1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rowdies - wtf?] "Who Dat?" Really?!?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpsta, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

The rowdies have been using the who dat chant for a couple of years. I know for sure since last year. Its not like they just now started using it cause of the saints. Maybe you just haven't noticed.

1 person likes this.
  2. SeasonTktHolder

I have to admit though, Rowdies ARE the only section in TC that is actually loud...This is my 3rd year as a season ticket holder and I can even tell the fans are weaker this year....
    I wish we could all get together as fans and do things like...all stand up until the Rockets make their first shot or something...any ideas guys? We really need to spice up the TC...

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You put the upper bowl crowd in the lower bowl and you will have loud fans.

Money buys really good seats not love for the team.

4. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Hey, I've been a full-season ticket holder for several years now, and I make every effort to make all the games... I'm probably at 95% of them each season, but if I miss a game, I make sure someone is going in my place. .I'm not bashing anyone's commitment to attend games, and I don't dislike the Rowdies. I like that we have someone trying to whip up some enthusiasm down there because you're right - it's like a morgue in the lower bowls on many nights.

My point is that there are unoriginal chants - like BEAT LA - that every fanbase uses. While it gets old sometimes, it's still fair game, it has a certain history to it, and it works at getting the whole arena chanting it. Using "Who Dat?" is entirely different. Not only is it an annoying chant - I mean, have we really not heard it enough this year with the Saints winning the Super Bowl? - but it distinctly belongs to a city - and that city is not Houston. Houston fans should not stoop to using "Who Dat?". That is all.

5. ILoveTheRockets

As a Saints fan, I don't like it.

But do what you do.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It doesn't matter if they started it last year or not. It's stupid, and it belongs to another team.. it's not like the Saints started using it this year

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

they've done it since they started back in 06-07, but not during the game, mostly when they do their Rowdy Romp when they go around the stadium and do it

I agree, the first year was awesome, since then, its not the same, to me they seem "corporate"

and yes, its more of who you know to get it, other than the original rowdies. I remember I went on a road trip with them to SA back in Nov. 07, the "Cowboy Rowdy" explained that he went to the tryouts without ever going to a Rockets game or even being at the Toyota Center and got picked. seriously???? :rolleyes:

The originals are awesome in my book, bryce, brandon, maya, john, amin?, 3 amigos, andymoon, those road games going with them were awesome, i think only maya/john/amin are the only ones left from the originals that I remember.

kerfield is right, its a commitment to go every game, but if their first chant for Martin is "KE-VIN MAR-TIN", yea.... thats pretty bad

#27 Dave2000, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i just know it sucks when you get kicked out of the rowdies

its always going to be tough for the rowdies to always come up with new/unique chants they should be as loud and "rowdy" as possible

i do think its really bad if becoming a rowdy has become more of a 'popularity' type contest or knowing someone. There are still some really good rowdies though I dont think we should all lump them together but at times when the camera is on the rowdies there are some there that look like they were just there chillin not doing much like it was more about the free season tickets to the Rockets than actually being a rowdy.

Thats what probably upsets me the most you get a lot of people who suddenly want to try out because its free season tix and not because they are the hardcore/crazy type fans.

it has gone too corporate though

#28 The_Yoyo, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. bloop

bloop Member

Didn't you guys steal it from the Bengals? I know Cinci has had that chant for 20 years or something

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

the saints have had their stupid chant since the early 80's. and it's based on a song from the 1800's and early 1900's

the bengals have had their stupid change since the early 80's also. i think both like to accuse the other of copying

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The "Rowdies" are pretty lame. It was a great idea when a bunch of clutchfans got online and bought tickets to sit together and help the atmosphere.

It was even pretty cool year one when they were there and got folks around them involved in chants.

I really think the best thing to do would be to have a 100 seat section in which folks could buy discounted season tickets, packages and individual game tickets as well as a few in which if you show up before the game and are loud you can get in.

This whole giving tickets away and having the group manufacture chants because it is their job has run it's course imo

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the Bengals use "Who Dey?" according to wiki, both originating from the minstrel chants as described above...

13. s2kboy16

s2kboy16 Member

There was "K" and "$" sign amongst the Rowdies.

Not a big fan of "K-Money" honestly.

14. conquistador#11

Who's the asian guy that gets all the camera time? That guy is awesome, really brings it to every game.

And to steal from the hangout, how old is too old to be a rowdy? I think I would put an age limit 21-25, and give them free beers.

15. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

As someone who flew from New York to sit in the very first Red Rowdies game, back when it was a pilot program...

This is disappointing.

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I used to think the Rowdies were cool and then I went to a Manchester United game.

Rowdies need to step their game up, especially with the lame chants.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

thats John, that guy is awesome, bring it every game, loses his voice when the game is over, and can probably kick your ass....

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's a different breed of fan.

When I get up and chant in TC people behind me tell me to sit down and stop yelling. :rolleyes:

19. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Was that the Knicks game? That was fun. I was in either the first group, or one of the first few groups of people that got "upgraded" to the rowdy section from my normal seats. We were playing the Knicks a few years back, it was so much fun. Loved that idea.

20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I'm so sorry. I'd be livid if that happened to me.