1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to Fix Dunk Contest?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shovel Face, Feb 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

One try for each dunk.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Get rid of it.

1 person likes this.
  3. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

Prize money?
    same rules as the before, but the dunk score from the first round count toward the final round, so the player won't hold back until the second round.

4. TranMcGrady

TranMcGrady Member

BRING IN THE AIR UP THERE!!!

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Or people vote in dunkers?

How about actually putting in people who can dunk, like Josh Smith, LeBron, Rudy Gay, DHoward, Amare, Tyrus Thomas

6. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

Fix....

7. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Replace it with the Piss on Kobe Contest brought to you by Sprite.

2 people like this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

sign AUT and Guy dupuy, and tdub and golden child for a 30 minute contract

but i think the main problem is people are just milking out the contest.. theres nothing much to do. how many things can a regular person do with a ball and a basket? i think 25+ years of dunk contests has used it all up

9. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

After watching some old And1 tapes on Youtube, I came up with this idea:

Bring in 1 or 2 street-ball players and have them go against NBA players. Or why not have a players from streetball, D-League, and NBA. Then there would be bragging rights involved.

The only problem I see with this setup is that the streetball player has less to risk involved in terms of not having a guaranteed contract so he has to worry less about injuries. But it would be better than what they currently have. Tonight's contest put me to sleep.

1 person likes this.
  10. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

I agree to some extent, but there's always new ideas,for example dwright howard, what he did in 08 dunk contest, its was new and refreshing. Dunk is getting harder but so does people get smarter. ;)

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Have Stars participate.

12. VBG

VBG Member

Am I the only one who doesn't like Fan Voting?

I preferred judges picking winners

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

There are only so many ways to dunk a basketball. The NBA should consider only bringing it out every 4 years, at the very least scale it back to every other year.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

This.

I didn't even watch it this year. Dunking just isn't that cool anymore unless it's in a game situation and another player is getting posterized. The contest was cool at one point but it's too gimmicky and has gotten stale. I don't care if LeBron is in it or anybody else. It's just boring.

In fact, they need to revamp the entire set of all-star events. I'm not sure how but they need changes. The All-Star game is lame. The Rook/Soph game is lame. The dunk contest is lame. The skills challenge is lame.

The only event that I look forward to watching is the 3pt contest. The shooting stars thing is also watchable.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....convincing stars to participate would go a long way. Having guys prepare beforehand might help with some of the lame dunks we have all seen time and time again.

Here is the answer. No fan voting for the winner but INSTEAD, have the fans vote for the participants. I want the fans to vote Lebron, Kobe, and Dwight in together. Maybe have a rule that only the two finalists are eligible to participate the next year but other participants have to sit out a year before being allowed to be voted back in. This would promote rivalries and discourage the same dunkers always participating. Also, save one spot for a 1st or 2nd year player, put a cap on how many times you can participate(losing twice makes you no longer eligible), and players over 7 years in the league can choose to decline from being on the ballot.

16. itony

itony Member

i didnt care until nate won....by 51% i mean seriously?

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

Build a time machine, go back to the 90's, cryogenically freeze the last breed of true ballers, forward to 2100, genetically clone them, go back to 2011, and have them highlight the show.

There is no other way.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

to be honest, those dunks back then wouldve suck shet today, i mean come on, Wilkins won two dunk contest on regular windmills..

19. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

They were pioneers who sold their dunks. It's a mentality. Extrapolate that to today and you would be seeing a completely different dunk contest.

20. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Make actual Dunkers compete ya know the james' whites, Jason Richardson, or james' of the Nba world.