1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What in the world was occuring when you first signed up for Clutchfans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BlackSombrero, Feb 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

The Rockets were in heavy discussions with the Phoenix Suns to make a trade for Charles Barkley... :grin:

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

November – U.S. President George W. Bush signs the Homeland Security Act into law, establishing the Department of Homeland Security, in the largest U.S. government reorganization since the creation of the Department of Defense in 1947.

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The day Steve Francis resigned.

After lurking forever I was locked out the day Steve Francis resigned, I guess due to a high volume of traffic, so I had to register in order to view the forum that day.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Holy crap, yesterday was my 7 year BBS anniversary.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

- Space Shuttle Columbia incident: The Space Shuttle Columbia was reported to have disintegrated over Texas on its final approach to a landing after its 28th space mission. All seven crew members were killed in the disaster.

-Global protests against war on Iraq: People around the world demonstrated against the planning of war against Iraq.

- Fred Rogers, the host of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, dies of stomach cancer in his Pittsburgh home at the age of 74.

- The 45th Grammy Awards ceremony is held in New York City, dominated by newcomer Norah Jones receiving 8 awards including Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Best New Artist.

- Michael Jordan makes NBA history when he scores 43 points for the Washington Wizards versus the New Jersey Nets, becoming the first player over 40 years old to score 40 or more points in a game, and leading the Wizards to a 89-86 win.

I'm pretty sure around that time I was thinking this "American Idol" thing they're showing is the stupidest program on TV

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

11/14/2001:

Eight foreign aid workers - including two Americans - who had been accused of preaching Christianity in Afghanistan were freed by the Taliban.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

12 December 1999 (Sunday)

President Lt. General Umar Hasan Ahmad al-Bashir of Sudan dismisses the National Assembly during an internal power struggle between him and speaker of the Parliament Hasan al-Turabi.

Ah such fond memories.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

First time I visited this site: (June 2006)

+ Gay for Battier topic was in full swing. That's most divided I think the site has ever been right there (or as far as I've visited).

- Pakistan bans The Da Vinci Code film because it is said to contain blasphemous material about Jesus.

- A meteorite impact event occurs in northern Troms County, Norway. Locals compare the resultant explosion to the nuclear explosion at Hiroshima. The impact location was apparently desolate, and no structural damage or casualties are reported.

- A constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage is killed when it fails to gain the three-fifths majority required for cloture in the United States Senate. 49 Senators voted for the motion, and 48 voted against. This also fell far short of the two-thirds majority that would have been required for passage.

- Microsoft makes Windows Vista beta 2 available for general download. PC World

- United States celebrates national Go Skateboarding Day

- Jack Abramoff scandals: David Safavian, former George W. Bush White House official, is convicted of four felony counts of lying and obstruction of justice related to his dealings with lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

When I first signed up: (Dec 2006, the last week or so was pretty d@mn busy)

- Felipe Calderón becomes the President of Mexico.

- 78-year-old assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian is to be paroled in June.

-Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals scores the fastest overtime goal in the history of the NHL in 6 seconds against the Atlanta Thrashers.

- James Brown, the "Godfather of Soul," dies of heart failure at the age of 73.

- Gerald Ford, former President of the United States, dies at 93

- New Jersey Governor Jon S. Corzine signs a bill granting civil unions to same-sex couples, with all the rights and privileges of marriage. New Jersey becomes the third U.S. state to offer civil unions, and the fifth to offer some version of marriage to gay couples.

- AT&T, Inc. acquires BellSouth Corporation to create the one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world.

Former U.S. Senator and 2004 Democratic Vice-Presidential Candidate John Edwards will run for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination (I wonder how that one turned out . . .)

- Saddam Hussein is executed, by hanging, at approximately 06:00 local time (03:00 UTC).

10. AXG

AXG Member

First signed up: 2006 – Trincomalee massacre of NGO workers, is carried out by Sri Lankan government forces, killing 17 employees of the French INGO Action Against Hunger (known internationally as Action Contre la Faim, or ACF).

First visited: late-2004, I know the Rockets got off to a slow start and many posters here wanted Van Gundy fired.

11. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

April 2007

The Virginia Tech massacre was a school shooting that took place April 16, 2007 on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) in Blacksburg, Virginia, United States. In two separate attacks, approximately two hours apart, the perpetrator, Seung-Hui Cho, killed 32 people and wounded many others[1] before committing suicide. The massacre is the deadliest peacetime shooting incident by a single gunman in United States history, on or off a school campus.[2]

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I signed up on the last day of July in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_2001

In looking at the wikipedia article, nothing really stands out that happened that month of that year. However, about 45 days later after I joined, something very important happened...9/11. :(

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I just like hearing him try to be serious...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTy9DxC7uAs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTy9DxC7uAs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

"We must change the way Cali-forn-ia does business."

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Same stuff... different day.

16. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

January 8,2010 not too much going on so here's the past

Jan 8 1992 George Bush gets I'll and vomits on japans prime ministers lap. :grin:

Jan 8 1993 Chicago Bull Michael Jordan scores his 20,000th career point
    :cool:

Jan 8 1935 Elvis Presely is born.

17. Kodinh

Kodinh Contributing Member

Riots, natural disasters, and death.

June 2001

# June 1 - Royal Family of Nepal massacred.
    # June 5-6 - The Harehills riots takes place in Harehills, Leeds, UK after a questionable arrest of an Asian man for possession of an illegal car tax disc.
    # June 5-9 - Houston, TX is devastated by flooding when Tropical Storm Allison dumps 36 inches of rain on the city. Damage exceeds $5B USD.
    # June 11 - Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh executed in Indiana.
    # June 19 - 23 people killed and 11 wounded by an American missile hitting a soccer field in northern Iraq, county of Tel Afr.
    # June 20 - Andrea Yates drowns her five children in a bathtub and confesses to her crime.
    # June 21 - Actor Carroll O'Connor dies.
    # June 29 - Artist and writer Mary Barnes dies.