1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to acquire Kevin Martin (UPDATE: 3-Way Deal Reached)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 18, 2010.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Hey, if they make it happen, that would be terrific. I'd love to have Iguodala instead Ariza.

I just don't see it happening.

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Doubt can beat out Dallas/Cleveland, if Morey wants to try at all.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Nooooo, Mandry please don't leave us!

4. tested911

tested911 Member

Guy's I don't like the trade but I believe it still opens the possibilities of us getting C. Bosh this summer. 3 of the 4 guys coming in are expiring after this season + Scola... That is enough money to throw at C.Bosh.

This trade does not limit are chances of becomes a significant (if not very active) during the off season..

This has to be what Morey is thinking... + We have Kevin Martin at the 2 which is a bonus..

5. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6872624.html

Rockets trade McGrady to Kings in seven-man deal
    High-scoring guard Martin coming to Houston; Landry, Dorsey gone
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    Feb. 18, 2010, 2:51AM

The Rockets completed a deal early today to move Tracy McGrady and might just have landed his successor.

A person with knowledge of the deal said the Rockets sent McGrady, Carl Landry and Joey Dorsey to the Sacramento Kings for high-scoring guard Kevin Martin.

Six seasons after he arrived as the NBA scoring champion with league title aspirations and 6 1/2 weeks after he left the Rockets no longer believing he could help them, McGrady was dealt to the Kings when Martin became available.

The Rockets will also receive forward Kenny Thomas (a former first-round pick of theirs), center Hilton Armstrong and point guard Sergio Rodriguez. The Rockets will send cash to the Kings but, with the swap, will also move under the luxury-tax line, a secondary goal in the trade talks.

“With Yao (Ming) back next year, we think Kevin gives us a great shot,” the person with knowledge of the deal said. “This also gives us what we need this year.”

The deal reunites Martin with Rockets coach Rick Adelman, with Martin bringing the scoring the Rockets have lacked with McGrady out.

Martin, who has had injury problems in recent seasons, is averaging 20.3 points in 21 games this season, and 17.1 in his career.

Landry was the Rockets’ second-leading scorer, averaging 16.1 points per game.

The trade ends McGrady’s run in Houston much as he ended his time in Orlando. After playing relatively little following an injury, the seven-time All-Star was traded by both teams for a package of players amid varying degrees of acrimony and disappointment over promise unfulfilled.

With McGrady saying it was time he began receiving increased playing time, the Rockets instead granted an indefinite leave of absence Dec. 28 while seeking a trade.

McGrady is in the final season of the extension he signed with the Rockets before the 2004-05 season worth $22.46 million this season. Limited to brief first-half stints in six games while coming back from microfracture surgery, McGrady averaged 3.2 points in an average of 7.7 minutes this season, making 7 of 19 shots. Of his 19 points, 10 came in one game against the Clippers.

McGrady’s averaged 25.7 points with 6.2 rebounds and 5.7 assists in his first season with the Rockets, his top scoring season after consecutive years leading the league in scoring.

He finished last season averaging 23.1 points per game with the Rockets, but struggled with injuries through much of his six seasons in Houston and had knee surgeries after each of his two previous seasons with the Rockets.

He played playing just 47 games in 2005-06 because of back issues and just 35 games last season because of the knee problems that led to his microfracture surgery in February.

McGrady was second- or third-team All NBA selection in three of his first five seasons with the Rockets. The Rockets, however, never advanced past the first round of the playoffs, until last season when McGrady was out.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

6. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Does this mean Battier is gone?

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

McGrady has injury all over different body bodyparts each year also. That's not a good sign.

In 06, it was his back
    In 07, it was his shoulders.
    In 08, it was his knees.

Martin isn't the Rocket's first rodeo with an injury prone shooting guard.

8. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

If we could not get Iggy for expirings + Landry (Morey probably passed this deal by the 76ers), then most unlikely to get for expirng + Ariza.

