1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the rockets turning into the astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 17, 2010.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You are right. Astros made the WS not tooo long ago. The Rockets have made it past the first round once in the last fifteen years.

The Rockets are ****ed as long as they believe Yao is going to be one of our best players.

2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

The Astros havent sniffed a meaningful game in August in how many years? Heck, last year it seemed the Rockets were playing meaningful games while the Astros were already looking to next year.

Rockets have been consistently better than the Astros during the first decade of this century. Also, your argument about the Sox and Yanks holds no merit because the Astros are in a different league and wont play them.

3. RocketMania1991

There success on the field which is what fans care about was superior than the Rockets.

Yes there front office has made questionable moves, but at least management isn't afraid to make moves for the club to win and Mclane constantly spends to win.

It seems they are slowly learning from mistakes though so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

4. BucMan55

That Astros team went first to worst it seems. I think I'll take my injury plagued Rockets. At least they aren't mired by front office incompetence.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

lets hope so. For now, They are dead to me and a joke to most fans in this city.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The OP makes a good point that I'm surprised others have overlooked. Yao's realistic window (and I'm being optimistic) for being the center piece of a Championship team is two or maybe three years. If the plan is, in fact, for Yao to be the main piece of this team then collecting draft picks (even first round picks) isn't going to work. There isn't enough time. Of course, it's too early to judge what Morey is doing but if a swing for the fences type move isn't made this summer then I think it's safe to say that the Rockets have given up on making a Championship run with Yao as the franchise player.

Both of the current trades do very little or nothing to make this team immediately better. I'm assuming they are part of a bigger puzzle that won't be known to the fans until this summer.

7. RocketMania1991

Uh if you want to win a championship chances are you will play the Sox/Yankees.Who have dominated this past decade, so yes you would play them.

Last meaningful Astros game ?
    Probably mid July when we were one game out of first place.
    Before that it was 2 years ago during Hurricane Ike when we were on the cusp of a playoff berth.

All the Rockets have done in the NBA is make the first round of the playoffs and then been booted out, last year being the sole exception.

And if you are bragging about the Rockets making the playoffs in the NBA then the jokes on you.

16 teams make the playoffs in the NBA compared to 8 in baseball.

And if you want to make comparisions the Astros made the NLCS 3 years in a row.
    Thats comparable to three straight Western Conference Finals which the Rockets never got close to.

8. BucMan55

But the angle on the draft picks could involve going after that elusive play-making #2 option at the 2 or 3 spot. We just dont know for sure. What we do know is that Morey isnt trying to sell tickets, he is trying to get this team to the top. And then keep them there.

9. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

No, the Rockets play basketball and I hope they'll keep it that way, I don't think Toyota Center is big enough for a baseball diamond.

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

No, unless we get rainbow jerseys

11. BucMan55

Yet they mortgaged their future to be in that position. Oh, and they lost the only world series to the Red S....er...Yank....er... White Sox..... The OP meant in terms of front office management and looking to rebuild. He wasnt talking about past success. And if past success counts, then look to the rafters at the Toyota Center. Oh, and 5 Finals appearances vs 1 for the Stros.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't forget: John Holmes, Ron Jeremy, Peter North, etc.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I agree. That's why I said these moves might be part of a bigger puzzle. My opinion is that he is, in fact, planning to use these pieces to make a run at a legit star player this summer. But if he doesn't, then I think it's safe to say the Rockets have given up on Yao as a franchise player and are rebuilding.

14. RocketMania1991

So mortgaging the future to win now is bad ?
    The Celtics knew that getting the big 3 would come back to bite them, but ask them if it was worth it and they would surely say hell yes.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

something like this?
    [​IMG]

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Baseball sucks. I wish a tornado would simultaneously hit all MLB stadiums. That is all.

17. Rockets1820

Rockets1820 Member

I thought the whole point of the nba season was about winning the title? What is patience going to do for that? If Morey thinks by getting stocking up picks to draft players that may or may not be a bust is going to win us a title that logic is a fail. We want to win NOW, we can worry about next season when we get there.

18. wadero

wadero Member

God I hope Not!!!

19. FreeBallinBlog

This is an excellent point. And Battier has the mustache to make the transition.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Some of you have no idea what you are talking about when you mention the Astros. Luckily for the Rockets, the playoffs have are much easier to make in Basketball. The Rockets wouldn't have been in the playoffs based on the MLB system since 1997. They wouldn't have even been in the playoffs to defend their title in 1995.

Two different sports. Both have been very successful since their current owners took over, but neither appears likely to win a championship in the near future.