1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Remake]We Are The World 25

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jeffvangundy, Feb 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. VanityHalfBlack

First the Karate Kid and now this bullshiet remake.... Leave the 80's alone...

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pretty good until autotune and then the rap.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe he's part of their tribute to MJ. "He really would have wanted it this way.."

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I thought Jamie Foxx doing Ray Charles was hilarious.

5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

- Seemed the song's pacing was a little too quick compared to the original for some reason. I didnt like the "updated" drum & bass bump sound.
    - The original USA for Africa cause, the issues were indeed pressing but it was like the song was more informative than an urgent "do it now". This one's like Haiti sinks to the bottom of the ocean if they dont get a studio recording in before February. That, or the post-Haiti effort parties are as much a must-attend event.
    - The original song is a classic though not a masterpiece, but it at least provided a good template. This version still seemed too patch-worked. Its what it is - a reproduction-of , not unique as its own standalone song.

Overall its still alright for just the amount of vocal talent in the chorus

Yeah I thought this version was less mature if that makes sense. I think they were into it actually, or maybe its just the credibility of the artists in general. The original was a collection of ego battles and randomness, but they seemed to still approach it like a serious studio production. This remake I think the people might actually get along TOO much. Miley Cyrus and the first kid should be nowhere near a professional serious cause.

BUT, its Quincy Jones's song he can do whatever the heck he wants with it

7. Adham93

Adham93 Member

How about.........
    Steve Wonder
    Bruce
    Ray Charles
    Willie
    MJ

to

Usher
    Lil' Wayne
    Celine Dion
    Akon

Let's mention the actual talent, not just a bunch of low-class singers that slipped their way in.

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

For a good cause, sure. But give me the original anyday.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

LOL!!!

You're just proving my point for me.

10. hjg877

hjg877 Member

A remake of Rashida Jones would have been better.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

That felt weird watching... especially since I remember watching the original one as a kid. Weird.

Everyone wanted a spotlight. And the Jamie Foxxx (how many x's are in his name?) impersonation was funny, especially since he was like "that was good" at the end of it.

As a whole it seemed like they recorded everyone separately and then just copied and pasted them on top of each other. Also like someone else has mantioned, Wyclef went all out on this one.. that was nice.

It was just a shame seeing some of the talent they had on there... they really didn't utilize them to the max. Who produced this anyways? Jamie Foxxx?

And seriously... autotune? the rap I can understand and it was done in a pop-ish kinda way, but autotune? what? I thought autotune was what sorta ruined it last decade. Why highlight it? if they can't sing, just put them in the chorus or include them in the rap somehow.

12. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

You DO realize that this is his song?

Not caring about the person who originally sang this song = you fail.

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

The original version is so much better, you cant compare those two.

Im surprised that they having miley cyrus, that kid at the beginning, will.i.am, etc, they didnt invited Taylor Swift, she is so popular now.

and WTF with wyclef? and also I didnt like it the last part when someone was repeating haiti, haiti.

but anyway here is the original version:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UrymLA73V-g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UrymLA73V-g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. Rocketman2002AB

u sure its not the lead singer from p***y cat dolls?

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

who the **** are the p***y cat dolls?

sounds liek scrip club.

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

Absolutely ABSURD....... good lord...

it's hopeless...

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

I have no doubt this poster is pointing mostly to the second list of names with this statement.....

Utterly hopeless...

18. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

lol. I thought it was Kim Kardashian for a split second too.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm sure in the original version people were like "wtf.. Cindy Lauper?"
    Clearly she just wanna have fun..

Now that I've seen it again and his surprise one-hit comeback.. would've been funny if Rick Astley joined in with his roll

20. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I don't think its as bad as folks are making it out to be. The rap portion seemed to fit though the autotune rappers singing should have been left out. I'm wondering why some didn't show. From mtv's site...

" Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake were not in attendance"

What's up with that? Some of the most popular artists today and they don't make it? Didn't Quincy Jones put a sign outside that said check your egos at the door on the original recording session? Perhaps those above weren't able to do that.