1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trying to stockpile draft picks tells me

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As much as I'd love to have Rubio, considering that we already have the rights to Llull and he'll be able to come over sooner (IMO), I wouldn't trade all 3 picks for him. Let them choose one of the 3 and possibly offer a young asset.

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I can believe DM has the hots for Rubio, but I don't think it's life-or-death for him. If he gets a chance, he'll take it.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No its not, their weakness is star power.

I don't think Rubio would bring that either, even after he develops.

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I'm still confused on the term "generational player" haha

5. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

No way would I give three picks for R. Rubio. Golden State did that once, I believe it was P. Hardway and 3 ones for Webber. Yeah that didn't work out too well.

6. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

The T-Wolves need all the help they can get. Even if they have a ton of first round picks, there are other teams out there who might want some and they can always make moves to brings in vets.

It's NEVER a bad thing to have too many picks.

If this is all posturing to get Rubio, I'm all for it. It's risky, but the upside to the kid is so scary IF things pan out, I think you have to take the plunge.

7. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

All I have to say is Eddie Griffin, that's 3 picks right there. But I would consider 2 picks and Scola for Rubio, I don't know, I don't think Morey would give up too much though.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ricky Rubio may turn out to be a good player. Maybe even a great, all-star player.

But for the life of me, I can't possibly imagine how anyone can be anywhere close to certain of that. He has as much of a likelihood of being the next overhyped, unathletic, lacking European player. From what we've seen and his performances so far, that actually seems more likely.

In 3 or 4 years, when he is named as Europe's top young player for the 7th year in a row, you can still be stockpiling draft picks to try and trade for him.

Meanwhile, John Wall will already be a perennial all-star, generational talent and some of those picks you traded away may have turned into great players of their own.

At a minimum, I'd request that if a thread is going to be about Ricky Rubio going forward, at least note it in your thread title. Instead, I had to open this up and read once again about Rubio's awesomeness and Morey's love for him....barf.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I'm not entirely convinced about John Wall either, but that's a subject for another thread.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Then you haven't watched a Kentucky game.

11. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Now that you mention it, it makes sense for the Rockets to sell / trade their picks in for a certain player. However, the talent we're getting in the Bulls deal must appeal more to them then a possible buyer or trade with the picks.

12. Rockets1820

Rockets1820 Member

Why would we trade 3 1st rounders for Rubio? That doesn't make sense at all. Unless Al Jefferson was in the deal as well it's a no deal imo.

13. Rockets1820

Rockets1820 Member

He can't shoot FT's at all. He's not a good spot up shooter and is out of control sometimes. I don't even think he is the best player playing for Kentucky. My vote would be to Cousins.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

YEP!

this is very telling on Morey's part. I think would trade the farm for Rubio to be honest.

15. Rockets1820

Rockets1820 Member

And that would be a very dumb move. Rubio hasn't proven anything at the NBA level yet.

16. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

The reason Morey is stockpiling picks?

It would be easier to use picks as sweeteners to trade 'up' for better players, instead of having to add Brooks, Landry, Budinger, etc...

The Rockets like their core guys and young talent. Most teams have to 'dismantle' their team or have a fire sale to rebuild, while the Rockets are doing it on the fly while staying competitive.

I don't think he is targeting any specific players.

17. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

If Rubio is the light at the end of the tunnel......then that light turned out to be a train.

18. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Kobe thinks high on Rubio. Minnesota could turn into a very good team in the next couple correct moves. They'll trade what they have now just to stay young by the time Rubio enters.

19. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Rubio? i don't know if this kid would even make a difference in the nba. I'm not sold on him yet