1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommendations for a digital SLR?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jan 17, 2010.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Wanna get one for the wifey as a surprise. Problem is I don't jack about these things. Price range would be around $500-$750.

Any recommendations?

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i like lumix

3. DreamRoxCoogFan

nikon/canon are the big dogs. however, these are LENS companies, not camera companies. That means that the cameras are nothing amazing, but their lenses are the ones you want to buy as you expand and improve, so dont buy cheaper brands because you wont be utilizing full potential.

is she a photographer? or is it a hobby that she wants to get into. If so, recommend entry level SLR from either company- nikon or canon. I have a nikon, but the two are almost the same.

do NOT buy a sony. Fools gold.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

She is not a photographer, but it's a hobby for her. My friend's friend works at Sony and I could get a significant discount, that is the only reason I was thinking of a Sony.

The A550.

Or I'm thinking this canon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Dig...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1263760591&sr=1-1

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

The Ti1 is pretty cool because you can shoot some video with it as well. Just know that whatever you get, if she's serious about the hobby, then the cost of lens and maybe lighting can get expensive.

Honestly, it's a lot about getting good lens. You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon bodies.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

There is a used camera store off of Westheimer. I got me a slightly older model there that I really like. If she is ok with a used camera, could save you a little money and still get a quality camera.

7. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I have a Nikon D40. It's great. Check out this page and then read the d40 review.

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

oh yeah and look for used stuff too. A lot of people sell their stuff when they are moving up to a new level/buying the newest product

I have a D40 and love it.

9. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

where on Westheimer? do you remember the name? i'm looking into this as well, as a hobby.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I use a Rebel XS, I think a starter kits runs for $450 on Amazon.

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I have a Canon D20 that I am probably going to unload soon. Barely used in perfect condition with box and everything.

12. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

13. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Then your choice is wide open.

Sony, Canon & Nikon all make excellent cameras. The difference comes down to personal shooting style.

I will briefly list cons & pros of each system:

Sony

Pro:
    In-body stablization, all the lens you buy become stablized including primes
    AF Zeiss lens (are the best optics)
    Least post processing required

Con:
    low profile, not showy enough

Canon
    Pro:
    The pro-series before 1Dmk3 are the best pro-bodies in the world, solid built, heavy & sturdy
    Best telephoto lenses
    Wide range of lens selection
    Ego boosting
    Con:
    The sticker shock
    Need certain level of post processing skills (aka: PS PS PS)

Nikon

Pro:
    Except Dxxxx series, the bodies are better built than that of Canon, better sealed
    Fast accurate AF system
    Good lens are really good

Con:
    Cheap lens are really bad

============
    I used various systems from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Leica, Rollei & Minolta. My primary gear is made of Sony & Zeiss now adays. My portfolio is

http://www.jozphoto.com

All the photos were taken using Sony body & Sony or Minolta lens.

This was a shot taken from the back of my office last year.

[​IMG]

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

If she's not a photographer why not get her a point and shoot camera? A DSLR is expensive especially the lens. Just get her a Lumix LX3 or a Canon.