1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Thinking Like Morey] Kevin Martin, Kyle Lowry, and the Value of Fouls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown57, Feb 21, 2010.

1. echu888

echu888 Member

Once you're in the bonus, do you get free throws for drawn charges? That could still have an effect on the point total beyond the "extra" possession factor.

2. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Nope, no free throws. Here's the rule:
    That being said, taking charges is still awesome because it does "create" possessions, and that's a really big deal. I don't have the numbers for this right now (again, I should dig them up and give this its own thread), but the team that has the most possessions is more likely to win (duh). So charges, like offensive rebounds and forced turnovers, are valuable.

The rockets average 93.5 possessions per game and score 101.1 pts. That's 1.08 points/posession. So, each time Chuck Hayes draws a charge, thereby creating a possession/negating an opponent possession, that nets the Rockets an extra point or so. Useful stuff.

Again, this is common knowledge (taking charges = good, duh), but i find the numbers behind it interesting.

3. nebula955

nebula955 Member

Great! Except now that Kevin plays for the rockets he just not get as many fouls...

4. dschwab

dschwab Contributing Member

One of the best posts since " [Statistical Analysis] Big games according to Luis Scola "

Nicely done.

1 person likes this.
  5. towW

towW Member

One negative: If refs aren't call fouls for the Rockets they aren't shooting FTs a la hack-a-Yao. It's even more successful on Yao than it is on Shaq because they never call them.

6. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

Like who???

7. canton1022

canton1022 New Member

Hey guys I looked for a thread to post this but I couldnt find one. But I was looking at the Kings forum sactown royalty on yahoo and these people posted a thread about letting landry go because they think he cant play defense. I personally think Landry was good enough on D and I was wondering if you guys think Morey could resign Landry? Or is that a long shot?

8. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Do you watch the games?

As for your only "argument": shotblockers get dunked on. It happens. If you don't get "posterized", you aren't trying. Dikembe knew this.

The main difference between this year's mediocre defensive team and the past 4 years' GREAT defensive team is Yao. He changes shots and turns back drives.

Yao does have some defensive deficiencies (closing out on jump-shooting bigs, for example), but by and large, he is a high-impact defensive player.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Let's trade for Maggette and Bosh and run out a starting unit of:

Lowry
    Martin
    Maggette
    Yao
    Bosh

Think they would get in the bonus early?

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The All Foul-drawing team:

Lowry
    Martin
    Wade
    LeBron
    Yao

6th man: Maggette

That's a little undersized. But that team would last about 4 hours each game.

11. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

What an excellent thread. Nice job quantifying what we know is true and explaining it clearly. Makes me even more excited about the team getting Martin, and about getting Yao and Lowry back on the floor. Question: Where do the often-mentioned offseason sign-and-trade targets, Bosh and Stoudemire, rank in this regard?

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Let's remember Lowry is going against backup point guards. Down the stretch in the playoffs, ref's swallow their whistles and good teams will force Lowry to take that 40% jump shot and trust it is a lot more difficult in the playoffs. So wake up and hope that AB learns to draw fouls from watching Lowry, because we all trust AB to take jumpers than Lowry.

13. hotdamn

hotdamn Member

Great analysis, add the fact that we have Battier and Hayes drawing charges as well...more Free throws for us and more foul trouble for them!!!!! :cool:

14. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

This is all dependent on whether or not we are getting calls, and I think we all know Stern and his goons (Tony Brothers, Joey Crawford etc.) are all biased against Houston.

15. Mcgrady4ever

Mcgrady4ever Member

very good post!!
    But no one would like to watch free throws for the whole game :rolleyes:

16. MONON

MONON Member

If you're winning 70% of those games, you won't notice the extra length. It's like a bad 2 hour movie goes on forever, while a good 3 hour movie is over before you know it.

17. httx713

httx713 Member

I love your charts and comparisons BUT on tiny little shrivel small puny molecule detail; The NBA does not want the Rockets getting to the line ie. Yao, Hakeem, Clyde, Charles, Francis memba' them They never got to the line because the NBA has always refereed the ROCKETS stars differently.. go back to the head to head games played against UTAH, SPURS, MAVS, SUNS, LAKERS and when they played the FINALS,, didn't David Stern and the rest of the league wanted the Knicks to win it all and a young Shaq the bigger star in comparison to Hakeem to be crowned champs... So your charts and numbers look wonderful and I hope it turns out that way but I Just do not trust the NBA refs and the League.. K-mart was fouled several times against the Pacers and only made it to the line 8 times which is great but he was fouled more than that. The next day West went to the line 1 more time than the entire rockets team...

18. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Where is Corey Maggette in this discussion. He should be MVP based on these metrics.

19. That Boi Oz

That Boi Oz Member

Good post thanks for the breakdown.

20. blink52y

blink52y Member

Great Post!
    on a different note-
    I really hope we will start kyle and bring ab from the bench.