1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Review of the Rockets Bench: post your own.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tomjc, Mar 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. tomjc

tomjc Member

Temple: somewhat of a fan favorite but I just can't see him cracking the rotation (similar to Courtney Lee), a bit too small to play the 3 and questionable ballhandling skills and shot at the 2. Scrub.

Jared Jefferies: the fact that he's played in the NBA for 9 years is a SHOCK to me. An overrated defender, can't pass, can't shoot. Why this guy isn't sitting on the bench should invoke an a full fledged investigation. Should stick to carrying bags and picking up donuts.

Jermaine Taylor: like Temple, does not look like a fluid player possibly due to the lack of time getting used to the system. like Temple, a dime a dozen. Would not crack many playoff teams rotations.

David Andersen: I would play him at PF if I was coach. would expect him as our 2nd backup and would play Armstrong over Andersen at this point. In fact, I wouldn't mind it if we got rid of both. On a higher note, may be able to hit an open 3 against a below .500 team.

Jordan Hill: Why this guy isn't getting more pt over Jared Jefferies is an unsolved mystery. Has active hands, good size, could potentially turn into a Landry-type player but taller. Needs to hit jump shot more consistently.

Hilton Armstrong: A role player, would play him over Andersen, more athletic, needs to go full fledge on the leg press to block out opponents.

2. devilsdandruff

i rather play Andersen than Armstrong.
    dude is worthless.

3. fayesun

fayesun Member

that makes me miss Cook

4. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Are u talking about this game only? BC if your talking about our usual bench your missing Lowry, Bud, *Battier. I just don't know if I can take your assessment seriously when you say we should play Hilton Armstrong, I know your not high on Andersen but Armstrong, really? The only thing that guy has proved is he is a prolific fouler.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

You do realize that Temple is a combo guard, not a wing, right?

6. rockets4life!

rockets4life! Member

No clue why u even made this thread lol all u did was bash them. Not one positive about any of them!

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Armstrong is horrible. I didn't think anybody could be a worse rebounder at 7 ft than Andersen. Armstrong has proven me wrong.

8. tomjc

tomjc Member

Lowry/ Budinger/Battier can be starters on any day on this team. Yes, I am serious on Hilton Armstrong, he can be a solid defensive presence if he works on the lower body and gets worked on a bit. Still a project but David Andersen isn't gonna get better then what you see now.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Andersen can shoot 2 out of 10 games, but cant play defence 10 out of 10 games

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Lowry and Battier could start o this team! CBud is a Career 6th man! A good one though!

11. Convictedstupid

I stopped reading after your analysis of Temple.

He's playing back up PG right now brah.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Armstrong and Hill are atrocious on defense. It's like there hasn't been a single coach who ever told them to move their legs before.

13. 2cool4school

2cool4school Member

We must be watching on two different TVs, because I think Anderson is improving. He isn't lighting the world on fire and his defense is questionable but he provides a whole hell of a lot more than Armstrong. Armstrong needs to find a cozy spot on the bench and stay there till his contract runs up. I love seeing a big man have a stroke like his. He still needs to learn the NBA game, but from the beginning of the season to now, he has made great strides. I feel he is a respectable backup 5.

Temple is a hard decision. I like his game but he will be lucky to be a backup in this league. I think that's ok, not everyone can be a superstar. When given the time to square up, he is capable of knocking down his shot.

Hill was impressive and vanilla in this game. His getting after the boards impressed me, as well as his midrange shot. He still has alot of potential, but I don't see where he deserves all of this playing time yet that alot seem to be asking for.

Jeffries is good for off the bench. He can handle the ball and is better than an "overated def player", IMO. To each their own with what kind of player people thinks he is. He's shown he won't earn his contract, but deserves some playing time every game.

I really liked Taylor's athleticism and potential. He is still definitely a project, but he shouldn't be in the D league long. He won't be a superstar, but he can create his own shot and change direction on a dime. I liked what I saw for the most part.

I'm not knocking anyone's assessment, but that's my pocket change.

14. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

When healthy, their all back-ups. Armstrong's is terrible. You can't work on his lower body, its genetics, bro. If everyone with slender figures could just "work on their lower bodies" then we could make. Kevin Martin, Lebron.

BTW, Temple is a point guard. I don't know where the small toward talk came from.

Overall I would rate your analysis of this team right up there with something Jalen Rose would come up with.

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Chase: Athletic guard that seems to be a system player. Even though he has many different skills, he seems limited depending on the players out there. Lowry is his better half.

Lowry: Tank. Beast. Heart on the bench. Love the kid.

J. Taylor: I like him a lot. He has some things that you can not teach (Ability to get to the rim AND finish). He seems like he has been handling his role very well and is willing to learn. Much like Chase, his weakness is his D and much like Chase, he couldn't be playing behind a better mastermind in Battier. The things he really needs to improve on also only takes a season or two to work on; so, watch out for him on another team if we do not get around to playing him more minutes.

Armstrong: At least he has 6 fouls like everyone else.

J. Hill: I do not see him being a Landry kind of guy. I think that he will be a good player and I am really excited about his potential, but please don't talk about Landry in the same breath yet unless if you're talking about the trade itself. I think that next to Yao, he will have a good quality game and a chance to develop his own in the same process.

JJ: Overrated defender. He defends well, but let's not get hyped up about putting him on "1-4" positions. He has his limitations and his defense is not good enough to make up for his lack of offense like I was hoping. I need to give him a chance though.

Andersen: Low-cost experiment that is going to work very well (considering the price) next year when we REALLY want to open up the floor with Yao, Brooks, Martin, Ariza/Battier. I see this year as an opportunity for him to get used to the game before we use his hieght/shooting ability.

Temple: I liked him at first, then saw that he couldn't handle full-court pressure and didn't like him. I like him again though. He is a really tall point guard that can be a really great cushion for us if someone gets injured. He is not afraid to get in there and play with some heart.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fbGkxcY7YFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fbGkxcY7YFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

^^^

Whoops. I meant to post the other vid of this guy.

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Screw that! Temple deserves to stick with an NBA team if he doesn't get picked up by the Rockets for the rest of the season! Love his huffort and intesity on both ends!

19. FariyadTheKing

i think out of all this is the fact you stated ARMSTRONG should play over ANDERSON...can i ask you a question? did you watch the game last night against TORONTO? Did you notice at the end when ARMSTRONG got in what he did? if you didn't go look at his stats line....he was worthless...garbage...just straight TERRIBLE!

20. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

4 attempts, 3 of which were blocked. Like you, I'll keep Anderson if everybody doesn't mind.