1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey may have raised McGrady's value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2o12, Feb 14, 2010.

1. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

By waiting this thing out, which is the smart thing. With Butler and Haywood off the market, Amare most likely going to Cleveland, that takes out the buyers of the trading deadline. So, at the deadline, only a few other suitors remain, with more teams willing to sell than to buy. For example, Kevin Martin may or may not be moved, but if he is, his list of potential suitors just became smaller, with Dallas more than likely off the list, Houston's chances of getting him have gone up. The same goes for Iggy. Philly wanted Amare, and it appears Amare is headed to Cleveland, so scratch them off the list. Now, Philly says they want talent, and not just an expiring contract. They said that weeks before the deadline, not in the last hour before the deadline. So, they can still panic. Then there is Chicago, and possibly Golden State as well. The Knicks are desperate for Tmac, so they can help find another 3 way trade. The point is, T-mac will be a hot commodity come this Thursday, and we just have to wait and see. At the very least, we know Morey won't do anything to set them back a couple of years.

1 person likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Or, he might have waited too long.

We shall see what happens, this last week.

DD

3. raj87

raj87 Member

Kindly note that contrary to your bbs hangout thread, it is not always necessarily beneficial to your partner to "take a long time".

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The "waited too long" argument is ridiculous, IMO.

Morey knew the most he was willing to offer, and wasn't going to overpay just for the sake of making a move. I'm sure Washington touched base with us at some point before we made the move to see if we could top the Dallas offer, and DM wasn't going to budge.

It's not like Morey was sitting around unaware that the trade was about to happen and couldn't do anything. He just stuck to his guns- something that has paid off for him before (Carl Landry, Von Wafer, not overpaying Gortat).

4 people like this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great point. If there was a deal that Morey thought would make us better now, then he would have made it. Morey won't make a deal just to make one. I've been on edge a little hoping something would happen, but I trust him to make the right decision, deal or no deal

6. Yak

Yak Member

Exactly. Morey knew what his offer was. The Wizards probably wanted either a young asset from us, whether it be Bud or a 1st rounder, OR they wanted us to take Stevenson's contract.

Morey didn't want to do either for a move that makes us decently better THIS YEAR, and barely better NEXT YEAR. Haywood would not have stayed a Rocket.

A tandem of Butler and Yao will not take to the Conference Finals, let alone a Championship.

So let Dallas have Butler and Haywood. They have an owner who is willing to pay the big bucks, but I'm sure Les would do the same if his team already had a superstar, an experienced HOF PG, along with an explosive bench.

The Mavs simply NEEDED this move to keep Dirk and Kidd's window open a few more years.

We didn't NEED THIS MOVE.

1 person likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

What?! Who needs this kind of "logic" when it is so much easier to just "swing for the fences" like so many here prefer.

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Agreed, Morey would not have taken on Stevenson in that deal. Plus Dallas did give up Josh Howard, not what he used to be, but when healthly, can still be pretty effective. Washington obviously wanted C-Bud, Landry, Brooks, or Lowry in the deal and we declined.

Scola would have been the most I would have given up in that deal, but then I would have needed the Knicks to be in it to give us a Jordan Hill, etc.

9. paul g

paul g Contributing Member

I still have confidence in Morey. He is being patient. He knows what he is doing. Ther are plenty of options out there.Something good will come and we will all be happy on Thursday. At least the waiting will be over!!

10. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Yeah good point, EXCEPT!, Martin gets injured frequently as well. Oh and if Amare goes to the cavs I will disown him as one of my favorites. I'm still praying for iggy.

11. towW

towW Member

If Kmart was being shopped we would have heard something about him. I'd rather not have him anyways.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Nocioni (who you would probably have to take to acquire Martin) is expensive, but could be a player in our system. I think a lot of Martin and would probably give up more than just McGrady to get him.

Something like Tmac+Scola for Kmart. Nocioni and Kenny Thomas.

We would have to acquire another PF in the offseason, but Nocioni/Andersen can get some minutes there this year. But other than Brooks none of these guys are really scorers, which we are going to need next year around Yao Ming.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It will be a fatal error on DM's part,if he gets him. His first big mistake.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Alot comes down to who blinks first between Philly and the Rockets.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes, indeed. Butler/Hatward were hardly the missing links to a championship run A N D would have facillitated the need for a 2nd, or even 3rd, trade to rebalance the roster going forward.

Gloom and doom? I do not believe that.

IF, and I do not believe this will eventuate, IF TMac is not traded by Thursday then he is not bought out he becomes an SnT chip possibility come July.

I want a stud not an RJII.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you can forget about Iggy and that overpaid center.

the golden state interest could the golden goose. they have young talent and are about to be sold.

17. thething

thething Contributing Member

I think Philadelphia needs to take the deal of Iggy/Dalembert for T-Mac. They need a superstar. Having about the 9th pick in the draft will probably not get them what they need. Dumping salary is the way to go, so that they can stay under the cap and develop young talent, OKC style. By the time Elton Brand's contract expires, they will be able to sign a good free agent and possibly contend.

18. LScolaDominates

Morey has no incentive to overreach for a deal. The reason he is able to pull of deals like the Lowry one is because he has a clear idea of the players he wants and what he is willing to give up for them. If nobody on his wish list is available, he will be content to simply let T-Mac expire.

19. dreamshake27

dreamshake27 Rookie

You let me know that you may be clueless with "Amare most likely going to Cleveland".

20. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I cant believe there isnt a deal out there to upgrade the team. The hesitation to make a move has made this one of the most painful seasons. I'm still hoping for a homerun but expecting the least.