1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Jared Jeffries Start at C?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Feb 21, 2010.

?

Should Jared Jeffries start at C?

1. Yes

159 vote(s)
    67.1%
  2. No

78 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. Majinalchemy

Majinalchemy Member

Get it done Adelman!

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Jeffries is a poor rebounder at only 4 rebs in over 28 minutes a game this season.

No way should he be starting.

3. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Why not? It's not like we have anything to lose this season.

Let's see what these guys can do.

4. Htown's2kFinest

some knicks fan said this guy was the one guy on their team that actually played some D over there and kept lee from getting owned all the time in da post. hear he is very good at taking charges too. not hating no chuck but JJ does something that chuck can't...

play above the rim.

5. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

nope. Jefferies just played one of his best game of the season, this is not his normal productions.

6. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

It's probably hard to look interested when you know you are not apart of an organization's plans and are just a throw in, who probably will be traded or dumped the next chance around.

7. grantliney

grantliney Member

not strong enough to play a C. Backup C..maybe

8. fanwq

fanwq Member

Due to his sallary and size, I think yes.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He is nice, active defensively.

BUT somebody posted this, 4 rpg in 28 mpg in NY. He did a good job today, but this is ONE game.

Had a couple of missed layups (and a horrible FT shooter). Don't think he is strong enough to guard centers, more of a weakside interior defender than anything else. I am not sold on him being a center (let alone, starting center) in this league.

10. BarkleyHater84

Yeah, I think so. He's almost 7 feet tall and he's almost as good on the defensive end, but slightly better at offense. Let Jeffries play. He's gonna be here for at leat 1 more season. If we are going to rebuild, we need good character, hard working guys playing. Let's see what he has.

11. opticon

opticon Member

My answer RIGHT NOW, is no. If Jared out plays him for next 5 games or so then you dish out the minutes accordingly.

Chuck is a solid passer and knows the offense. That is the big advantage he has over Jared at the moment.

I think Jared will have a higher impact playing with the bench. That is where we need the rebound production anyway.

Chuck will be a better fit when Kevin moves to the starting line up. IF Shane goes to bench Chuck will be the only player on the floor with a defense first mentality and the team will need that.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

First part might be true. 2nd part, not really. Jeffries's offense is a tad better than Chuck Hayes, only cuz he has audacity to attempt jump shots which counts as "versatility". They both are uniquely inept at offense.

If its about above the rim play and maybe getting comparable center player play, put in Hilton Armstrong. Seriously.

Armstrong is the far better finisher of Hayes and Jeffries. Plus he grabs more boards than either of the 2. Jeffries is really a PF/SF NOT a center anyways. Armstong also has more career starts at center than Jeffries. Really this is all just a knee jerk thread anyways...

:)

13. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Chuck Hayes is not a Center and never should have been put in as one this season. Hayes is a PF and should play behind Scola. Andersen should play behind Jeffries at the C.

14. GRB

GRB Member

It's also a legit question why not...

15. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

For a guy 6'11 and his relative athleticism he doesn't' finish as well as he should though....not a good sign if he wants to earn more playing time,.

16. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

At least he shoots better free throws then Chuck.

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

At 60ish % compared to 50ish%? Neglible.

But still, he can be more productive on defense than Chuck definitely.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe he should but he isn't a better player than Hayes. Jeffries is the weirdest player I have ever seen btw. Tall, long, quick, shoots 3's, no post moves, rebounds kind of well but not really, cant really finish, is very awkward at times yet smooth while running... its just weird man. I am looking forward to watching Yao/Jeffries on the court at the same time next year though.

19. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I voted yes. Our defense actually improved alot today. I think Jeffries size will make a huge huge difference. And I think Chuck will play better with the faster group off the bench. I know this is just one game but our offensive will be just fine even if Jeffries is a offensivly challenged player.

PG: Brooks/Lowry
    SG: Martin/Budinger
    SF: Ariza/Battier
    PF: Scola/Anderson(yuck)/Hill
    C: Jeffries/Hays/Armstrong

That second line up you can mix and match...A lot of interesting line ups can happen.

A lot of people think we should tank but you have to remember this is a Houston team. We never make things easy and usually when it matters the most...the last 25 games or so in a season is when we do Clutch things. Look at the Astros and even the Texans the past season. Its just a Houston sports thing we always make things interesting in the end.

I have a feeling these two practices are just what the dr. ordered. I see a win streak coming too.

Im gonna keep my fingers crossed. Go Rockets.

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

No. Never mind the fact that he is truly a PF/SF. Even more relevant is that in no way is he part of the future of this "developing" team, neither as a player nor as a piece that will be a crucial trade component.