1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] China Fans Ask, Will Yao Ming's Baby Be American?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devilsdandruff, Mar 3, 2010.

1. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

LMAO.. why do AP freaking care what some random chinese fans said online?
    Would they care what basso said on D&D and report something like "American citizens online have said......" or something like that? :rolleyes:

2. MykTek

MykTek Member

knowing how Yao feels about china, he's very proud of his country, he will probably fly back and have the baby born in China.

Yao came out and said in another article, it was in another thread, that he wants two kids and that the restriction on him was 2 and not the normal 1.

I know it would probably be better for the kid if she had dual citizenship, but Yao has alot of nationalism(is that the word? when your very proud about your country) so I bet she is born in China.

3. legendcx

legendcx Member

4. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Hopefully the kid is just normal. Being a really tall girl, and having the expectations of being a star basketball player would seem to be a lot of pressure. I mean if you could read the mind of a child and truly know if basketball is what she wants then cool. But nothing wrong in just being normal sometimes.
    ........But then again, how normal can you be in China when your dad is Yao Ming. ;)

5. tracymingreedy

tracymingreedy Contributing Member

Think about this. If Kobe or Lebron married an American girl, but somehow they decided to deliver their expected baby in China and they know that that will give the Chinese citizenship to the baby.

6. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

7. bloop

bloop Member

[QUOTEl]That's like saying the media should leave Tiger alone. Never gonna happen. Ever. When you're a national icon in China like Yao is, your business is China's business... and unfortunately, your child is China's child as far as they're concerned.

I'd be surprised if their kid is born American, though. Yao is such a huge thing in China and I think there's a lot of pride for his country there, too.[/QUOTE]
    uhm no.

when it happens in the US it's legit news.

when it happens in China it's "hey China, mind your own damn business."

please learn the rules of political correct moral equivalence.

8th grade civics indicates that a child is American if he is born on American soil or has an American parent. I was also taught from the Constitution that such a child meets the requirement of a "Natural Born Citizen" (as opposed to "naturalized citizens") but right wing crazies have **** all over that idea the past 2 years so I guess ppl might be out there disputing that someone born in the US is a citizen if such a person were the child of Chinese nationals.

Uh, no that would make her a citizen of the US, since China would not recognize her citizenship. She'd have to renounce her US citizenship to get a Chinese passport.

My guess is that more than a political statement, IF Yao and his wife choose to have his children in the US it's more a practical decision based on the fact that most of his immediate future will be spent playing ball in the US and the fact that his giant daughter might have an easier time being a normal kid in the US. Again not some offhand moralistic statement on Chinese society but the simple fact that Yao is a star of r****dedly epic proportions over there. I read that Wang also had a kid born in the US while he played in the NBA? Maybe one of our friends of China know if that's true.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

They can still claim U.S. citizenship if they want to. Also, didn't Kaman play on the German national team and aren't there a Russian player who's American? It happens. Still, if I was the kid, I'll probably wait till I'm 18 and then see which country offer me the best opportunity and go with that one, gotta make sure her Chinese is up to par though ;)

9. yorkyufan

yorkyufan Member

I guess the reporter from AP had nothing to report and picked up some comments made by who knows they are maybe a few 10 years old boys. I don't think the majority of Chinese fans have concern over this.

A good example is Jenny Lang, a star striker on Chinese women volleyball team in 1980s who won the first ever world title for China in one of the three "bigger ball" sports (volleyball, basketball, soccer). And she led the team to win five consecutive world titles in 1980s. Jenny was the national hero back then and was even a bigger star than Yao is today. After she retired from the national team she pursued her caree as coach oversea. In 2008 Beijing Olympic she was the head coach of the underdog, the US women volleyball team. Her team surprisingly beat China and eventually took the silver while China only got the bronze. Even that nobody was upset about her being the US coach and called her traitor or anything like that.

btw, Jenny's daughter, who was on US Girl's Youth National Volleyball team, is just admitted by Standford. And most likely she will join the US national team eventually. Nobody in China say anything about it.

So Yao will be fine.

10. SergioValencia

Glad someone has the brains to recognize this fact. All you other idiots here refuse to view these issues thru the eyes of the other side. How are the Chinese who gossip about Yao and his family life any different from all you soccer moms and golf fans who want the latest on Tiger's marriage? What is Access Hollywood--the celeb gossip TV show--all about? How about the countless entertainment industry magazines out there ready to dish out the latest on Lindsay Lohan and Tom Cruise?

Let's stop being so critical of people from other countries just because they are different. It's the reason the whole world hates us. Take a step back and think if you and I would've done the same in their shoes.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yeah the hammer. Man that was an awesome olympics.

Does anyone know when the baby is due? If it is during the season the baby will be born here. That kinda sucks, I bet Yao would prefer her to be born in China.

12. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

I hope Yao has a boy who can be just as good if not better to play in the NBA. as much as I like yao, I probably wouldnt watch his daughter in the wnba.

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

So you think all Chinese people hold the same opinion because you have read what one (or a few) random people said on the internet?

Are you also one of the fools who think all women are sluts after they watched a few sluts on the Jerry Springer show?

14. Bandwagoner

all women are sluts. bad analogy.

15. RocketForever

And all women are terrible drivers too?

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just hope Yao doesn't name her Tracie.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I like this...

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

clutch... create Chinesefans.net for April this year! :grin:

19. Bandwagoner

No. When a chinese is in NASCAR, let me know.

I hope you know I am joking btw.

you are going to be posting ca2009 Chron articles in 2015 about how much TMAC sucked huh?

20. RocketForever

And I hope you know I am also joking when I am replying to your reply, btw.