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

But the difference with the Sac-NY possible deal and the Houston-NY deal is that Sac already has the player they want in Carl Landry. Anything TMac gives them is bonus. When we were dealing with NY, they were giving us players who weren't going to help us anytime soon and still they wouldn't waive their pick protection.

DM already tried getting Iggy from Philly but Philly wouldn't budge. Then we tried to give TMac to NY but again NY hardballed us. So we get a player we really want and need in KMart. Anything else is bonus. Les probably thought let Sacramento deal with TMac's buy-out. We ain't dealing with that guy anymore. I think that's the reason we give cash to Sacramento also.

So it seems we're really chummy with Sacramento management.

10. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I know this is a weird question, but does anyone know K-Mart's 2K10 overall rating after the most recent roster update?

I ask only because I refuse to DL the latest patch (it has bugs), and I'm sure his rating has probably dropped since returning from injury. I think my most recent roster is around Thanksgiving/ X-Mas.

Thanks guys.

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Yes. We are midgets.

12. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

You forgot the following for McGrady:

Elbow injury - Nov 07
    Knee Injury - Dec -07
    Sprained ankle - Dec 07
    Sprained ankle - Jan 09.

Illnesses in Feb 08-Upper Respiratory Infection

McGrady was overly injured. That does not compare to Martin...

Its the severity of the injury that counts...

If that's the case then Battier is and injury prone player.

#692 jsmee2000, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't even know how I feel about this.

I'm glad to be acquiring Kevin Martin, but losing Carl Landry....

Not that I had a man-crush on the guy, but I just realized that I really like the kid, and I DON'T want him on the Kings.

Well, this does confirm, and I mentioned it a week or two back (along with one or two others), we always tend to deal with the same teams. If not the Kings, it would have been Memphis, maybe Minnesota or Boston (the GMs are tight with Daryl).

14. realmustang

realmustang Member

I like Landry and it's sad to see him go but let's be realistic here. The Rockets needed and really good shooting gaurd more than they needed Landry. Shooting gaurd was our weakest position and that just got a whole lot better and we're still pretty good at PF with Scola. Kenny Thomas will back him up for the remainder of the year unless we get something out of NY if it turns into a 3 way trade as reported. Don't forget that the trade deadline is not over until 2:00 so Morey may still be planning another move.

15. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

The logic says we get Tyrus Thomas.

Stein reports that the Knicks are looking to trade Harrington's expiring for the Bulls' Thomas and Jerome James' expiring. Why would the Knicks either do a trade for expiring contracts with a zero sum gain, or take on more salary in Thomas' contract (the same amount as Jeffries next year) unless it was for other reasons?

He also reports that the Knicks are willing to pay a 'premium' for McGrady. We've also heard Hill is untradeable.

Scola and Landry are both offensive PFs. Scola rebounds. Both are defensive liabilities. You need a defensive option. Thomas fits that.

So the four-way trade I see:

Bulls get Harrington (18 points/game).
    Knicks get McGrady, Jerome James, Sergio Rodriguez
    Rockets get Martin, Tyrus Thomas, Kenny Thomas, Armstrong
    Kings get Landry, Dorsey, Hughes/Mobley, huge cap relief

The premium that the Knicks are paying is agreeing to trade newly acquired Tyrus Thomas for Sergio Rodriguez (who they apparently like) in order to ultimately get McGrady.

16. thething

thething Contributing Member

Sources tell me that the reason the Rockets liked the Kings deal over the Knicks is because Morey was unwilling to give up Brian Cook. Cook is a big part of the Rockets plans going forward.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Wow... Great morning.

18. Alief

Alief Member

Wow you and I must have the same sources, uncanny...

19. Ehter

Ehter Member

I am wondering who is now coming off the bench for Scola and bringing some offense: DA? Kenny Thomas !?! (LOL)

Wouldnt be suprise to see a third team coming into the picture, and getting those expiring contracts (KT's, Cook's and/or Rodriguez's), while the rockets get a young power foward.

If Morey does that, I'll be alright with this trade

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

The backcourt is taken care of now, we will all hope that Scola doesn"t get hurt cuz the 4 spot just thinned out big time.