1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dwindling Rebounding of Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess from watching the games is that Carl seems to be trying to play help defense and jumping for blocks more (he has nice hops, not exactly a great shot blocker due to short arms, though). Maybe that's why he's out of position for defensive boards.

2. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Great post. I have been saying the same thing all along. Landry was a beast on the boards in his rookie season, but it has been going down every since, now he is just average. His defense has always been mediocre at the best, combined with his every decling rebounding, I'd prefer Scola to remain our starting PF. Scola, although not a great defender, is still much better, especially at holding his position on the block, and he has become quite a good rebounder.

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

He put more focus in his offense this offseason; It's a trade off. Have 2-3 less rebounds per game? Or have more scoring? Honestly we need the scoring; we have guys like Hayes and Battier to do the dirty work of chasing after balls.

4. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Ariza is playing more than his career average.

5. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

I think it comes from adelman wanting him to beat the bigs in transition down the court and let battier and ariza rebound.

Just my thought he has proven he can get 10 rebounds on several ocassion. against philly he had 10 and dorsey had 7

6. Dream Shake 81

the graph does not show when he got shot.
    - i wonder if that affected anything.

7. GoT

GoT Member

He is just taking care of the knee. Since he got hurt his explosiveness has only been half of what it used to be rendering his rebounding.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You don't need to be explosive to be a good defensive rebounder. Is Scola explosive?

9. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

Part of it has to do with taking mare shots. He is a bigger part of the offense, so he has to focus on more things. I also think the D. has fell of some. i am sure the shooting percentage for teams has steadly gone up. Last i also think teams are focussing on Landry, forcing other to step up

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats very true, more made shots less rebound attempts.

Within that, Rockets pace level has also gone up this year from last. The Rockets might give up 3-4 more made shots a game, Though they're also getting 3-4 more possessions a game. So the rebounding should be somewhat relative.

Landry's overall rebound % is way down (16.4%, to 13.6%, to 11.5% this year). Could be others like Ariza are taking care of the boards. Like when Steve Francis uses to take rebounds from his own team. Whereas Scola's defensive rebound % has gone UP this year from last

11. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Putting all of his energy on the offense; rebounding suffering.

12. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Hes rebounding is down maybe because teams are more worried about blocking him out before they worrie about anyone else... Last year other teams had yao to worrie about blocking out that cleared up the middle for landry to sneak in their And grab them all... this year teams are looking to block him out because he is on of the better players on the team....

13. Landlord Landry

I'm gonna go with the 'surrounded by midgets' theory.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

They're just numbers, he is still a very good rebounder.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Truthfully, he hasn't proved he is better then average recently.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No, unfortunately he is not. And explosion is not what makes a good rebounder. A good rebounder is a guy that knows how to lower his center of gravity and he has the ability to track the ball, know where the shot is coming from, and can get his body in optimal position for the caroom, which he already knows where it has the greatest percentage of going. A good rebounder can get low, lower their center of gravity, put their hip and back on someone and create space to get the board. Explosive leaping ability is a very SMALL part of the equation.

Unfortunately, Carl does not have the desire to do this. He is a POOR defender and as a consequence he is a POOR defensive rebounder. He is a little light for a big man, which makes him way quicker than most bigs on the offensive end, but his lack of girth combined with his high center of gravity that he does not lower by crouching, combined with his lackadasical defensive attitude make for a POOR defender and a POOR rebounder. Carl is a halfcourt player. His game is all on the offensive side. Granted, he is very superior on the offensive side. But he gives up a ton on the defensive side. Any skilled low post big man, either center or forward makes him look like chopped liver defensively and on the glass.

17. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

someone call Hakeem. quick.

18. choujie

choujie Member

Yeah, it was troublesome to see Landry got 1 rebound in 33 minutes a while back. He doesn't seem to have the same desire on defensive end as he is on offensive end.

A poor man's Amare, that's what Landry is right now.

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Fans like to think he is ironman, because he plays 2-3 games after an injury.

It's clear that he hasn't fully recovered. There is also the Yao Ming effect. When players are focused on boxing out Yao, Landry could rebound more. Now that Yao is gone, they box out Landry instead. Yao had made other players better and hid their defects.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I am not sure I would say Landry is a poor defender. He's been matched up on everybody from Tim Duncan to Jeff Green to Gerald Wallace to even point guards on the rare occasion. Can't say he can guard three positions, but I don't see him caught flat footed on too many occassions.

Landry plays a lot of minutes with one of the best rebounding PG in the league: Kyle Lowry; he also gives up some rebounds to Ariza.

However, I think his numbers will go up when he plays next to Dorsey, who is much bigger and stronger than Andersen.