1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to acquire Kevin Martin (UPDATE: 3-Way Deal Reached)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 18, 2010.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think the only two you mentioned that truly matter are Lebron and to a lesser extent Wade. If they don't get either of those two I don't think they're guaranteed a playoff position.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If only it worked under the cap. :p

3. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The only thing is being talked about more than this trade on twitter is what happened in Austin

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Very very astute call. Jeffries is the sleeper in this deal and he really fits the defensive mindset of the rockets. He will help much more than people think.

5. BarkleyHater84

In the East? Sure. Just look at the Bobcats! :p

6. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I'm just glad that we now have 3 low post players who can actually go up and dunk the basketball instead of pumping faking into eternity or getting their shot block

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Bud
    Ariza/Shane/Jeffries
    Scola/Jeffries/Hill
    Hayes/Armstrong or vice versa

Scoring will have to come from Lowry and Bud on the 2nd unit with garbage bucks from Shane, Jeffries, and Armstrong hopefully

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

There is a way to repay Les and Morey for his commitment to Rockets excellence: buy game tickets, merchandinse, etc...

8. slickrick

slickrick Member

It's not a given that they sign with NY,Most of them are likely to stick it out with their teams for better deals.Whats the worst that can happen if they get lucky and get some big name,we will have the 2012 regardless

9. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Why do you assume LeBron is already in a Knicks uniform? I think given the Cavaliers recent moves that LeBron is likely going to be compelled to stay in Cleveland. It's not only a basketball decision either. LeBron is from the area and has family there. Don't tell me he has to go to NY to be a global NBA icon. I live here in NY and he's dang face is already on billboards here, and that's with him not even playing here.

The other factor is that the Knicks will also be competing for LeBron with New Jersey, Chicago, and potentially Miami. Why not go play with the Brooklyn, I mean, New Jersey Nets who already have a nice Center with Brook Lopez, and could end up with John Wall? Or how about going to play in Jordan's former playground, Chi-town, with Derrick Rose, Luol Deng, and Joakim Noah? I can see Dwayne Wade and Amar'e joining forces in Miami, while Bosh's first preference would be to play in Texas somewhere. That would potentially leave Joe Johnson?

In the event LeBron comes to NY and leads the Knicks from the darkness into the playoffs, I still think Houston made out BIG. Why? Because Jared Jeffries is practially already an expiring contract. Houston will also have Battier coming off the books next year, in addition to Yao. Do you know who is a FA in the Summer of 2011? His name is Kevin Durant. On top of that, Morey has shown the ability to pick above average role players with late draft picks.

Either way you look at it the Rockets are set up nicely going forward.

10. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

11. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

So is their a chance Battier and one of those picks get traded in the offseason?

12. champagneben

champagneben Member

ESPN poll alert: Who got the better end of the schtick? HUGELY in Rockets favor -

Rockets 64%
    Knicks 27%
    Kings 9%

WOW.

13. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

The only clear negative I see is that we go from one of the greatest benches in the NBA (with 6th man candidate Landry) to one of the worst. But...I still like the deal, especially if it allows Hill/Andersen/Budinger to develop.

14. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

please wade, and james arent going to ny, at best it's joe johnson and amar/bosh which doesnt make them a real threat....iverson?mcgrady?jermaine o neal? ray allen? LOL let's be serious.....the make or break isnt whether or not they get a knicks lotto pick, morey has already shown he can find quality players in the late 1st or even 2nd, if he picks another AB or Landry with the knicks pick it's good enough.......the big thing is kevin martin stays healthy, or if even jordan hill pans out, it's a good deal.......there's so many combinations of things that can happen that make this a good deal for the rox......I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but there is no way the rcokets dont hit on one of those.

15. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Morey going to be on Sports Radio 610. Didin't say what time

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The acquisition of Jeffries, allows Shane to go the bench as a coach once his contract comes off the books. Jeffries and Ariza will be difficult for opposing 1's, 2's, and 3's coming down the stretch with their length and athleticism.

17. shorty2334

shorty2334 Member

I don't post much even though I've been coming here for 8 years, but this is the funniest thing I've ever seen! I didn't want to see Landry go, but now that NY got raped, it's not so bad haha.

18. msakes

msakes Member

How is burnnotice aloud to talk on this forum. He thinks he knows what he's talking about.... that's the worst part about it. burnnotice STOP talking about our Rockets! you don't belong here.

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Bobcats have more depth than the Knicks will have next year. You really think a guy like Stoudamire can carry a team surrounded by a bunch of scrubs?

20. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

FREE AGENT(S), PLURAL. You act as if they could only get Lebron or Wade and that is it. They have a multitude of options and that is just playing under the cap. The Knicks have shown they are willing to go over the cap and if it meant getting Lebron, they would do it.

As far as Lebron staying in Cleveland, the Jamison trade pretty much sealed his fate. He is going to stay in Cleveland with an aging Shaq? I don't see Cleveland being able to sign bigtime free agents like Bosh or Stoudemire any easier than The Knicks...

The Knicks have a huge market and it's a desirable place to play. The Knicks would have a harder time getting Wade out of the sunny beaches of Miami than getting Lebron from 1 cold place to another in my opinion.