1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the rockets turning into the astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets do the Chicago deal, they will mimic the Astros in one respect; acquiring over-the-hill overpriced big-name guys in decline, when the team isn't close enough to being a real contender for the antediluvian antiques to do anything but ensure the team is mired in mediocrity.

In other respects, the Rockets have done a good job of finding young talent and developing it, so up until this point the've done a very good job of not making the same mistakes as the Astros.

2. RocketMania1991

Completely Agree

1 person likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you wanna talk about fail? Read your post.

Who's won the most NBA titles this Decade?

the dreaded San Antonio Spurs.

How did they win? Through the draft and small trades.

Duncan-draft (yeah I know they tanked)
    Parker - draft
    Ganobli - draft

Like it or not Morey is building this team like RC did the Spurs.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Their are exceptions like kareem, but look how fast Hakeem and shaq dropped off the cliff. Maybe you can extend the deadline to 32, but they drop off hard.

The point is the half assed rebuilding pan usually never works.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I can't believe I am going to respond to this, but I want to help educate.

Exactly what are we blowing up by giving away NONE of our rotation players or the core young group and acquiring more assets?

Just adding Yao to the group we have now makes us 2 or 3 in the conference... imho. So how can it be logical to want to just blow it up because we didn't get a "star" for Tmac's contract?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you are more "pretender" than "contender" it is. You have to be close enough that you can legitimately expect that the deal will make you one of the 2 or 3 favorites.

Mortgaging the future for the honor of being a four, five, or six seed in the playoffs is very bad.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Astros have never made 3 straight NLCS appearances. They've only made 3 consecutive playoff appearances on one occasion, and were bounced in the NLDS each time.

Edit: And lets be fair, the Rockets did come very close. They were one game away had they beat the Sonics in 1993, that would have been 3 straight WCFs. And they made 3 out of 4. Putting either franchise down is a disservice to Houston sports.

#47 juicystream, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  8. Rockets1820

Rockets1820 Member

Guess what, the Rockets aren't the Spurs. How did the logic work out for Kwame Brown and other teams who tried to build through the draft. Getting established players is what is going to win this team a championship, not scrubs who may or may not pan out.

9. Rockets1820

Rockets1820 Member

Yao Ming doesn't make us 2 or 3 in the West. He's injury prone and we have no other stars to pair him with. Adding Yao to the roster we currently have would only put us about 5-6 in the West.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

guess what? Money doesn't grow on trees and the economy is ****ed!

You mean to tell me The Mavs are favorites to win the Championship?

are you comparing Morey's talent evaluation to Jordan's LOL!!! when you get out of school I'll help you with your homework.

really? I hear guys like you on the radio all the time. You don't know **** about cap implications and why Free agents are so risky.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Whats the common thread with most of the NBAs recent title contenders? Top 5 picks. Boston turned theirs around into KG & Allen. Cavs got James. Magic got Howard. Spurs got Duncan. The problem Houston faces, is if they get stuck in mediocrity.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Take away duncan and I don't care how many great moves they are making they would not have won 4 titles.

And getting duncan was luck+tanking, not being shrewed.

13. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

The Astros???? I think this ship is still afloat.

14. herro

herro Member

The fact that we're looking for all of these draft picks just SCREAMS "Contender 2015, maybe."

Yao's time will have run out by the time we graduate from pretenders.

I'll be a fan for life, but this is the reality here.

15. rocketnam

rocketnam Member

Thats what its looking like.Two Franchises with no real objective.They may have an objective,but it certainly isnt winning.

Rockets have a GM that injoys picking up players with no real value.

Ariza for one.Hes good to come of the bench,but hes no starter.

Now he wants Hill,Jefferies,and Hughes.The three combined do not even average 20 points a game...And how does this make the Rockets better?

Morey the Moron is going to run the Rockets to the ground with this trade.

Anyone with any real sense would wait the season out,and pick up one of the many All Stars coming up in Free Agency.

16. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Morey drafts college seniors or juniors who are more ready for the NBA than the raw talent that is usually taken early in the draft. So it's not like we would be rebuilding just getting younger and more athletic

17. REEKO_HTOWN

that's on the organization. There is a time to keep your picks and a time to trade them. You take the clippers for example. they get lotto picks and when it's time to pay them they just let them go.

It's a delicate balance and I trust Morey because he sees past easy outs.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

I'm am getting sick and tired of explaining our Cap structure to posters like you.

so I won't try.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Don't forget about the Thunder. That team is set for years. Same with the Trailblazers.

The Baby Bulls are on the other side of the spectrum. None of their picks really panned out.

20. TheGreat121

TheGreat121 Member

these r nice