p

8. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I remember seeing Jonathan Richman a few years back, and someone in the audience shouted a request for one of his old Modern Lovers songs.

Now, in his songs, Jonathan cultivates the image of being a sweet, sensitive, self-deprecating soul -- but the real guy has a prickly side to his personality. Especially when it comes to someone else telling him what to do musically.

So he usually ignores requests on principle ... but in this case (whether this request was particularly loud, hit a personal nerve, or was just the straw that broke the camel's back, I don't know) he looked out at the guy and said, "I'll tell you what. When I come to see your show, you can play the songs that you want to hear."

That's how I feel about Doc Rocket and oeilpere. It's their information; they can post it however they want, be it bluntly, cryptically, or in Sanskrit.

9. haven

haven Member

So, I suppose a "who is doc rocket" thread is out of the question ;).

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dr. Strangelove said it best, haven. ;)

Sometimes the search for worth and humor is difficult here, HP. Persevere. It's a seasonal insanity. (or lack of a season might be more accurate) This crap will pass.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think we may be swingin a three-way with GS and LAC for Odom and Sura. I remember last year,we almost traded Walt for Sura. At first I thought the home address may mean we were trading someone to a hometown, but I dont know much about Tupac, so I guess I'll go with you guys on that. KT and MoT for Odom, Sura, Filler? When he said KT and MoT shake em up, I thought oh no, that means we will trade Eddie and have to decide how we will "shake up" MoT and KT. I now think we will move KT and MoT for Odom, Sura, and Filler. I guess we think Boki can play PF, and we wanna give TRock some time at PF too....:confused:

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

well I feel all edumicated now....

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Wow! HeyPee knows Dr Strangelove?? :D:p

I need a time machine so I can just bypass this part of the season(or non-season) Come on November !!

14. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Batman Jones, I don't know why you didn't post more back then (I only recall seeing you posting regularly in the last couple of months), but you have become one of my favorite posters. Keep posting brother and keep it straight like you often has. :)

I really don't know what the big deal is about how Doc or OP/Pops like to post their inside info. It's like music on radio, you don't like the sound, just tune to another station. I personally like their different approaches of delivering info.

sirhangover, what was your point of bringing up the Popeye turned OP deal?

15. Batman Jones

Moonbus: Thanks.

Swopa: Couldn't have said it better.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A little too kwazy.

Based on what Doc is saying, my conclusion is that Mo/KT will be gone by January, because the Rox aren't sure which one will be gone now. There are simply WAY too many variables, especially up front, to decide right now. How will Ming fit in? Would it be better to have a a spot up shooting PF and keep Ming closer to the basket, or more of a slasher. How does Eddie play with Mo-remember, based on what we've heard, and what some have seen, Eddie is playing differently than he played during the season-he's never played any games with Mo, and the way he and KT play could be completely different. Not to mention questions of the guards, injuries, Cato, and possibly a free agent (like Lewis).

17. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

It still does not make since keeping KT, with our current rooster situation.

If we are going to showboat KT/MT before the trading deadline, exactly how will they be showcased with limited minutes? If the Rockets do kill ISO plays next year, then that will take a big bite out of KT stats.

If Cato has dramatically improved (as mentioned in another thread), then its probably safe to say that Cato & Ming will get most the center minutes (with Collier garbage time). Then at SF we have Rice, Nachbar, TM, OT & some Mobley during 3 guard lineups. Since KT showed that he cannot handle SF (nor Griffin) duties last year, where exactly will we showboat KT's talents?

PF?

This brings us back to KT/MT/Griffin sharging PF duties. So unless we are going to cut Griffin back to garbage time, how can we justify enought minutes to showcase either player before the trading deadline? Griffin is the best rebounder and blocker on the team, so please no more talk of him being a perimiter SF, taking him away from where he thrives (defensively) will hurt us in the long run.

18. Batman Jones

We are basically agreed, barbourdog. But when it comes to our Houston Rockets, never underestimate the opportunity injuries afford.

Regardless of unforeseen improvement on the part of Cato or unforeseen readiness on the part of Yao, neither of them will play huge minutes in the first half of the season. Collier's a non-factor unless we have several serious injuries. So there's spot duty to be had at the five. Depending on matchups, either EG or KT CAN play 3. It's not a good long term solution, but neither was KT at the five and he's logged many minutes there.

I personally like the idea of giving our five big men almost equal minutes (at the 4 and 5), since they're all capable of playing either big position, and since Cato and Yao (at least early on) will be prone to foul trouble. If you figure you've got an extra guy to give substantial minutes to (at least the first half of the season), it allows our big guys to play aggressively, without fear of fouling. I like this as a solution to bringing Yao along slowly and keeping everyone involved until it is more advantageous to make a move. 96 minutes divided five ways is almost 20 minutes each. Give or take five minutes in any direction. 15 minutes is a decent amount of time to showcase talent for the eventual odd man out.

19. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

Re: the Tupac and "home address" thing

Tupac was born in Brooklyn. It may mean something, it may not.

20. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

ChenZen, you need to to chill and have a glass a tea man.

About the Doc Rocket issue. Its like this to me: Clutch gets inside info from certain persons within the Rockets organization. Now
    Clutch cannot give out this information to us directly so he cleverly creates an alias by the name of Doc Rocket. Then either he or Kagey get into character and become the spazz known as Doc Rocket and feed you as many bits and pieces of inside information as they can.

Its a clever idea and its fun for everybody. But once the season starts, like my good man heypartner, Id much rather talk basketball.