1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] BimaThug: Houston's Future: Dollars and Sense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 22, 2010.

1. worzel gummidge

Are deadweight contracts ever included in off-season sign and trades? I can't recall any.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

For Morey, it's all about improving the quality of the team as much as possible.

Scola is by far the best PF on the team. He's a proven winner. There is no reason not to bring him back.

With regard to Jordan Hill, who definitely has some potential, my thoughts on him can be found here: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5131209&postcount=32

As far as taking a PF in the draft, that's just because this draft is a very deep one at the power forward position, and the Rockets will (wisely) select the best player available wherever they end up picking. That player likely won't be ready to be a major contributor until Yao's window is pretty much closed. So this is more about looking to the future than it is about taking a guy to "take Scola's spot".

With Amare and Bosh, Morey is once again trying to maximize the talent level on the team. If the rumors were true and a deal involving Battier, Scola and multiple draft picks (including one or both of the Knicks' picks) was close to happening, then Morey will have upgraded the PF position (although I personally would rather have Scola than Stoudemire, but I'll defer to Morey's judgment).

Don't worry too much about an apparent glut at PF for the Rockets. Morey will find a way to balance out the roster. With the various intriguing talent and prospects that the Rockets may have at that position, trading one of those PFs won't be too difficult.

3. SeasonTktHolder

I know this is a stupid crazy question...but is actually clutch the mascot (Robert) or just some guy with the name clutch? I have been on clutchfans for a few months now and I probably should already know that answer...

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3o49PBCwF2s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3o49PBCwF2s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

--RB

5. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Another thing to consider is that re-signing Scola and Lowry is likely to be cheaper this year than in previous years since the cap is lower. So, while I'm sure they'll get a good, well-deserved pay raise, this will be offset by lower league-wide salaries (except among the superstars).

6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Great point as usual, worzel. THIS is why I said in the article that a two-team sign-and-trade deal would be very difficult for the Rockets to pull off. Toronto is not going to want Battier's and Jeffries's contracts. Who cares if they're expiring? The Raptors would be ADDING that salary, even if for just one year. Unless the Rockets are sweetening the hell out of the pot, there is little incentive for the Raptors to burden themselves with so much additional salary, especially when Les Alexander can only offset it with a maximum of $3M in cash.

There were rumors leading up to the deadline that Toronto was quite interested in Shane Battier. Of course, their evaluation of Battier changes dramatically if they lose Bosh. But, who knows? Maybe they still like Battier as a calming defensive presence on a team that is terrible on D and, without Bosh, could be far and away the worst defensive team of all time next year. Combine that with the fact that Toronto is going to need all the PR help they can get after losing the face of the franchise (again), and Battier EXCELS at that. The "value added" by Battier to that Raptors team may actually be worth his $7.4M salary. Or maybe not.

If I had to guess, if the Rockets successfully pull off a sign-and-trade for Chris Bosh, there will be a third team involved who will be getting something from the Rockets in exchange for allowing Houston to take advantage of its cap room. A team like Minnesota or Sacramento that has little chance of adding a star player this summer. That, and maybe Houston takes back the salary of a Marcus Banks or a Reggie Evans in a much larger sign-and-trade (or separate, simultaneous) deal.

The possibilities are endless. Thank goodness we have Daryl Morey at the helm.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

You arent the first person to wonder that. ;)

http://www.clutchfans.net/about_faq.cfm?faqID=2

8. SeasonTktHolder

Thanks for the info...I don't have volume at work so I'll watch it tonight at home

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I could see Toronto being interested in a proven scorer and a young, high potential player, say Martin and Hill.

From the Rockets perspective, Bosh replaces Martin scoring and Hill is expendable behind Bosh and Scola.

Toronto would get value from the salaries that they take back.

And the Rockets would get keep their number one picks.

Win. Win.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Rockets aren't looking to use Martin to upgrade to Bosh, they're looking to create a big three with Bosh, Yao, and Martin. Morey's attempt at trading for Amare shows that -- he wants to bring a big three to Houston to compete with the Lakers.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would be shocked if Morey traded to get Martin so he could turn around and trade him this summer for Bosh, but then I've been shocked before! Kevin has an attractive contract considering his production. The previous 3 seasons he averaged at or above 20 ppg. Guys like that don't grow on trees.

12. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I'm yearning to know why everybody in Houston wants Chris Bosh.
    Maybe I'm just stuck on what Shaq said about him being the "rupaul of big men" ...

Enlighten me Clutchfans.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Chris Bosh pluses
    • super quick for his size and the 4 position
    • great scorer

Chris Bosh minuses
    • light rebounder for his position
    • below average defender
    • lacks strength aka soft

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You are da' man!

Thanks for further clarifying the trade's ramifications. I agree that Armstrong was a throw-in but we'll just have to disagree about Hill and whether his potential is an asset (or even real). For the purposes of a future trade, we'd better hope that another team feels the same as you. I'll look at your article about the ramifications of letting T-Slack quietly expire and fade away.

As for trusting Morey, I'm afraid that my my trust and confidence suffered a severe blow last year when he made that deal for Artest. To me, after all those years of watching CD screw-up this franchise, that move was the last straw. I was so bitterly opposed to that deal that it left a bad taste in my mouth that exists to this day. For the Rockets' sake, I sure hope what he's doing works out else fans could be in for some long years ahead.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I disagree with every single one of your minuses. FYI, Bosh is averaged 11.4 rebounds this year. Hardly "light." And as far as the soft label, I think you should stop listening to Shaq and watch him for yourself. Chris Bosh is the real deal.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Chris Bosh is the real deal. If I had a choice between Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh. I would choose Bosh. He is a better fit for this team because he has a midrange game. I like him better than Garnett and much better than Amare. H e doesn't have a dominating post up move. But that's actually not a bad thing on a Rockets team with Yao and Lowry and Martin. Bosh can play the same role as Scola with better rebounding and shotblocking skills.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Chris Bosh will be the undisputed best PF in the league within the next two years. Right now, Dirk is still kinda teetering there, but his decline is forthcoming, while Bosh is getting better.

What alot of people seem to be missing is we dont have to give up very much in a SnT with Toronto if Bosh wants to come here. Its not a competition to see who can offer Toronto the most. Our offer doesnt have to include Martin or Yao or any other major piece. Our offer simply has to make the added salary Toronto takes back better than losing Bosh for nothing. Which means its likely to be all draft picks and filler.

18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean about disagreeing about Hill. I haven't exactly taken a position on how good I think Jordan Hill will be. I just said that his inclusion in the big trade probably had more to do with the Knicks clearing up enough cap room and less to do with Morey's desire to add Hill as a player to this team.

Also, if you're going to read the Myth of 2010 Free Agency thread from awhile back, better not to read the OP (Post #1), since that information is outdated. I believe I did my last update in Post #152 of the thread: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4743200&postcount=152

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

$13.175 million is a LOT of filler. Draft picks and cash count for $0 for salary cap purposes.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My point is people seem to think we have to give up this outstanding package of players to get someone in a SnT. I just dont think thats the case. All we have to do is make it better for Toronto than if they just let him walk for nothing.

I think Jeffries + Battier + Rockets 2010 #1 + NY's 2012 #1 would get it done. Two expirings and 2 picks would probably be better than nothing.